I Don't Have A Clue How Points Work!!!

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by migx85, Apr 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. migx85

migx85 Member

Status Points:
    My son and I plan on flying to Barcelona in July on US Air. Would it benefit me to get the US Air Mastercard now? Can it save me money on my upcoming flight? I appreciate any help I can get.

gregm and Wandering Aramean like this.
  2. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    First Welcome to MP:cool: and I don't Really think it will save you any money as you already purchased the flights just make sure you have Frequent Flyer Accounts with Us AIr and earn miles for said flights. And maybe down the road if you are plannig another trip set your GOALS and then apply for the cards that can help achieve them.

gregm likes this.
  3. migx85

migx85 Member

Status Points:
    I have yet to purchase the tickets so can it possibly save me money to get the card now? I have been reading some of the posts and it is just a lot to try and take in!! LOL :eek:

gregm likes this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having the US Airways credit card will not save you money on purchased-for-dollars tickets.

Possible advantages to having the card now (you would have to check into the details of the card, which I don't recall at the moment):
    1. You will probably earn double-spend miles on that card if used to purchase those tickets.
    2. You will probably be entitled to a free checked bag on domestic itineraries that you would otherwise have to pay for (but I think international flights probably include a free checked bag).
    3. You may be able to board earlier.
    4. You will have access to first-class check in facilities.
    In other words, not enormous advantages. But if you're planning to get the card anyway, now's a good time.

gregm likes this.
  5. migx85

migx85 Member

Status Points:
    Below are the benefits from getting the card with an annual $89.00 fee.

Anyone know what it means to earn "Up To" 40,000 bonus points. Are there criteria in order to get the full 40,000 bonus points?

Earn up to 40,000 Bonus points after your first purchase.
    Redeem flights for 5,000 fewer miles
    Earn 2 miles for every $1 you spend on US Airways purchases and 1 mile for every $1 you spend everywhere else
    Annual companion ticket good for up to 2 companion tickets at $99 each, plus taxes and fees
    Zone 2 boarding and First Class check-in

gregm and vickers like this.
  6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are always subtly different versions of the offer floating around, but if it's this one: https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply...ignId=1894&cellNumber=2&referrerid=PTRBA89FEE then it's 30K miles plus 10K miles for a balance transfer -- and balance transfers almost always carry a fee that overwhelmingly negates the value of the miles earned, not to mention that if you're playing the game correctly you don't have any balances to transfer.

Counsellor and gregm like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The footnote explains this:

gregm likes this.
  8. migx85

migx85 Member

Status Points:
    That's the one and I do not have any balances to transfer. Thanks Larry for taking the time to help me out! Thanks Ariosto for your help as well!

gregm likes this.
  9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just signed up for this card. No telling how long it will be around so I wanted to get those miles, even though I have never flows US Air. But I do fly American. :)

gregm likes this.
  10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. You do not need to transfer a balance, just make a purchase. You may want to check out the 100,000 mile bonus on the Citibank American Airlines card if it is still available. I believe you have to spend 10k within 3 months, but those miles could be a big help. If you have a spouse or significant other, they too can apply for the card and get the bonus miles for the spend.

Check some of the other forums here and also some of the blog sights, as there were some very cheap tickets available for summer travel to Europe. I think they were on United, but I don't remember for certain.

gregm likes this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought you received Lounge privileges, with the card, , I do with mine,

It is nice to wait in the lounge, the 100k, AA Card will get you in there..BAR is a great place to visit, check out Madrid you can use it as your departure city.

Enjoy.

12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP has a US Air MasterCard, probably issued by Barclay. Is that what you have? And it gives you lounge access? How often? Mine does, too, but only once a year.

(If there's another flavor out there, I'm interested.)

gconnery likes this.
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are right it is one time, we have access with the AA Ex card, use to access US Air with the United access...no more.,

14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's what Gary said:

"Folks should have until early next year to apply for the US Airways card. And the opportunity to apply will go away after that, but not the opportunity to keep and use the card."

based on this post: http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2014/01/16/us-airways-card-barclays-going-away-due-merger/

I've got two. The wife has two. I'll probably do one more round before they disappear. Whether they'll approve me? YMMV

vickers likes this.
  15. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could probably apply for the Barclay US Air card and get the miles in a month or two. Might be a bit close to your departure given that you might want to buy the tickets earlier to save money, the award seats might disappear etc. Also, you're only going to get 30,000-35,000 miles for a US Air card application in that time (you can do this multiple times and build up your balance over time, but not in the time you have left).

As @marcwint55 pointed out there is a Citi AA Executive offer here:
    https://creditcards.citicards.com/u...1&ProspectID=8289431BF5BC49478648B92A43DF07A8
    which will earn you 100,000 miles for $10k of spend in 3 months. Fee is $450 though you'll get $200 of that back on your first statement.

It all depends how much spend you can generate, how much time you've got, how many miles you need for the tickets you're buying etc. I suspect you don't have enough time.

marcwint55 likes this.
  16. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I personally prefer to earn British Airways Avios for my USAir flights, but first check the earning percentage on the fare you buy. Full US/AA miles are better than half Avios!

satman40 likes this.
  17. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avios works great, in the US, love them in the Midwest,,,

18. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're even better now that USAirways is in OneWorld! I just booked CHS--PHL 1-way for 4500 Avios + $2.50 TSA tax!

satman40 likes this.
  19. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool, You can also do some Alaskan Air, and maybe upgrade, something you can not do on award travel with AA or US Air.