I have 43,000 delta skymiles that I would like to trade for American Airlines Advantage miles.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by seanniemack, Jan 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. seanniemack

seanniemack New Member

Status Points:
    I have 43,000 delta skymiles that I would like to trade for American Airlines Advantage miles.

Sweet Willie and ffitalia like this.
  2. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are you looking for?

3. ffitalia

ffitalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go here: https://www.points.com register your program and then view trade option or make a new trade request

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    the haircut one takes with points.com has never made it attractive to me, YMMV.
    flynow asks a starting question, what are you looking for?

keep in mind a few things:
    1) 43,000 is an odd amount, meaning there are no awards for exactly 43,000 so it is unlikely to you'll end up trading all 43,000
    2) post what you want in return, do you want airline miles from some other program, hotel points, car rental, etc?
    3) airlines miles transferred into someone's account almost always makes the transaction not worthwhile from a cost standpoint. Most who trade airline miles are booking an award for the other person and v.v.

royce242, ffitalia and B1BomberVB like this.
  5. seanniemack

seanniemack New Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking for a 1:1 trade. I don't have to trade all 43,000.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should know that virtually everyone considers Delta Skymiles to worth less than any other airline's miles.

satman40, Sweet Willie and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    for another airline? If so, which one(s)?

miles & smiles post is definitely something to consider. (from my personal experience with some skymiles I had, it took me YEARS to finally find a lowest tier redemption)

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The consensus may be that DL miles may be worth less than other airlines miles,
    However if one wants to travel Trans-Atlantic in 2014 things are not quite as reported by the experts:).

For example for low level awards TA DL inventory is way far better than say AA currently.

BTW I just redeemed two low level C awards 125 k miles each TPA/ATL/MAD stop MAD/FCO stop (on AZ) FCO/LHR (on AZ) stop LHR/ATL/TPA in October 2014

ffitalia likes this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    with 43,000 miles? That is the amount of miles that is being discussed.

LETTERBOY and satman40 like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever heard of one way awards?:rolleyes:

I apologize most profusely for taking your thread so far off topic.

satman40 likes this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta does not have one way awards, at half price. They will take a one way and the same price as a round trip..

I have 27,000 and have had for years, almost worth KARMA.,

12. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you ever priced a one-way award on Delta? Unlike many I find the program sufficiently usable, but never book a one-way there.
    That's plenty for domestic coach, as long as you're not in a market where it's unusable. I generally don't redeem domestically, except for emergency, last-minute, or special cases such as flying my sister home for christmas at last minute which was not a problem to find availability.

Strangely enough, I end up burning through my Skymiles (only ever at the low rate, and with minor exceptions always in business and international) while sitting on my other miles. I try to use them first as I earn the most of them, and they get me where I need to go (and interestingly enough often to destinations that I can't get to (or at least not remotely conveniently) with UA, US, and/or AA miles)

newbluesea likes this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't priced a DL one way award ( no real need since I am an AA elite and could book on AA or BA for nay flights intra-Europe) but I almost considered doing this recently when AZ was showing LIN/PMO (a route that no OW carrier flies) for $450.00 but which I could have booked as a one award on DL for 20k miles (or a two-way and tossed the return).
    IMHO the latter would have still been a very good value.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  14. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before the increase in miles-price for F on DL, flying domestically Low F in one direction & Medium Y the other priced at 42,500 Skypesos. Now it costs 45K.
    Medium Y in both directions domestic costs 40K. If Seanniemac or his trading partner has Amex points, his account can be topped off as needed.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  15. BTBones

BTBones Active Member

Status Points:
    Please contact me.

16. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    With so much change in the industry, i'd keep an eye open for opportunities to make these miles valuable. Don't give up on them.

17. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    theres some bargains to be had with SkyRupees....I think (as far as Im concered) you can do a PDX-LAS on AS for about 25K miles still, if you get lukky.

LETTERBOY and miles and smiles like this.
  18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I have found some good (for me) redemptions with my Skymiles. That doesn't change the fact that most people don't value them as highly as AA miles, which is what the OP is asking for.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  19. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, it's possible to get value from SkyPesos. But it's rather difficult and convoluted. My hair is disappearing of it's own accord, I don't want to hurry it up. :)

20. thesatishk

thesatishk Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have a diverse set of points and can hold on to your Delta miles, you can certainly find value. Some of my recent redemptions include 35k miles for a coach ticket to Costa Rica and 77.5k miles for a coach ticket to Brazil during the World Cup. Cash tickets were going for around $1500 for the WC dates.

miles and smiles likes this.