I don't even know if people can do this anymore....

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Grandmax4, Jul 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    BUT....it's worth a shot asking....

Is there a site somewhere, or maybe here where people donate miles to other people who have emergency travel needs and no way of getting there without the charity of someone else?

I'm guessing there have to be business people who rack up more miles than they can ever use....

I came out to TN from CA on an emergency one way flight because my daughter was having seizures during the last week of her pregnancy (mommy and baby are fine now) but between me getting here, and now, my husband was laid off. He worked for new century trucking as a driver. They stranded him in Denver 24 hours after closing their doors from a bankruptcy ( there is currently a class action law suit filed by employees of new century for what they did to them)

Anyway, I'm now stuck here in TN along with my 6 year old daughter....and we realllly need to get home. It's been a month already, I'm lost my job because I left. We literally are close to penniless and I can't expect my daughter to pay for my flight when she just had her 3rd child.

I feel embarrassed to even ask...but that's where desperation has stepped in....

Does anyone have any suggestions? Avenues of help I haven't thought of? Miles they would be willing to donate?

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long have you been there, as New Century shut down a month ago?

3. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    A month. Two days after I got here, he was laid off. :/. My daughter was hospitalized for the last week of her pregnancy and I flew out one way not knowing how long I'd be needed here. My grandson turned three weeks old and it seems the worst is behind them. Has been for the past week, I feel like I'm just in the way now but hubby has yet to secure a new job (thank you economy)

Wouldn't be and issue if he was working.

My boss replaced me, I only worked part time at a local grocery store, but he said once I come back there will be something I can do....but I just need to get myself and daughter home.

Any ideas?

4. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    I should add I made the mistake of paying three months of every bill we had before I left (mortgage, car payments, insurances....etc and so on) since I wasn't sure how long I'd be here and hubs is normally on the road except for one weekend a month...and he can't handle the finances.....so....yeah....here I sit, doubt the mortgage company will refund...

I panicked....my oldest was in crisis. 20/20 hindsight is a wench.

deant likes this.
  5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could try http://www.angelflightsoars.org/ they are in TN and arrange free travel for people with medical. Since you traveled for a medical reason and now can't get home they may help, couldn't hurt to contact them.

You could try the http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/
    or other local faith based groups in the area which may also be able to help.
    I know my church as a discretionary fund set up to help in emergencies like this.
    Good luck.

Flyer1976 and WilliamQ like this.
  6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt that you'll get an outright donation here, but it's more likely if you're more specific about what you need. Which airports are you willing to fly in/out of (is driving to ATL an option)? Any day/time restrictions? (Keep in mind that if fares are relatively high, as they may well be, award seat availability is also likely to be limited.)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Flyer1976 and WilliamQ like this.
  7. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    I looked into angel flights by recommendation of someone else, they told me since the emergency was essentially over I was not eligible. If I had used them to get there I'd have been able to use them to go home...I will check salvation army....thank you!

8. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    Smart cookie.....I'm so stressed, that info would have helped huh?

I'd really like to be home by Tuesday the 15th....I'd need to fly out of Nashville but can fly into any of the SoCal airports, Ontario, lax, John Wayne, even vegas and I can get someone to pick me up there. I have zero restrictions on times, and don't care about changing flights. It's a pain in the butt but the more planes we go on the more happy my 6 year old is. Lol

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's another idea...

If you attended some form of religious congregation back home perhaps you can reach out there as well to help you out?

Have you also considered perhaps taking Greyhound or a bus back home (usually cheaper than flying I'd think).

10. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    We aren't really a church going family....spiritual and believe, but don't feel the need to go to an organized building to have God in our lives.....maybe I need to re-evaluate that.

I looked into greyhound, it's about 250 a ticket and takes between two and three days to get home. If it was me, I'd be fine with it, but a 6 year old that gets carsick just driving from where we live to San Diego....I don't think she could handle it, and I'd hate to make other passengers suffer with her whining and potentially tossing her cookies.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    $287 one-way BNA to LAX:

flight2.png

or if you find someone with too many miles to use (aka not me), 25k UA miles for two one-ways to ONT:

flight1.png

12. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the information. I'd even be willing to buy the miles if someone would be ok with a payment plan.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Flyer1976 and IDGflygirl like this.
  14. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    We are a very small family so that's out....I went to them first. I got the idea to see if someone could donate miles from one of them actually. Im usually the one helping my friends out...I know what they have and they don't. I asked the few I thought might be able to help out.... :(

Truly appreciate the ideas tho.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No personal experience with this and you'll need to read about it at https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/booking/flight/whatIsBML.aspx and decide whether it's the right thing for you, but it seems UA (perhaps other carriers, too) have a Bill-Me-Later feature:

bill_me_later.png

I doubt that you'll find someone willing to donate 25k or 50k miles. And selling miles is against the rules of all programs and can lead to severe sanctions from the airline, so I doubt you'll find any takers for that approach either.

IDGflygirl and Flyer1976 like this.
  16. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    Well, some good friends set up a go fund me account and are donating to get us home. Thank you so much for your thoughts and ideas. California here we come....I hope!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's kind of what I suggested with the Gift Registry. Safe travels!

18. Grandmax4

Grandmax4 New Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. It's been a humbling day. People I've helped in the past but are still struggling organized to get us home. The power of pay it forward in action :)

Gargoyle and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Make sure whatever airline you fly, you have a frequent flier account. Then come back here and look at the ways to accumulate miles (the credit card bonus route might not be good if you already have limited credit, but there are lots of ideas that come up here).

traveltoomuch likes this.
  20. marianparlors

marianparlors New Member

Status Points:
    That could be tricky but still thank you so much for the bright ideas. It is really worth sharing!

Ciao.

21. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I missed a segment or two of the stream. Has Grandmax4 made it home?

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    She's not been back on this site (logged in at least) since July 11, so I don't think we know.

23. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update, I will keep an eye on this. I have been burning miles this year but I still have a few left.

24. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're kind but I do wonder what happened as well in the end. :confused: