I love Lolita

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by NileGuide, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Although it’s March in Vancouver, I find myself itching for a beach getaway, where the sun and sand replace the rain and concrete, and clear blue skies go on forever across the clear, warm waters. Though that’s not in the cards this month, I’m going to get my fix of cool tropical drinks with chunks of fresh pineapple and tasty fish tacos at Lolita’s in the colorful West End.
    On any given night, Lolita’s is packed with regulars and new faces looking to get their fix for Latin flavors in a fun atmosphere. Everything on the menu is freshly made and delicious by the talent in their kitchen and the quality of ingredients is never compromised. The atmosphere is small, but intimate and lends itself well to a perfect night with a few friends, or a date with your own hot tamale.
    Portion sizes can be quite generous and they’re ideal for sharing a few things on the menu. One of my favorite items on their menu is the Habanero Ceviche because it’s refreshing, flavorful and pairs well with a bubbly brew, or a tangy Margarita. The ceviche is made of fresh Oceanwise seafood that’s marinated in Valencia orange and Habanero and rests on a bed of homemade guacamole that can be scooped up with some blue corn tortilla chips. Delicious! Another great starter is their guacamole, which is like a two-for-one dip because there’s a pureed bean deep that’s hidden underneath the green goodness. Did I mention that they make their chips in house?
    Credit: http://www.lolitasrestaurant.com
    Another item on the menu that has been enjoyed by friends is their Turkey Tostada. It’s a healthy amount of grilled turkey tenderloin that’s dressed in a tasty pinenut and apricot mole with roasted corn and black beans. It’s on the appetizer menu, but it’s definitely enough for a main if you’re not famished.
    Credit: http://www.lolitasrestaurant.com
    Tied with the ceviche, my other favorite on the menu is their fish tacos, and if my iron is feeling low, the carne asade. You can choose two different types of tacos, so go nuts and mix and match! There are 4 corn tortillas that are served with some vibrant pickled cabbage, warm beans, rice and some cool organic greens; it’s an ideal dish to share.
    Lolita’s is one of my all-time favorite spots in the city and it’s a solid choice that has stood the test of time. Go for drinks, appies, dinner, brunch, or the whole shebang and I don’t think you will be disappointed. And, if the weather’s nice, you’re only a hop-skip-and-a jump away from English Bay and the Seawall.
    Follow Lolita’s on Twitter: @LolitasDavieSt

Continue reading...