I got my first upgrade (and a request for advice)!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by DAS02135, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a lowly United Premier who obtained CO Silver by linking my accounts, I just got my first upgrades in my three years as a Premier! I was upgraded on CO from EWR-PLS and again on the way back (flights to/from the Caribbean). I made a fabulous vacation that much sweeter.

Here's where I'd like advice...does anyone have suggestions/strategies for getting a traveling companion upgraded with me? I was traveling with my girlfriend and she did not get upgraded with me even though we bought the tickets on one reservation. The gate agent told me she'd only get upgraded with me if I was gold or higher. I only learned about the upgrade after landing at EWR, so I couldn't use points or money to get her upgraded. On the flight to Provo, there were at least five open seats so I tried to convince a flight attendant to let us sit together, but that was shot down so the GF took the upgrade and made faces at me in coach :)

2. santafefran
    Original Member

santafefran Silver Member

Status Points:
    No advice--just wanted to say how sweet it was of you to give the upgrade to your GF.:)

DonV.Smith and goalie like this.
  3. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In your case your only option really is to request a mileage upgrade for your companion, and hope your clears. In this case at least one of you will seat upfront (assuming the mileage upgrade clears), and in the best case you will both end up front.

You can also choose to fly to certain destinations that have easy upgrades and buy ups. For instance, I went to CUR last summer, and I cleared, my mom (silver) cleared, and a companion of mine cleared. And they offered 1st class for sale for 99 bucks on a 4+ hour flight. Generally leisure destinations in the Caribbean are easy.

No need to be a "lowly" UA Premier. Be proud of being what you are. You were born this way :D

Also, it is interesting that your first upgrade was on CO, and not on UA.

greg99, DonV.Smith and mht_flyer like this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never got an upgrade as a premier. Looks like it took a merger partner to make that happen! :p

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed and nice to see that chivalry ain't dead :)

6. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course the upgrade went to the GF ;)

When going on vacation my upgrade priority list is kids, wife, me :)

greg99 likes this.
  7. greg99
    Original Member

greg99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But where does the GF fit in that order? ;)

Horse, emajy and DAS02135 like this.
  8. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    She is not on the same flight, otherwise I think I may get thrown off without a parachute:D