I need opinions ASAP!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by broncob, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

  1. broncob
    Original Member

    broncob Silver Member

    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    9
    Status Points:
    125
    Please help me MPers-
    Here is my situation (I have about 2 hours to make a decision). My daughters and I are trying to fly to PEK to see my father, who just moved there in Jan. Thanks to lots of help/guidance from Ncommander, I am currently holding three low tier award tickets from MSP-PEK leave May 9-arrive May 11th on DL/CZ. I wanted to (if possible) visit some family in Seoul as well. What I got was a May 17th depart. from PEK-ICN and a May 19th depart. from ICN-LAX overnight in LAX(to keep it at low tier) and back to MSP on May 20th at 11:34pm. J -LAX-CAN and ICN-CAN and ICN-LAX O (what they label econ?)-CAN-PEK and PEK-ICN.
    Now the tough part-this is one of those 'once in a lifetime' type trips for my daughters (8 and 10). We have just enough miles (actually we will have to do some transferring) to do this trip for the three of us in low, but I really wanted to spend more time in Beijing with my father. I have called and called and tried to start the trip as early as the 6th or stay later or drop the Seoul segment or both drop the Seoul segment AND stay later-for one reason or another-everything seems to be a no-go. My husband (his miles) only has Silver on DL, so not a lot of help there. Should I book it? Should I let it go and wait? My dad will be in Beijing until at least Dec. 2012, but there is never a guarantee of award availability in the future. I just am on the fence-it is a great trip, but not quite as much tie as I would like to spend with my dad, but maybe I won't get this chance again? What do you guys think?
     
  2. 2stepsbehind

    2stepsbehind Silver Member

    Messages:
    1,346
    Likes Received:
    20
    Status Points:
    460
    Honestly, I'd probably book if you don't have a lot of flexibility around your dates. It is possible you could get better flights, but just as likely if not more that you'd be out of luck.
     
  3. broncob
    Original Member

    broncob Silver Member

    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    9
    Status Points:
    125
    I personally have lots of flexibility (the airlines don't), but it is one of those do you go with 'the devil you know'
    As an aside, I just got off another call with and agent who kept in insisting that I was flying from LAX to China and then from China to Beijing-ugh!
     
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

    MSPeconomist Gold Member

    Messages:
    58,563
    Likes Received:
    98,528
    Status Points:
    20,020
    If you have an acceptable trip for low DL miles, don't let it get away. If you later find dates you really like better, you can change it for a fee, although you might decide that it's not worth the cost of changing.
     
  5. 2stepsbehind

    2stepsbehind Silver Member

    Messages:
    1,346
    Likes Received:
    20
    Status Points:
    460
    As you say, I would go with the devil you know. You would probably have much more flexibility if you were planning for fall, but May is shoulder to peak. I'd book now.
     
  6. broncob
    Original Member

    broncob Silver Member

    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    9
    Status Points:
    125
    2stepsbehind, you make a good point. I could go in the fall (October-ish), but since this is the first time I have ever tried this-I don't know what to expect for fall availability. I have been using Wandering Aramean, but it shows J=4 for most dates in May that I try and well as October, but DL doesn't "see" those dates, so again, I don't know what to expect.
     

Share This Page