I need some help with the math...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are planning on going to Phoenix from Chicago in November in first class and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to do it is...there are 3 options...(keep in mind NO airline has tickets for some reason using points on our planned day of departure (11/26). (Return is taken care of)

1. Use UR and buy one ticket and buy the other ticket with AA...(ticket is $400 and I have like $350 in vouchers)

2. Use UR and $98 for both tickets on US airways

3. Use UR for one ticket and then transfer Marriott points (30k) and buy additional few thousand miles for total of 45,000 miles ($70).

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you considering cashing in Chase UR points to "buy" tickets at the penny-a-point option? (or whatever the exact benefit is?)

Do you have another use for the AA vouchers?

Did you look at a "double miles" award on UA for the day you said no awards were available?

Did you look at delta for awards (booking using chase UR via Korean)?

Is it the same amount of UR points required for each of your scenarios?

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    -
    - no delta or united options.

- No it would be 1.25 cents

- Yeas, in essence same amount of UR. So I guess it comes down to $98 or AA miles so then option B is the way to go right?

4. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That United/AA awards are unavailable at the moment does not mean that they won't become available between now and November. There's always speculation that awards are hardest to find at the end of the quarter, which is in three days.

Also, Tom's questions above are good ones. No one can say what is "right" without knowing how much you value Marriott points or AA points for other uses.

5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True about availability but I don't want to leave it to hope of something opening up. That being said its just that Sunday and Monday that don't seem to be available. Every day before and after are.

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sunday/Monday is the day after ThanksGiving. That's like trying to travel 11/21 ... the day before.

Not a good day imo ...

7. npupik

npupik Active Member

Status Points:
    Are you set on using pts? USAirways has 2 direct flights w first available on 11/26 for $315pp. may be better than using pts.

pcarol and Mikus33 like this.
  8. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why I am gonna use the UR and buy them at $315 straight up. I have about 42,000 so that's $530. And I'll need to pay like the $90 difference.