I have SWUs I can't use...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by BRog19, Nov 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Hi everyone,
    Just joined milepoint on recommendation of my friend at the Cranky Concierge to find out options for SWUs. I have some expiring in December (was going to use 4 to upgrade my parents to Europe, but they're postponing the trip until next year). Anyone want to swap 2011 for 2012? Even if you can't swap sent me a message if you could use them, I hate seeing them expire.
    Cheers,
    BRog

2. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only they were for AA, I could have definitely used them for my Dec. 21st long haul. :(
    Thanks for posting though. And Welcome to milepoint!

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have SWU's you can't use, and I have use I can't SWU. In a perfect universe this matter anti-matter situation would resolve itself instantly.

rggale, catgirl, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  4. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, BRog19!:)

5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have some long domestic trips I wouldn't mind applying them to, though unfortunately I have nothing to give in return. Of course, that's kind of a waste of an SWU, but if no one else has something better....

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mhmm... If you can't find enough takers, perhaps you can try the FT Coupon Connection to trade there if you had enough posts to access the forum.

7. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    FT Coupon Connection, IIRC, needs an account >180 days old and >180 posts. Otherwise, if this thread doesn't work, I think your only option is to donate them to a lucky recipient of your choice. I think there are ways to donate SWUs to charity, but I am not sure how.

8. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another problem with FT Coupon Connection is that it's flooded with UA SWU offers this time of year. :eek: I have tried to get something of value for mine, but will likely end up just using them on domestic flights...where I would get UDU anyway. Already applied one to a BOS-ORD flight.

Don't want to hijack BRog19's thread, but If anyone is interested in a SWU, I have one available, too.

Gargoyle and catgirl like this.
  9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree... The FT Coupon thread is overflooded with UA SWU offers and they still expect a lot for them... :rolleyes:

catgirl likes this.
  10. sithlord
    Original Member

sithlord Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have good success using swus on LH for c and f.

11. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they should have traded them earlier? The free market at work.

As for charity, I don't think there is a formal mechanism, but you can give one to any organization flying someone out (say, a relief or medical humanitarian organization) if they are willing to give you enough information about the employee to apply the SWU.

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying back GRU-ORD-IAD-ROC on Dec. 9th-10th in the K bucket, and could trade for a mid-range bottle of cachaça, maybe something you couldn't find here in the States. Then again, with no status and only six middle business seats on UA 842, an SWU may not stand much of a chance.

Ygor likes this.
  13. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    A SWU won't do you any good, as they're only valid on W and higher fares to/from Region 2...unless you are trying to upgrade ORD-IAD-ROC leg.

harvson3 and Gargoyle like this.
  14. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind free market at all, but I think the oversupply of SWUs shows how little value they bring to many 1Ks.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen...

catgirl likes this.
  16. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, thanks. Didn't click the T&C links. No need for the puddle hopping.

17. alohastephen

alohastephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the reasoning for the minimum activity, but I sure wish there was a way for more of us to participate in the FT Coupon Connection C'mon Randy you can do better here on MP. :)

18. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a forum here called 'the Exchange' but access is open to MP Gold members. At this point, it is not as 'comprehensive' as CC on teh otter site (probably due to a lot of folks not being aware of its existence), and CC having been 'established' longer.

Flyer1976 and alohastephen like this.
  19. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could use a pair of SWU for a charity surgical mission trip to Philippines in Feb 2012. I have not bought the ticket yet.

If anyone has one or two they are willing to donate ( :) ) I can see what I might be able to trade... at least I can send good karma. :)

ossipago and IDGflygirl like this.
  20. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    "The Exchange"

Good name. Too bad I still don't have gold status. I need to either be more indiscriminate with my posts or write better ones that get more likes. Maybe I'll try a mix of both. :cool:

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's your specialty? Your skills are probably far more valuable than the SWU. A convincing trade if I ever saw one. :D

22. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a pediatric head and neck surgeon and have been team leader for the last 12 years for a non-profit charity doing free cleft lip and palate operations on indigent children in the Philippines.

We support our own travel expenses so all funds raised to the charity are used for buying medicines and medical supplies. :)

It is really nice to be able to change a kids life that way ... cause I make the parents promise me to send the kids to school after the operation. The operation may be free to the child but to me it is "priceless".

23. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be worse, man. Look at DL, for example..only good on YBM.

24. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't everything worse at Delta?

meFIRST likes this.
  25. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Unfortunately it is worse over at DL. And interestingly it is cheaper to outright buy discounted J ( S Fares) than a non-guaranteed upgrade on an M fare for my routing right now.... by several hundred dollars on DL. :rolleyes: This was not the case when those routes were run by NW... but that was then.. this is now.