I have this many miles/points; what does it mean?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tomthbomb, Jun 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't fly that much, maybe 6 to 8 times a year. I started using an AAdvantage credit card about two years ago. Below is what my AAdvantage online statement reports. What do I have and where can I go (2 people) with what I have?

YTD Elite Qualifying Points 4,XXX
    YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 6,XXX
    YTD Elite Qualifying Segments 12
    Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Dec 4, 2013 191,XXX
    500 Mile Upgrade Account Balance 0
    Million Milersm Balance** 153,XXX
    Program to Date Miles 191,XXX

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    To be clear, you want to know where you can go with your miles, so you want an award ticket, correct? You are not interested in elite status and where you stand with qualifying for that?

3. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes David, where we (two of us) can go. Don't know if I will ever have elite status with my limited flying.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well with 190K miles you can theoretically go just about any where. ;)

It might be easier to narrow down some nice options if you give a bit of information on how and where you'd like to go.

Do you want to travel in First? Business? Economy? Do you really want to see Uluru? Dine in Rome? Safari in Kenya?

Not to be difficult, but with 190K you can do so much, it's very difficult to say "Here are your options...." in a concise manner.

5. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Eco, that's what I'm used to. Contiguous 48 for two, round trip from DFW.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That costs 25k miles at the saver level per person. You have 191k miles to spend (the ones listed as "Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Dec 4, 2013").

7. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the miles.

Domestic coach is as little as 25,000 RT or as much as 50,000. Sometimes on less expensive flights it is even less. First Class starts at 50,000 and goes to 100. The lower numbers are saver awards and limited.

International coach starts at 60,000 RT and goes to 120,000 RT. Business starts at 100,000 RT and goes to 200,000 and FC starts at 125,000 and goes to 250,000.

There are ticket opportunities in the middle of each range as well. All figures are for one ticket. For two you need double.

8. wfagundes

wfagundes Silver Member

Status Points:
    International coach starts at 40K you can do a DFW-MAD / NRT / GRU / LHR all for 40k off peak.

9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go to AA's website and look at the award chart then decide where you want to go.

10. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Should have said round trip. I want to come home when I go. Give some slack to a frequent traveler that usually drives but now will gets to fly some.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Roundtrip travel is 25k for a domestic lower-48 states trip. Here's the award chart: http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/free-ticket-award-chart.jsp

12. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice. I fly so many times a year, and I still feel as if I had zero in my account :D Now I'm curious as to how much you spend on your AA CC :p

I was going to suggest Bali, but that would be 110k in J or 135k in F.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well if you're traveling as two, you currently have enough for 3 roundtrips within the continental US and Canada. If you can earn another 10K you'd have enough for 4 roundtrips.

Domestic awards on AA are pretty straightforward and there isn't really much to get creative with. International awards are a different story, but if you are just looking to visit places between the west and east coasts of the US, you can just jump on AA.com and search to your heart's content.

The only thing that pops into my mind is the use of a Dynamic Award, but those are only available to elite status members, so doesn't seem like you qualify.

Either way, enjoy. :)

14. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go first class to Hawaii for 95,000 miles each if you want to blow all your miles on one trip.

15. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful!
    There is a regional airport about 130 miles from DFW that is serviced by American Eagle. Would it benefit me to Drive to DFW or fly from the regional?

16. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    See what is available. Often you will see no saver tickets available from the regional airport but if you check DFW there will be seats. Also, if your regional airport has other non-stop destinations, check from those as well. Sometimes it is worth buying the ticket from regional airport (or even DFW) to an airport with saver availablility.

Good luck.

17. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    tom, you stated you wanted to do contiguous 48, right? i see several int'l suggestions but that isn't what you requested. as a few others have said, 25k roundtrip for the lower 48 at saver level. i would not spent more than that unless you have a specific date you have to fly.

18. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Due to my occupation I would have to have firm dates of travel. Does this limit my points flying or just require more points to do so?

Thanks for all of the help, you have been great!

19. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It might require you to use more miles. AA's awards come at two prices: sAAver and AAnytime. The sAAver awards are the discount priced awards that people are looking for since they are 25K roundtrip for continental US/Canada. These come in a limited quantity, though. The AAnytime awards are twice as much as the sAAver awards, but they are unlimited as long as there are available seats on a flight.

This usually comes into play when someone wants to book an award but can only fly on certain dates. If there is no discount space available, you would have to book the more expensive AAnytime award instead,costing you x2 the miles.

20. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Does booking extremely in advance help (as in 90 days or so)?

21. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's funny you say "extremely in advanced (as in 90 days or so)" since a few people might consider that average to late in the game. The earliest AA releases space is at 330 days out (though this isn't automatic, they might release no seats), so many people are grabbing seats almost 10 months in advance.

Yes and no. People can give you information about how they've seen award availability pop up, but the truth is that AA can release space whenever they like, so the route you are looking for might have sAAver space open at 90 days, or it might be snatched up by someone else and AA might decide not to release any extra space until 4 days ahead of time. Or they might decide not to release any extra space. It all depends on when and where you're traveling and what the flight loads look like. Always keep in mind that AA wants to sell the seat instead of giving it to you for miles, so the busier the route and season (Christmas, Thanksgiving, summer time to popular vacation destinations) the chances of getting more seats can vary.

22. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    When I fly it is usually last minute, the nature of what I do. If I had 90 days to plan I would drive.

23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Could work for or against you. Maybe you'll snag a last minute sAAver award that was just released. Or you might find you've got nothing available need to use the AAnytime for twice the miles.

24. tomthbomb

tomthbomb Active Member

Status Points:
    I will do the anytime. I have enough points to not sweat it. I really appreciate all of the help.