I may actually do pay-with-miles....

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Travel2Food, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally found a situation where it comes close to making sense.

Int'l trip for 2 in Business - the $1200 fare deal works for the dates and itinerary. Repositioning flight necessary, but can do that for 1/3 of the cost on another airline. Normally, I book my ticket on revenue, and co-traveler on miles, but DL is only offering "medium" and "high" seats for the range of dates involved. That would be 200,000+ miles RT.

PWM can do the same trip for her ticket for 120,000 miles,, a 20% premium to the "low" Business award for the route.

The drawbacks, of course, are that you can't redeposit the miles in case of cancellation (but I'd have that same situation if I bought a cash ticket) and she'd get no miles credit (but she wouldn't with an award ticket). Worst of both worlds, but tolerable. I'd also need to book her on a separate itinerary - just like I'd do if it were an award - but I don't need to hassle with trying to convince a phone agent that we really are traveling together so as to access any additional PM inventory.

Never thought PWM was a good deal. It still devalues the miles for this trip, but it's close to the right ballpark.

chollie and DeltaExpert like this.
  2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you found a good deal!

3. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this. I agree with your reasoning about possible drawbacks. I had more or less dismissed PWM without really looking into it. In the future, I will consider it as a possible option (particularly when 'low' awards are virtually non-existent on a date/flight that I need).

I'm not so sure I'd consider it 'devaluing' the value of your miles. If there's no 'low' award availability, there's nothing to devalue.

4. Deltalina
    Original Member

Deltalina Silver Member

Status Points:
    1200? What route?

5. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was on the BOS-LHR or MIA-LHR introductory business fare. It's gone now.... About $1400 with all taxes.

Superb deal.

DeltaExpert likes this.