I may be one night short of Diamond this year

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Garp74, Nov 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hiya,

I'm at 47 nights right now, with two more nights already booked. But my travel has pretty much wound down for the year, and I suspect I will finish with 49 nights. Any idea who I would call to ask for clemency on my 50th night? I'd rather not book a cheap night somewhere and pay for it out of pocket. I spend enough on travel, you know?

Thanks and kind regards,
    David

Kalboz likes this.
  2. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe Hyatt will extend Diamond for another year. I would suggest you call customer service and see what their reaction is. Are you prepared to lose the status if they don't and you don't do a mattress run? I would book an extra night and be on the safe side.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    OceanBreezes, Kalboz, NYCUA1K and 3 others like this.
  3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call the normal HGP number. If you don't like the answer, consider calling back. And, if no one budges, just pay for a night: Diamond may not be worth multi-week mattress runs, as some have asked about recently, but it's surely worth one night.

OceanBreezes, Kalboz, vickers and 2 others like this.
  4. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Thank you for posting about your tier inquiry. Hyatt understands that people's travel plans change and we will evaluate all accounts after the first of the year as you still have 2 months to get the remainder of your stays/nights.

Safe travels!

Becky S.

OceanBreezes, Kalboz, Muerl and 3 others like this.
  5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might help if you have another night booked just after the new year.

Kalboz, marcwint55 and Garp74 like this.
  6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would book the night. Not at all worth the stress of not knowing for sure, and depending on where you live you can get the night for about $60 or so at some Hyatt Place locations.

OceanBreezes, wrxmom, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  7. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok that's good to know. Travel will start up after the holidays and I will have 20-30 nights in January and February. Thanks

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  8. Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge
    Original Member

Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge Official Representative

Status Points:
    Good Morning,

Time to earn qualifying nights expires December 31, 2013. We re evaluate our tiers each calendar year and utilize January and February to audit accounts and make the appropriate changes for the next calendar year. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,
    Mandy R.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed. OP will appear to have kahones if Hyatt comps him a free stay night or be a fool for taking the chance.

10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would book a cheap night and not think about it anymore. No guarantees on a booking room next year and by that time it is too late.

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is no brainer if you want to have Hyatt Diamond for 2014. As many advised, just book the cheapest room.

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just do it.

OceanBreezes, marcwint55 and Kalboz like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you Becky ... Thank you Mandy! This is what I call 5-star service :)

14. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That depends on having access a Hyatt Place in an inexpensive location. INP in Seattle!

Garp74 likes this.
  15. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Or, depending on where his remaining travel takes him, it could make sense to add a night to an existing stay. Since the OP is qualifying with nights and not stays, turning his two remaining nights into three, even if he bails out early and isn't actually in the room on the last night, could fix the problem.

And while Seattle's Hyatts tend to be expensive (How is this even relevant? Garp74 is based at IAD - the land of cheap weekend Hyatt stays...), we're headed into the holidays, when rates can be soft. Thanksgiving Day rates at the Grand Seattle are $135, and you can get under $100 at HH Bellevue. While those aren't $60 rates, they're still reasonable under the circumstances.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    Garp74 likes this.
  16. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I said depending where you live. ;). Though being one night short I would rather get a good deal ($100ish) and stay at a hotel I actually liked like Olive 8!

marcwint55, Garp74 and traveltoomuch like this.
  17. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    By pure coincidence (unless Seacarl is stalking me!), the vast majority of my UA segments are IAD<->SEA.

I'm going to probably book a second night on my final trip as Traveltoomuch suggested. I take the redeye from SEA and my company's travel policy likely allows me to book the extra night's room given the very late departure. I'll check to make sure. It's a more attractive option than spending my own money - again, I spend way too much of my own money on travel for the company. It seems unavoidable, even with a meal-based per diem.

mommypoints likes this.
  18. traveltoomuch

Status Points:
    Kudos for Sticking It To The Man in this case, but just to reassure you: getting diamond is at least as much about benefit to you as benefit to them. If you end up spending $70 for a night at an IAD HP, think of it as spending money on yourself. Diamond is so worth it.

Taking this thread in a different direction: it seems odd that you'd wind up spending much of your own money on their travel - I'm curious as to what drives that. I find that I make money on meal per diems, on average. Even more so when you consider how often I eat out at home anyway.

marcwint55 likes this.
  19. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    seems like your employer will save plenty of internet and breakfast charges when you requalify as Diamond

marcwint55 and mommypoints like this.
  20. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    These sorts of threads never sit well with me.

It is nearly 2 full months before end of the line and you've announced to the company and interacted with company reps that you plan to see if the rules are real or not.

If you can't find another night in the rest of the year anywhere in the world where Hyatt is, I don't feel you deserve to have diamond. Just my personal opinion.

Esp with IAD being one of your stops. You can get all sorts of weekend rates at IAD. Reston, often $117/n with closed club. Hyatt IAD, often as little as $54/night on the weekend for full 1000 point amenity. The hyatt places are similar. You have a lot of options.

You feel you shouldn't have to spend your money on travel (and that's fine, it is your opinion) but the game is about playing within the rules as well as you can, not hoping they give you an exception because you won't spend $100 for what many value at thousands of dollars in benefits.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, it brings to mind the spectacle of a runner who gets to the finish line ahead of the pack and then wonders whether s/he should cross it...

Just do it!

Sent from my DROID4 GLOBAL using milepoint

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    OceanBreezes and Tenmoc like this.