I got auto rebooked for the first time ever on UA

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Mar 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excuse my excitement but I've never had this happen on UA before and yesterday was a first for me.

Originally booked DCA-EWR-SEA departing at 430pm with a 1 hour and 28 minute connection in EWR. At 1030am I got an email from UA telling me my DCA-EWR flight was delayed until 532pm which would have left me with a 26 minute connection in EWR. Unfortunately I was in the mdidle of a meeting and couldn't do anything about it at the time.

When my meeting ended I pulled up my reservation on the mobile app and lo-and-behold I was already rebooked in "R" class DCA-ORD-SEA leaving at 546pm. I wound up taking these flights with no issue and arrived in SEA on time. Turns out my DCA-EWR flight didn't depart until 640pm which would have caused a misconnect.

I'm a little bummed I didn't receive an email or a phone call from UA telling me what was going on. I had to call UA and have them remove the EWR segments so I could check-in for the ORD segments which took two seconds.

So now a question: how do you think these flights will post to my account?

1. They post as "Q" class which was my original COS through EWR?
    2. They post as "Y" because the ticket online still shows the EWR flights and the computer won't be able to figure out what my COS was so they default to "Y"?
    3. They don't post because "R" is not an eligible class for mileage earning by itself?

I don't think they rebooked me into "Q" and then upgraded me because I took the last FC seat on DCA-ORD (with 36 on the waitlist) and the second to last seat on ORD-SEA (with 22 on the waitlist). No way I would have been rebooked into "Q" and then CPU upgraded me on both flights. I also don't think I got rebooked into "Y" because upgrades for a 1K would have come out of the PN bucket.

Last point - I kept trying to SDC to get home earlier but no flight options were coming up even though multiple flights via IAH and ORD had full availability across all coach buckets. This tells me they somehow booked me into "R".

If UA is going to be proactive now about rebooking people I'm all for it. Thanks for getting me home last night UA! :tu:

-Rob

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most likely it will credit based on the underlying rebooked fare class. And I'm betting they forced it into Q and then R so you'll get the Q credit.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Re-booked flights are generically designated as Y, and if it is not something that you had done or an "act of God" that caused the re-booking, which this was not, you most likely will get the miles credited as though you had purchased a full Y/B fare, i.e., 50% COS.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on how the agent processes it. Often times an agent won't check to see if there are seats in the original fare class and just use Y since that's easier. But if the accommodation is automated or handled by an agent who doesn't have a customer scowling at them they often do it the "right" way and put the booking in the proper fare class. I've even had them force the original open for me when it was sold out in some cases so that the original booking was preserved.

And, particularly when there is also an upgrade processed on top of the rebooking, the system is much better now about crediting based on the original underlying fare.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do agree that the outcome in such situations often depends on the agent's familiarity with the procedures. What I stated above is typically how things worked under the pre-merger UA, when I was automatically rebooked on a number of occasions. One usually got rebooed in "Y" if the change was initiated by UA, after they realized that keeping things as they were would inconvenience the traveler. The miles for "Y" in that case almost always posted as a Y/B would.

stephenbgarvan likes this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd wager he gets the Q credit, based on my recent observations.

If you'll recall, there was a brief period at the beginning of last year (and maybe after 3/3, I'm not sure of the timeline) during which upgrades were resulting in premium cabin credit .

At some point they inserted code into the system that was looking back at the original booking class of anyone upgraded and those bonus miles for upgrades went away.

Now, I'm guessing they did that by telling the computer to go back and look at the booking class of the original ticket.

The reason I guess that is that, since they put that fix in place, I've received the bonus miles when rebooked into full Y and NOT upgraded but have always received original booking class miles when rebooked into full Y but subsequently upgraded into R.

So in this case I'm betting that the fact that the upgrade cleared will kick whatever bit of code fixes the earlier upgrade miles glitch into action and it will find his original ticket in Q and adjust appropriately. If he hadn't cleared the upgrade, I would bet the other way because there doesn't seem to be a similar process for cleaning up IRROPS rebookings.

TravelerRob, genemk2 and NYCUA1K like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is tough to argue otherwise if you have experienced this, and it makes one hope that the upgrade would fail so that one can get the 50% COS PQMs. For that I would gladly fly in E+ especially on a domestic trip:).

Maybe the OP should come back and provide an update so that we can learn...

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  8. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I don't know. Seems that E+ seat is all too often a middle and I'm not small enough that I can squeeze between even two average-sized people comfortably several hours. Not sure whether I'd take the extra miles in exchange for hours of discomfort.

And, yes, another observation of how these things are sorting themselves out today would be helpful.

9. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a point of comparison, I was recently rebooked into full Y (at least that's what it said on the itinerary) during some irrops. But I ended up clearing the upgrade, and I only got credit for my original fare class, listed as (ZK). I wonder if the agent will sometimes force Y to push the passenger to the top of the upgrade list - I was originally in instrument-supported F.

10. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I will definitely update the thread once the flights post.

I agree with the poster a couple of replies up. When I got manually rebooked out of STL last month I was out into "P" to ORD and then "Y" to SEA. The first flight posted as if I flew coach but the SEA segment posted as "Y" with bonus...probably because I didn't get upgraded.

I think they actually will post as "Q" because I got upgraded on both flights.

Still doesn't explain why SDC options weren't available to me in either "Q" or "Y". Might be a ticket sync issue.

Flights should post this afternoon. Will update then.

Thanks,
    Rob

11. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Flights posted today as "ZQ" so no bonus for me. Now I might try to get my ORC for DCA-EWR-SEA which would have netted me about 600 more PQM :)

-Rob