I Like US But Are Other *A Carriers Onboard Products Better

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Gulfstream 550, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recenlty flew in First on a CO flight domestically and there was DirectTV. Wow! As much as I love US, and the recent food upgrades, there is something about United's First and CO First that was much better. Is it just me, or are there things US could do to make a better F product?

sobore, mht_flyer and viguera like this.
  2. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Directv is nice but if US would just do fleet wide wifi I would be very satisfied with their F product.

sobore and Gulfstream 550 like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, personally, for me it's all about space and seat comfort. The IFE on Pre-merger UA aircraft isn't that great (but obviously beats US' offering of... nothing), but I always have my iPad with me, so I don't actually pay attention to it. I haven't flown much on CO aircraft, but the few times I was on one I actually found the DirecTV offering... distracting. I get enough of that at home and don't really need it when I am in the air. I'd rather focus on a book, my NYTimes iPad app, or movies on the iPad. Sure, there is no real reason not to do that even with the DIrecTV monitor in front of me, but I found myself "attached" to some talking heads on TV.

Overall, while I think all US-based legacy *A carriers could probably offer a better F product, I am not sure that substantial changes would be cost-effective.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    For domestic first is generally very similar, with the exception of premium transcon service on UA and AA.

The TVs on CO are nice, but I would prefer wifi on the plane. The exception is if you're watching sports. I generally like to bring my own entertainment, i can pause it during meal service, the PA annoucement doesn't cut it out, etc.

UA is allowing any drink for a pre-departure beverage, vs. their previous OJ and Water only options. US has glenlivet and is well stocked. Take a look at the AA forum in terms of how much that matters to some.

Some of the shorter haul flights that fit into UA's meal windows but not US's is a shame. I really hope US does start serving a snack that isn't from the basket. UA's soup is delicious.

There are probably a few things here or there US can do better, but two key reasons why I think US is still competitive is first class pricing (e.g. JFK-PHX for ~300 ow), and upgrade chances on US are much higher than on UA/CO.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    My in-flight entertainment is usually my iPod and a book. The only thing I ever use the plane's IFE for is checking the plane's position on the route map (when it's available on the aircraft/route I'm on).

NYCUA1K and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only thing lacking in most AA and US flights is Wifi. They should first fix that before touching anything else

7. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming you're asking only about domestic service.

In F, I think the answer is "wait and see". CO used to have much better domestic F catering than UA. They've just "aligned" catering, and I have not yet formed an opinion. I think the CO F seat beats UA's and US's, but the differences are subtle and opinions differ.

In Y, UA has economy plus. That's been the leading reason why I've kept flying them for years. Even if I don't get F, I at least have decent legroom. CO is adding E+ to their fleet this year, with the international 757's already converted.

8. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone heard any rumors indicated US is considering fleet wide wifi? That alone almost convinced me to switch to Delta this year.

9. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will need to find it, but one of the execs mentioned at some investor conference recently that they were considering adding wi-fi to the 320 fleet. Widely available wi-fi is a big deal to me, and like you, Delta is always on my mind because of this.

10. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
  11. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Hopefully they act on this sooner than later.