I did something really stupid

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jazzk, Jul 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jazzk

jazzk Active Member

Status Points:
    I applied for a Citi Business AAdvantage Visa back in January and fulfilled the spending (so I thought) and assumed that my 50,000 miles had been deposited into my AA account. Well, today I decided to start looking for an off peak award ticket to Europe and realized I didn't have enough miles. I went back and looked at my credit card spending and realized that I was short by about $75 and so never received my bonus. I think I somehow missed this since Award Wallet doesn't track AA.

I am obviously sick about this and it's never happened before in almost 2 years of churning. My question... If I sign up for the Citi Business Mastercard can I get the 40,000 miles being offered right now? Or do I have to wait 18+ months before applying again? I am hoping since I never got the bonus then I can still receive it by simply applying for another business card in the next month or so.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

You should get the bonus, although I had Citi once tell me that they only allow one business credit card per customer.

3. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    When churning goes bad...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. jazzk

jazzk Active Member

Status Points:
    So I guess it's impossible to know for sure. Maybe I will cancel my current one just to be safe...

5. sb0677

sb0677 Member

Status Points:
    Data point:

I got 2 Citi Buz cards.
    Visa: 02/23/2013 50k
    MC: 06/28/2013 40k
    Both have to call for reconsideration. Got bonus for the first one. Waiting to get bonus for the second one.
    I think you can go ahead to get the second buz card.
    Good luck

jazzk likes this.
  6. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a similar question, maybe a bit off topic. When you're required to spend X amount of money to fulfill a bonus, does the money you spent on foreign transaction fees count towards the spending requirement?

7. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to wonder, why, with so many miles/points at stake, that people will try to hit the magic spend number so close. Card fees, and similar don't qualify, and never have. Better to go over by a K or so, you still get those extra miles/point too. Oh Well, another card, another day.

rockyrock, LETTERBOY and jazzk like this.
  8. jazzk

jazzk Active Member

Status Points:

I totally agree and I usually spend a few hundred extra. That is why I am so upset I let this happen somehow. I think it had something to do with the fact that I bought a $150 AA gift card and then paid my bill and then got the $150 credit that was part of my sign-up bonus so my card had a credit on it for a couple cycles. I also had a ton of cards that I was juggling between my husband and I. I knew I was a bit in over my head and that's why I am taking a little break right now to recover :) Oh well, live and learn...

cvsara likes this.
  9. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    While awardwallet and some of the other sites that track points and miles, to depend on them, to me, will cause nothing but trouble. If not soon, then later. I stopped using gomiles over two years ago, and now go to the airline site, CC site, Hotel sites and check the status there, then enter the info into a spread sheet on my computer(s), and back up to a flash drive. Extra work? Yes of course it is, but it is, but much more accurate and reliable.
    Good Luck with getting those few miles needed to qualify for that 50K bonus.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or try to hit a month early and check the miles going in to your account.

11. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah...I go the spreadsheet route as well. It's definitely more work, but it's the only way I can be sure my numbers are accurate.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using milepoint

12. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried sending a SM & pleading "poor bookkeeping"? CITI can be sympathetic at times.

13. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fees of any kind usually don't count as spending.

LETTERBOY likes this.