I need one more credit card, which one to get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by disambiguous1, Oct 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My accountant has told me to get a separate credit card for my business. Since the corporation is brand new, I've been turned down for some of the better small business and corporate credit card deals. My accountant says it's no big deal as long as I have a separate card and use it just for business, so a personal card would work just as well.

I don't fly much around the US, since if I'm traveling for business I'll have an SUV full of video gear or for pleasure a load of whitewater kayaks on top of it. Also my relatives are perfectly spaced out for overnight stays in the places I usually go.

The main place I fly to is Europe. For my family I have two United Mileage Plus Visa accounts, and they've worked OK for the past three years. My wife and I also have a Marriott Rewards Visa account. Between business and personal spending, I try to use the UMP for most things outside of paying for stays at Marriott properties, and hitting the minimum spend is no problem whatsoever.

Given that, what would the InsideFlyer denizens recommend as my card for business? I'm contemplating an Alaska Airlines, as it would give me access to a whole new airline partnership outside of Star Alliance. Anything else I might want to consider? -DA1

2. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    If your primary interest is in collecting Alaska Airlines miles, then get the American Express Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) card. You'll earn 1 SPG point per dollar, but can then transfer 20,000 SPG points into 25,000 Alaska miles (or 25,000 miles in any of a large number of loyalty programs).

Overall, though, you'll probably be better off looking for a card that earns transferable points (points that can transfer to airline miles) like SPG, but also that offers the most bonus points for the type of spend you are likely to have. You mentioned driving a lot so I would recommend the Citi ThankYou Premier card. It offers 3 points per dollar (3X) for all travel and gas station purchases, and 2X for dining and entertainment. Points can be transferred to several airline programs including Air France (Sky Team alliance), Singapore (Star Alliance), and more.

Another outstanding card for point earnings is the Amex EveryDay Preferred card. This one is especially good if you spend a lot at grocery stores and gas stations and you make sure to use the card 30 times per month (they'll give you a 50% point bonus when you do).

Counsellor likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    INK 5X, CSP, 2X on the dine and wine,

OD GC 5X on any spend....

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Banks are giving 80% if your income as a CL for cards, my experience are they are very liberal,

I do have a banking relation with Chase and have had for over 29 years.