I need help maximizing miles for a large expenditure, please

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by The Travel Cat, Apr 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Travel Cat
    Original Member

The Travel Cat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm remodeling the kitchen and I am trying to figure out the best way to maximize my miles. So far I have come up with the idea of buying Home Depot gift cards via the skymiles shopping mall (earning 3 miles per dollar), and paying for the gift cards with my British Airways Visa (earning 1.25 miles per dollar). I'm wondering if this is my best option, or if anyone else has any other ideas or suggestions. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. BTW my budget is 10k, not sure if that's relevant.

Many thanks!
    - Cat...

savydog likes this.
  2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cat - where do you prefer to spend/collect your miles? Do you have a big trip in mind?

3. The Travel Cat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    gpaya,

Thanks for your reply! I don't really have a big trip in mind, but I wouldn't mind using my miles for an around the world first class ticket at some point. As for where I collect them, mainly Delta, and now British Airways (since getting the 100,000 mile card).

savydog likes this.
  4. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cat, how about adding one more step. Use the BA visa to buy an Amex gift card through Big Crumbs for 1.6% cashback, then use the Amex GC to make your purchase through the Skymiles shopping site. Assuming the entire 10K was spend at HD, you'd earn 12500 BA, $160 cash, and 30K Skymiles.

If you like my idea, and don't have a bigcrumbs account, I'd appreciate the referral!
    http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/landing.do?r=andyandy&s=66804

Good luck with the kitchen, by the way. Mrs. Andyandy and I are finishing up a bed/bath reno and definitely took advanatage of earning miles with HD giftcards!

Andyandy

P.S.: Current code for no fee gift cards is EMADWEL

sobore and savydog like this.
  5. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    Andyandy's idea +1! Didn't even think of Big Crumbs (as I don't use it). OT, but as far as renovation pricing, there seem to be phenomenal deals on Tile during the winter, since few people want to do renovations at that time. Don't know your timing, but it might be worth looking into.

savydog likes this.
  6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I would be focusing on the cost of the renovation first, then the mileage earning. Here's a note from the Sunday Tennessean (newspaper) about someone who pitted Home Depot and Lowes against each other, then combined with discount gift cards.

savydog and Andyandy like this.
  7. MrPiggy
    Original Member

MrPiggy Active Member

Status Points:
    Stop thinking in terms of maximizing miles and you'll be better off.

Get a Chase AARP 5% rewards credit card, use that to buy American Express gift cards through BigCrumbs for another 1.6% and then use the Amex Gift cards to buy Home Depot gift cards through PlasticJungle.com for another 6.9%.

Take your 13.5% savings and have fun traveling. Oh, when you do get ready to travel, because you'll be using dollars instead of miles you'll earn miles for the air part and get another 6.6% cash back from using more American Express gift cards to purchase the travel and buying the gift cards with your Chase 5% cash back card.

BTW, cardpool.com has some HD gift cards for 7.9 to 8% off, so make that 14.5% cash back savings on your remodel project.

savydog likes this.
  8. The Travel Cat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the suggestion Andyandy! I had thought about perhaps using a cashback program such as Big Crumbs, but since I've never done that before I wasn't sure how to go about it. But now I do. And I will definitely, use your link if I sign up. Thanks again!

icurhere2, thanks for the article, it was very informative! Pitting Home Depot and Lowes against each other was my next step since I currently have bids from both.

savydog likes this.
  9. The Travel Cat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mr Piggy, thanks for your suggestion! It sounds great, but I'm not sure if I can get another credit card right now. But it's worth a try. :)

savydog likes this.