I fly JFK><ZRH. What are the best credit card bonus offers for me?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by shrinen, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. shrinen

shrinen Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey. I'm a college student who flies JFK>ZRH 2x a year with my wife. Our credit score is about 700, and I'm looking to book a flight this summer.

I'll only ever fly this route: so how can I go about finding which card to rack up points on and which might even be worth an annual fee? I probably won't be able to get 4k spending in 6 months (for the Citi AA card), more like 1.5k.

So far, Air Canada has been the cheapest for this route, but I'm open to anything. Any advice for going about getting a ton of points by June so I can buy a flight?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you hang around this forum you'll learn techniques to reach your spending thresholds for new cards quickly. If you read the Presidential Coins thread you'll find one way to reach the threshold quickly and without cost:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/presidential-coins-thread-how-to-get-miles-for-free.1111/

That would make the American Airlines card a pretty good deal.

You might also check out the Best Credit Card Signup Bonuses thread:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/best-current-credit-card-signup-bonuses.557/

shrinen, JasonH and Gargoyle like this.
  3. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK-ZRH is served by AA and LX so your points on OneWorld and Star Alliance would be best.

For immediate use, check out the Citi AA Card (1 personal; 1 business) but you must apply today! The timing may be inopportune, but the 75k deal for each card is pretty big.

If both you and your wife apply for each card, that'll be 150K AA miles in the bank ad a good start for a number of hops (in Y) across the pond. Alternatively, it'll be good for 2 round trips in premium classes.

Longer term, if you're looking at Star Alliance:

American Express SPG allows 20% transfer bonus to many airlines in the Star Alliance network, to be redeemed on LX or any other *A carrier to ZRH.

shrinen likes this.
  4. shrinen

shrinen Active Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that was definitely an incredible deal. I saw this one earlier, but the 4k spending is way over my head at the moment. Hopefully it will come back once I'm raking it in later in life ..

I think I'm going to try for the 30,000 mile Citi AA card, pending their approval. What's rough is that AA flights come to 1150 at their cheapest in the summer, which requires some calculation to see whether I'm actually going to benefit from the miles (over no-miles Air Canada, 600 ea.) Thanks for the help.