I need to trade AA miles for United? How do I do that?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by markwilhelms, Jul 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. markwilhelms

markwilhelms New Member

Status Points:
    I am flying LOT - Polish Airlines on Friday and want to upgrade to Business Class with Miles. They only trade with United Miles, which I dont fly or have any. I do however have tons of AA miles. What are you suggestions?

daninstl likes this.
  2. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    There aren't a lot of great options. You can generally start at:

http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/

to see if there's a way to convert thru other programs. I'm not sure there are any options here honestly.

You can also go to points.com and look to exchange your miles for the miles you need. The general problem with doing this is they charge HEFTY fees, often more than the points/miles are worth. But take a look and see if there's anything that works for you.

daninstl likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Enjoy coach, or find a way to buy up with cash. Alterna

Even united miles would not offer a reasonable value proposition.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You need to be in a Y or B fare class to upgrade anyways if you're trying for the Star Alliance Upgrade option.

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Open an account at Points.com to see if there are transfers or trades available. Generally not a good deal. You'd be better off to just buy some miles typically. If you have enough time you could open a credit card to boost your account also.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, as had been mentioned by DIG/R_1K - do make sure that you check on what the required cash and mile outlay would be for an upgrade - I expect the amount would be more than you will prefer to spend. You will need to be on a very expensive (often more than just buying business) fare to qualify. Typically these only make sense if someone else if buying the ticket and requires the flexibility (refundable, no advance purchase, etc.) of the expensive fares, or maybe has a negotiated rate in a high "fare bucket".

If you purchased the ticket for a reasonable price, it's probably not possible to upgrade without a lot of money out of pocket.

daninstl and B1BomberVB like this.
  7. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it is possible to upgrade at all, after Mattsteg's & DIG's warnings, your best bet is to find a friend who has UA miles & needs to fly AA or its partners. Then you book a ticket(s) for him with your miles. But even this is risky, because the AA award police are on the hunt for people who sell or barter miles & it looks like your Milepoint handle might be your real name!

daninstl likes this.