I have plenty to be happy about...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by traveltsar, Nov 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's been a while since I've posted last. I guess I went through what's equivalent to a woman going through prenatal depression. Just like a woman that felt that she's unable to bear the weight of caring for an entirely dependent and helpless life, let alone carry on with her daily tasks, I too have had my moments. I couldn't imagine life without hoping on a plane spontaneously flying off to some far off destination only to change my return flight date because I just didn't feel like coming back that day. Are those days over with? Let's just say yes; for now! Who knows what God has in store for us.

My fiancee is due in May. I already know I won't be going anywhere internationally in 2012. But, regardless, I can't wait to meet the future frequent flyer! He's (or she) going to get an early start! I just calculated, if he started as soon as she's (or he) born, all he (or she) has to do is average 29, 411.77 miles per year until she (or he) reaches my current age to make permanent gold with AA.

Make this a good day!

2. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations on the big arrival! We had two born to a surrogate in India, so our little frequent flyers had their first flight (International in BA F; It's all downhill from there) at age one month.

For now, your days of international travel are over. But babies are not that hard to travel with when they are lap children-it's when they are older and mobile that they become a problem. So don't be too reticent the first year.

I know that everyone tells you how much work kids are. They're right. There is simply no way to imagine how much work they will be. You will be frustrated, tired and in pain for much of the first three months. There will be times when you rue yourself for having brought a little person into the world. It gets much better at three months. Literally. Almost to the day. Like, exactly three months. And then it keeps getting better from there.

Ours will be three in January and are doing a fair amount of flying, although nothing international. And I'll tell you this: while the amount of work is still crazy, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that will make you feel like crying for joy more than having your kids scream, "Daddy! (or "Mommy!") as you walk in the door from work and run over and hug you. It makes the little devil-children parasites all worth it.

Mike

TravelMusing and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks mikeef for the encouraging words.

TravelMusing likes this.
  4. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're gonna do just fine! ;)

PM if you have any questions or want to know what you're in for, but I'll give you one of the "joy" stories for now:

President Clinton was signing books locally and my nanny took the kids to meet him and pick up books. When they got to the front, she picked him up so he could shake hands and when President Clinton leaned in to shake hands, my son reached out and hugged him. My nanny said the President was really touched, told her that we have beautiful children and shook hands with my daughter.

Keeping politics out of it, I now have a great story!

Mike

2soonold and TravelMusing like this.
  5. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haha. Congratulations. Your existence is about to get better (and more important).

6. traveltsar

traveltsar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I appreciate it.