I Feel Nekkid...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by BurBunny, Jun 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...traveling without my passport.

Have a trip to Tanzania and Kenya this fall, and due to other international travel starting in August and going almost non-stop after that, realized I needed to get my act together and get my visas in order. With heavy heart, I waved goodbye to my passport last Friday on its way to the Kenyan Consulate.

It's always difficult to separate from it, but more so due to the fact I'm doing a MR on the 4th and have gotten used to using my passport as ID even when flying domestically. It's just so easy and I feel more secure using it rather than my DL. I thought I'd be okay without it, just this once.

Surprise, surprise, however, and Kenya processed my visa in a single day and my beloved blue book is on its way back to me, should be back in my eager hands Thursday or Friday, in plenty of time. I didn't realize how much I was dreading traveling without it until I realized I'd have it back. Of course, when I return after the MR it has to go off again to the Tanzanian Embassy, but no immediate travel until the end of July, so no stress other than concern for its safety enroute.

For me, my passport represents freedom. I still remember when I got my first one, "just in case" I had an opportunity to travel internationally. Actually only used that first one a couple times, but my second got filled and my third will likely have to have a second (or third) set of additional pages added before it expires.

Am I alone in this love affair with my passport? Do any of you suffer the same separation anxiety when you must be apart?

mynameismud, sobore and mht_flyer like this.
  2. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't say that I love my passport the way you love yours. Then again, it had been sitting in a drawer collecting dust (for all intents and purposes) until I started traveling internationally for work - mostly to Canada in 09/10, then once to Korea last year, and now to Germany, Czech Republic, France, and Switzerland. Prior to 2009, it had been used twice - once for business to Canada in 2007 and once on my honeymoon to Tahiti in 2003.

I have 2 other passports - my first from when I was 4 (and none to happy about being woken up to take the picture) and my second from when I was 16. I'm currently on my 3rd. Of course, every time, I had to submit a fresh application as the previous passports had expired years before. I don't expect that to happen again.

3. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    me too...:p

4. mynameismud
    Original Member

mynameismud Gold Member

Status Points:
    i had my first passport when i was 14 even though i travelled abroad before that
    but you did not need one if travelling within a few european countries (that was of course before EU/ Schengen)
    My first passport was not filled that much,
    The second one a bit more...but still had a few blank pages
    Now my third one will either need some additional pages or i will need a 4th one...

i also carry my passport even for domestic travels.
    i can easily pick it up if i need to leave in a hurry...:) but i however do not carry it every day
    i now have a passport cover to protect it as much as i can (my precious :D)

i do not like to leave my passport for a few days into an ambassy...what would happen if i need to leave the country ??
    i like it even more since it now enables me to go faster through immigration using automatic controls

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I pretty much do the same thing, using the passport always as my travel ID. I also use it if I need to prove my age, etc. because I don't like the idea of showing my home address to strangers.

I need to get a passport card as a backup.