I guess times are tough: AA.com just asked me a question

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, May 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just redeemed miles for a domestic RT.

A non-stop out and back, two segments total. So the amount due when I paid for the ticket was a whopping $5 security fee, plus miles.

At check-out, AA.com asked me if I wanted to provide a credit card number, or instead whether I wished to finance my purchase over 6 months.

--

On a slightly more serious side, it appears that the somewhat ballyhooed change by most airlines to allowing a 24-hour hold on most bookings has overridden AA's previously more lenient policy of allowing a 48-hour to 5-day hold on award bookings. This particular trip, two weeks out, was booked yesterday and would only hold to today. As recently as last month, similar award bookings for me were allowing longer holds. Not a big deal, but I did notice it.

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd finance it, unless you need the 5 miles for the purchase to post to your account at your next billing statement :p

3. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    Holds are good for 5 days unless the trip starts in the next 21 days (I think). In which case the hold is good until midnight ET of the next day.

jbcarioca and kansaskeith like this.
  4. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    See the financing thing on $5 is genius.

Wait 6 months to pay $5, but some people might forget about having to repay this since the amount is so petty.

After 6 months and one day, that $5 then becomes $5+Late Fee+ Interest.

alohastephen, jbcarioca and estnet like this.
  5. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or maybe with the financing option there is a minimum "service charge" plus interest so your $5 ends up being $15

Max M and jbcarioca like this.
  6. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know if anyone ever really did financed the huge sum of $5.

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  7. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess, not happily, is 'yes.''. After preparing hundreds and hundreds of tax returns for clients over a few years, I have stopped being surprised at certain financial choices folks make. But hey, who am I to say who's right?

While I certainly wasn't about to finance my $5, I did consider tentatively clicking that ''radio button' today just to get a quote on the terms and interest rate!

perryplatypus and AnthonyB1609 like this.
  8. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to be right, there is always at least "1".

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've actually seen this option for quite some time now. Was this your first?

10. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The conversion from hold-to-purchase this weekend was done on what seemed to me a redesigned screen. If it was there on the previous screen I just never noticed it, but yes, the last few days is the first I *recall* being offered financing on $5 or $10. Last paid (not award) ticket I bought was in February. If it was offered on a purchase of several hundred dollars, which I suppose it may have been, that would have been unremarkable and less silly to me.