I got low value from a redemption and I am happy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by boondr, Jan 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the consensus around here is to maximize the value of each mile you redeem but I did the opposite. I just booked travel for my parents, who live far away, to come visit me my son and got less than $.01 value out of each mile and I am perfectly content.

Explanation: The miles in their entirety came from first purchase sign-up bonuses that were done with these parental visits in mind. I have a personal boycott going with this airline so my intent wasn't for me to fly. My parents don't have the money to travel and would refuse out of pride if I had said I would pay out of pocket. I could "afford" the tickets, they just aren't part of our travel monetary budget right now. My Dad's health situation is not the best and although not terminal or anything, due to this I have a fear we could lose him at any time so the more Grandpa time my son gets the better.
    All these things considered with the miles budgeted for this but the money wasn't, I booked the tickets at less than $.01/mile and I am happy with that.

Thoughts?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're happy with the decision then don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be.

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seth is certainly right. You made it possible for Grandpa to see his grandchild and the grandchild to see Grandpa. As a Grandpa, my only question is why are you even asking for feedback???!!! You did a wonderfully righteous thing that will result in smiles and memories. Isn't that what we're all about? Good for you.

Just glad you didn't do what Seth would do and put Grandpa in the overhead luggage bin!!!

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I get jealous when ANYONE other than me is up there. :p

5. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your heart and your memories will still be full long, long after you have forgotten how many points/miles you spent on this.
    Anyway, why would you try to put a price tag on something that you know is priceless?

6. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its that the beauty of miles / points though? It can alternatively be about maximizing value OR simply opening the door. And either outcome is outstanding. I'm glad you were able to use yours for such an occasion.

About two years ago when my grandmother passed away, I was able to book next day tickets using Delta miles (at a decent rate, to boot) to head down for the funeral. If I did not have that stash of miles, I'm not sure I would've been able to make it down for that important event and I know my attendance meant a great deal to both myself and my father.

wrxmom, boondr, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You may not have gotten great monetary value out of the ticket but you did get a HUGE return in terms of valuable time with loved ones...a value so huge you can't put a monetary value on it. I would say it was an extremely worthwhile redemption.

"A day is a span of time no one is wealthy enough to waste."

I think that applies to this situation. Hope it is a great visit.

8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with this 1000%. Much of the monetary redemption talk here is from leisure travelers, and by leisure, I don't mean ANY non-business travel - I mean truly used for vacations/holidays. If you're redeeming for some other social value - charity work, family visits, church trips, etc. then the monetary calculations can be thrown out the window.

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know you'd love to share your bin with Deltalina.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Share is different than instead of. :oops:

miles and smiles likes this.
  11. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why you travel is much more important that the cost of travel. I recently used AA any time tickets to get a return flight from Hawaii so I could spend new years snorkling with my family. time with family is one of my top priorities.

wrxmom, boondr, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  12. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good thing I don't fit, then. :)

13. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel you OP. I burned 50K AA miles on two AS Y award tickets to LAS for my parents while I was there. They've always wanted to visit LAS so I found good value in them even though paid tickets were ~$200 per person. :)

14. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles come and miles go. Being able to redeem them for a near priceless intangible value is never a poor decision.

wrxmom, desamo, mht_flyer and 3 others like this.
  15. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the end of the day, we have two ways to pay for travel, with miles/points or with cash. If travel is needed/required/desired, then pay with currency which provides the lowest value to you.

In your case, you paid with miles/points which I assume you put a lower value on than cash. You did the right thing.

Kalboz likes this.
  16. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    And another reason that those of us who do have the ability to get more miles sometimes keep a stash of them. You just never know when you might want them for some travel that's unaffordable or otherwise unavailable.

17. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not saying anything that others haven't already - but what matters most is how happy you are with the redemption!

18. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple of years ago I paid double miles (I think 35k per person) for one-way tickets on an SFO-CUN nonstop during the Christmas holiday period. I was happy to save approx. $700pp. Sometimes it is better to save your cash, particularly if you have a continuous stream of miles (or no other use for them in the forseeable future). At the time I had a slight twinge of guilt from not getting a better ROI, but many of us are simply not in a position to be flying around the world in business class as frequently as some of the bloggers (you know, we have young children and such, and grandparents with timeshares).

We've also used miles to get saver awards for our parents to take last minute trips. No personal benefit, but the ROI is good, as is the appreciation. Nobody budgets for funerals.

19. Kistia

Kistia Member

Status Points:
    I'm completely with you. I'm going to burn a ton of points at a terrible redemption rate to go on vacation with my family (sister/husband, nieces, mother...) It's going to be more than worth it. I don't really have the money to go otherwise and it will be one of those once in a lifetime trips to see my nieces see the ocean and go snorkeling with my mom.

20. mo26

mo26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just burned 150k miles for 3 nights at a hilton in SFO for my honeymoon...Plus 60k skypesos to get us there in coach.

When you're a broke newlywed, every little bit helps :)

-MO

21. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you gotta use your points even when they don't provide the best return. Ended up spending almost 900K Hilton Pts for 6 rooms at the Conrad Bali for 5-6 nts/each for my upcoming wedding/honeymoon so that hers & my parents and siblings would not have to pay a dime for their stay.

Rooms are only going for around $200/nt so just a moderate return on the points but definitely better than shelling out more than $7K for all the rooms including taxes. Basically got a 0.78 cpp value which isn't bad for Hilton but can't quite compare to the great values in expensive cities/locations that are out there.

mo26 likes this.
  22. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the first rule regarding miles and points is "Do what makes sense for you."

Maximizing fiscal value is certainly a sensible strategy for many people, but only do it if it makes sense in your situation and for your needs and wants. Your dad and your son will have memories to last a lifetime - Awesome!

miles and smiles, boondr and mo26 like this.
  23. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good thing you did that before the devaluation.

24. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We're very lucky that selecting the Conrad as our wedding location/hotel and liquidating a majority of our points turned out to have perfect timing with the devaluation.... especially when our primary other option would have been to spend nearly 400k points at the Grand Hyatt. :eek: