I flew DL yesterday...and it was good

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by redtailshark, May 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...although not quite best in class.

EC seat opened up on check in for sector one on the CR9, that was fine. I was tight on time because of car parking shena at PHX - reserved spot not available at 4am and some shuffling caused me to miss 30 min shuttle and put me at T-45. I was already checked in so just needed the bag drop. DL check in was efficient and the CSR thanked the shark for Silver Medallion business. Muahaha! If only she knew....but I accepted with grace.

I remained # 7 of 9 for 1 seat on this sector - don't get me wrong, I have no expectation whatsoever of UG and neither should you DM gamers - but it's interesting to see how the UG list works.

Everyone sitting next to me had NRSA printed on their BPs. Perhaps even they are being demoted to EC by Shena monitoring?

Delay occurred on the inbound while at LAX and when I clicked on the delay flag, DL.COM presented me with nine alternative options to my destination. I didn't check to see whether any of them would actually work/ticket because none of them could get me there sooner than the delayed itin. I was #17 of 19 for 1 open F seat on the UG list when I last checked - a surprisingly short DL mainline UG list out of LAX I think. Because FO have no chance of UG, it removes the stress of worrying about Shena and once EC is assured, an FO has won. Lower expectations help a lot.

Never mind the SC, T5 itself was a zoo so I walked along the cool tunnel to T6 and even that had more space and comfort. I made a couple of desultory efforts to book the latest Wideroe.no fare without success and headed back to T5 in time for boarding. Zone 1, I'll have you know and it was enforced.

Actually on this 738 which had no IFE except drop down screens, I had a better deal than F pax. The F meal didn't look as appetizing to me as the BOB Y wrap, and I used one of my FO vouchers to guzzle the Canadian Club. Since even F pax didn't have Woodford, there was no loss there either. My seat in aisle of row 10 had more legroom than the F seats. The FA in First came back with more coffee for me without saying why... maybe could see MM on the manifest, I don't know, but none of the other Y pax received such coffee at that time.

Amusingly for you readers and o-so-fitting for a shark trip on DL, the guy to my right spent over an hour of the flight logged on to DL.COM searching the AWARD CALENDAR and being confronted by a sea of yellow and dark blue. Muahahaha! I have no idea if he was able to book. I refrained from the classic Katy Perrryesque chant of PHL...FCO....PHL....FCO! PHL! FCO! etc. and just went to sleep. We made up about 10 mins and although bag claim took ~30 mins or so, all in all, it was a good value trip, at least until the Thrifty RDU car rental fiasco which had nothing to do with DL.

Since I don't have to actually fly DL - for the moment - to remain FO, I'd say this was a decent deal in terms of service and hard product. For me, DL is competitive with B6 and F9 for such trips - where the marginal value of FF points is zero because requal on UA is assured.

SM by contrast are irredeemable. SM sucks rocks now and perhaps forever. Even Jeff is (slightly) concerned about how badly they've degraded the program and what impacts it might have judging by the blizzard of recent surveys to his captive DM and PM members.

I don't care a whit about SM so my purchasing decisions in some ways closely approximate those of the new kettle they seek to recruit - if Star itins are not needed.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  2. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, but the mission is accomplished. Have you looked up JR's profile on LinkedIn lately? :)

David

redtailshark likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha! Best in class, indeed! Not only that, he's now a "3rd degree connection" of mine. Small world.

DiverDave likes this.
  4. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sweet. How close are you and Richard? :confused:

David

gregm likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shark would eat him if too close!