I love Venice... and you??? [Venice Master thread]

Discussion in 'Europe' started by meecks, Feb 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. meecks
    Original Member

meecks Silver Member

Status Points:
    First is there someone who don't?? Noooooo
    Ok I want to start a new thread to help people coming to my wonderful, amazing, incredible, terrific but even mistreat (from politicians) city.
    So I hope to receive questions from you about where to stay, where to dine, how to move around and even what to see, so I can give you advices...
    Remember that I live in the city and I can give you a good vision of what is good now, so don't waste all of your time reading exclusively tripadvisor!!!
    Everyone who stayed in Venice since a couple of years is invited to give advices too, as I really don't know everything about the tourism world (but if you need help about Casinò games, well I'm quite prepared!!)
    Hope you can "like" my efforts, and the thread to become a great Venice Guide!!

ARRIVING
    Tips on easing your trip to Venice

Flying
    Venice has a major airport, AEROPORTO MARCO POLO, that's 15 minutes by car or 30 minutes by boat (even if it depends on where you have to go) to Venice.
    My suggestion is to take alilaguna (http://www.alilaguna.it/linearossa.html), EVEN IF YOU HAVE LUGGAGE,it's about 24 euros (33$) roundtrip 'cause taking water taxi is really expensive.
    If you are more than 4/5, you can take water taxi, I think it's about 80/100 euros (136$), depending where in venice you have to go, and share the cost.

WHERE TO EAT

For good fish I suggest my pref as a local:

Alla vecia Cavana - Rio Terà SS Apostoli 4624
    Osteria Santa Marina - Campo Santa Marina, 5911
    La Furatola - 2870, Dorsoduro, Venezia (this is a great place!! is a venetians best kept secret!!)
    Trattoria alle Vignole (you have to take a water taxi to reach this) - Isola delle vignole
    L'incontro - Rio tera canal, dorsoduro
    Mirai - Rio Terà Lista de Spagna (the best sushi in town, and one of my fav in Europe, as I eat sushi everywhere!!)

You can go to the most famous if you want, as Testiere, Refolo; Ridotto, Da Fiore, Do Forni, but I think those are soooo overpriced... But If you want, choose just one of those, the others you can pass easy!!!

Don't forget an ice cream at Grom, in campo san barnaba and
    a gianduiotto con panna at Gelateria Nico Dorsoduro 922, Zattere

2. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

PDX1KWanabe Active Member

Status Points:
    Meecks,

I am going to be in Venice this June to start my Honeymoon, I would be more than grateful for any local knowledge you would be willing to share on what to see and where to eat outside of the usual tourist places.We are Staying at the Hilton on Giudecca...

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  3. meecks
    Original Member

meecks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hilton is a great place to stay, even if it is a bit far from the main path... So first suggestion when someone come to venice is to wear a good pair of sneakers :) you'll have to walk and walk and walk because there are so many thing to see and do that I think a couple of week is not enough!!! From your hotel you'll have a special taxi boat that runs every 15 minutes arriving to zattere
    For a complete suggestion of the place to dine out, let me know which is your preferences...
    For good fish I suggest my pref as a local:

Alla vecia Cavana - Rio Terà SS Apostoli 4624
    Osteria Santa Marina - Campo Santa Marina, 5911
    La Furatola - 2870, Dorsoduro, Venezia (this is a great place!! is a venetians best kept secret!!)
    Trattoria alle Vignole (you have to take a water taxi to reach this) - Isola delle vignole
    L'incontro - Rio tera canal, dorsoduro
    Mirai - Rio Terà Lista de Spagna (the best sushi in town, and one of my fav in Europe, as I eat sushi everywhere!!)

You can go to the most famous if you want, as Testiere, Refolo; Ridotto, Da Fiore, Do Forni, but I think those are soooo overpriced... But If you want, choose just one of those, the others you can pass easy!!!

Don't forget an ice cream at Grom, in campo san barnaba and
    a gianduiotto con panna at Gelateria Nico Dorsoduro 922, Zattere

And If you need more specifically ask with no hesitation!!!!
    Ciao Max

Kalboz, stu52 and ChgoBob like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree the most famous are very expensive- however a lunch at Do Forni equals a wonderful afternoon- and the quality is also excellent. Your other recommendations are great.

