I flew TWA, loved TWA, was rewarded on TWA, travel was a joy on TWA , Mr. Parker AA is no TWA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ahappyelite, Nov 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is American taunting passengers by flying a TWA plane? Anyone remember the excitement and rewards of flying TWA? Remember frequent flyer programs before Mr. Parker and his aeroconfedadores gutted them?

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember the model T? Remember when one could drive from coast to coast without paying tolls? Remember when you didn't have to use seat belts?
    Remember when TWA was a crappy airline?:rolleyes:

anileze likes this.
  3. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    Actually people are working every day in the automobile industry and most other places to make their product better. The U.S. Aircartel is working every day to make travel worse. Today's experience is truly an abomination and your next flight is probably worse than anything I experienced in the bygone days of competitive air travel in the U.S.

4. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is definitely an imbalance in the ratio of things better:things worse. Technology has improved many aspects of travel easier, and most "real" premium cabin seats are much better than ever. Other than that, flying has definitely seen a decline in the quality of customer service and loyalty programs.

To speak out of the other side of my mouth for a moment, an airline making a profit was virtually unheard of for decades. As a businessman, I do appreciate their need to do so.

Acceptance is the only solution. Unraveling this is going to be impossible. The cost of creating a new airline which can genuinely compete is just too prohibitive.

IMHO, it is going to take a long time to see how the negative changes impact the motivation of those who travel optionally. Seems to me that people will come to the realization little by little that the value of their travel behavior is less rewarding than ever. That realization will likely determine how permanent the current trend will be.

Those traveling on higher priced fares appear to be either equally or better rewarded. That makes sense on the surface. As mentioned above, only time will tell if it is enough to keep the planes full. Either way, however, the TWA-like days are definitely in the history books.

newbluesea likes this.
  5. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    The wish of every business would be to compete in this collusive mega taxpayer subsidized environment. The airlines are essentially calculating how much worse they can make their products and still fill the seats which is easy when you copy each other's worst practices (today's aa degrades are yet a new low)-but not to worry a as partner delta is unveiling even Lower lows soon) Even after dozens of degradations, they are still whacking away. The idea that in a great country like this, we just have to accept it is frankly outrageous. Washington has gifted the sky's of the nation to a group of people who have shown no compunction or conscience in attacking their customers. This is aerial mass transit and if it was competitive it would yield only a modest return and their would be no guarantee of success. This is anything but the free market at work here. This is what we deplore about business in Russia and Africa. For the highest of high end passengers there have been some improvements, but for everyone else the cartel is confederating to deliberately make travel as ordeal a profit center. DOJ is using a tweezers when we need a wrecking ball. The mergers were conceived in overt fraud and are a massive scam on the air customer Why should the minimum wage US taxpayer pay to feather the nest of an industry that is interested in serving a couple of hundred thousand big spenders and foreign flyers? And federal prosecutors should be issuing subpoenas and executing search warrants.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You really need to get a new username. And a new hobby.

newbluesea and KenInEscazu like this.
  7. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember TWA before Carl Icahn ruined it.

And the frequent flyer program -- lots of complimentary upgrades for elites and their companions, plus mileage earned based on the cabin flown. Wonderful days. Long gone. :(

flyforawg, Pizzaman and ahappyelite like this.
  8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember flying on planes with smoking sections. Cough, cough.

9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still have my porcelain cups from TWA..., ask them for one and they would get one out of the box...

No lie flat seats,

10. ahappyelite

Status Points:
    It's incredible to see the core, unsustainable antisocial, greedy ethos of the airlines-an industry that thought nothing of putting the taxpayer on the hook for a $15 billion bailout a little more than a decade ago. It is interesting to see some commentators here seem to be obsessed with allowing the airlines to run amuck-seem to lose sleep over their need to pig out. Rest assured as they raise fares sky high for college kids, active and retired military, Starbucks baristas, the bereaved, those who miss a flight through no fault of their own-they could care less what hardships they impose . Remember taxpayers: no waivers, no favors. Just show us the algorithms. It's fascinating to talk to airline employees-the companies literally make no effort to provide quality anything-it is purely a quarter to quarter cash grab and this mindset will destroy the country if it keeps raging with governmental blessing. What if everyone acted like the carteliers?

satman40 likes this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last 2 flights have had over 100 empty seats., and the flight went out as scheduled.

Not every flight is profitable, but the airline put the service there for the public, because the politician deemed it necessary.

Most business fail due to excess regulation, legal fees, and not operating under the old law of supply and demand.

You can tell I own a business, have my own money on the line, and take pride in providing a quality service, as we expanded, Unions and Government seem to want to run the operation, I often wonder where they were when thing were tight starting out. I have yet to have a paid day off, or even a paid vacation. The nice thing I get to pick which 12 hours of the day to work. Sure is nice being the owner..

KenInEscazu and Counsellor like this.
  12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do recall the story of the Little Red Hen, don't you?

13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or at least ditch the "happy" part :D

HaveMilesWillTravel and brodyf like this.
  14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only 12 hours? You slacker. ;)