Kalboz, jbcarioca and ChgoBob like this.
  5. meecks
    Original Member

meecks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do Forni has been one of the best places in town for years, and I've been there millions of time, but, IMHO those times have passed... They decreased the quality, and locals right now prefer to go to ALLA VECIA CAVANA...
    I really hope Do Forni returns to the quality they showed me for years...
    But remember, is just an opinion...
    Max

Kalboz, jbcarioca and ChgoBob like this.
  6. PDX1KWanabe
    Original Member

PDX1KWanabe Active Member

Status Points:
    grazie meecks!

I have read plenty about Gelateria Nico, sounds like a great place to have a Gelato while waiting for the hotel boat!

I will also make a note of ALLA VECIA CAVANA and La Furatola.

Are there any places on Giudecca you recommend we have a meal or visit? We are planning on visiting the Chiesa del Redentore and spending some time at the Hilton rooftop pool!

7. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go in Winter...it's amazing!

Kalboz, Chimpy, lili and 1 other person like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes- however NOT during Carnevale.

9. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the recommendations! I'm actually in Venice right now, in my hotel on the Riva degli Schiavoni. Maybe I'll hunt down one of those restaurants for dinner tomorrow night.

Kalboz, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Stop in GamGam for lunch- thats the restaurant at the entrance to the Ghetto. The food is excellent. And say hello to Rami (the owner) from me, he'll remember me; he's a great guy.

Chimpy, Kalboz, meecks and 1 other person like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a big fan of Venice in Winter. I have preferences about where to stay and where to eat, but I am not doctrinaire about them. As long as it is low season, I love Venice.

Kalboz, Chimpy, TRAVELSIG and 2 others like this.
  12. East_Yorker
    Original Member

East_Yorker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone should go at least once in their lives.

Late-September to early October, before the floods, can be amazing. Not too many cruise ships and the associated crowds.

We found a great place to stay, Ca' dei Dogi, very near the Piazza San Marco, not too expensive, but extremely friendly. Here's a link to the TripAdvisor reviews: http://goo.gl/Hye3y

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  14. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    love Venice too !!!
    Mrs Mud and i already flew just for a one day return

15. chollie
    Original Member

chollie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another Venice fan here. I spent a week cycling around Venice (started and ended with time in Venice) in October. Lovely lovely lovely. The weather was lovely, even the half-day it absolutely bucketed down. That was the day I chose to take a vaporetto across to Murano. The water was very choppy, the lightning and lighting were extraordinary. Actually, I think the light was perhaps what amazed me most about Venice. Daybreak, day time, dusk, evening, midnight, sun, storm, I was endlessly captivated by the light. No wonder painters have spent centuries being inspired by the light. I have never seen light like that anywhere else.

(As I type this, I find a little part of my mind thinking 'time to go back, time to go back') :)

16. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Skyvillager Silver Member

Status Points:
    With so many MPers in love with Venice - we should schedule a MilePoint meet there. :)

Kalboz, chollie, lili and 1 other person like this.
  17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  19. I'm working on a trip next summer. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced hotel that is on the water?

Kalboz likes this.
  20. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any hotel in Venezia will be on the water. If you have points, the Hilton Stucky Molino is an excellent way to use them as the location is quite good and the hotel has wonderful views from the pool on the roof.

Kalboz likes this.
  21. Guess I should have been more specific. I meant a hotel on the Grande Canal. Isn't having to use the ferry to get to the main island from the Hilton inconvenient?

Kalboz likes this.
  22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The hotel has a free shuttle that runs plus the vaporetto stops close to the hotel- I don't think it is inconvenient- on the Grande Canal itself you can check out the Bauer although reasonable price is probably not part of the equation.

Kalboz likes this.
  23. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My parents are going to be staying at the Boscolo Venezia, Autograph Collection (Marriott) for a couple nights. They are going to be arriving by train and are going to take the 5.2 or 4.2 water bus to the hotel. Now the only issue I am having is getting them from the hotel to VCE. They have a 10:45am flight to IST. Suggestions?

Thanks!!

~Efilon87

Kalboz likes this.
  24. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally love Venice, have only been once though, many years ago, really would love to go back, want to find the best time to go when it is not too touristy. But also an affordable place to stay!?I've heard some good things about Hilton Molino Stucky Venice?Although the name seems somewhat strange!

25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:

Molino Stucky is the old "Stucky" mill and thus the name. It is a very nice project. See if you can find availability for October or March for example which are as close to a low season as Venice gets. Don't worry about the name- it is a good hotel and can be somewhat affordable given the overall context of Venezia.

Sweet Willie likes this.