I did not earn AA miles on code share flights

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Gr8Travel, Apr 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Beware Recently I took two seperate and distinct flights from New York to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific. Although I provided by AA Frequeent FLyer Number, am a platinum member of American Airlines and have flown over 3 million miles with them, , I received no reward miles since I was not booked in the "selected class". As a result I lost approximatetly 30,000 miles. There was no mention of this when I made the booking and it took my personal investigation to find an inocuous notince on the Cathay website to identify the problem. American should be ashamed of themselves.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi Gr8Travel, and welcome to MP!

Sorry to hear you lost some miles, I know how frustrating that can probably be. :(

I think there might be some confusion on your end based on your post's title. AA awards miles on codeshare flight as if you were flying AA. I'm guessing you actually flew your flight without the AA codeshare, which is when the fare class issue comes into play. If you actually were on an AA codeshare (the flight is listed with AA before the flight number), you should pursue this further because you are entitled to miles.

The lack of mileage accrual on AA's partners is a well known issue within the program. While you found a notation on Cathay's website, you don't need to go that far at all. The information on which fare classes earn miles on Cathay Pacific (CX) is outlined directly on AA's website here. For all other partners, you can look here. As you can see AA has a huge section devoted to explaining how miles are awarded on partners, so I think it's a hard case to make that this is a secret. It would be nice if they provided a link to the the earning information when booking on their website, so that might be something you can suggest to them directly.

CX isn't the only airline that this happens on, so going forward in the future you should probably check your fare code against the list provided above. The easiest way to avoid any confusion on mileage earning is to simply book the AA codeshare on the partner flight. Often times this costs more, but the additional airfare gives you the miles you're looking for.

Again, welcome to MP and best of luck in the future with your mileage accrual! :)

JonNYC, lin821 and travelinmike33 like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had you been on an AA codeshare ticket (most/all CX flights to the US are offered as AA codeshare), you would have received miles, even if you paid the same fare. This is frustrating because it involves so many EQMs that it might have moved you up to a higher Elite status.

Keep an eye on this board and you'll get a better flavor of some of these oddball rules.

This used to be a problem with flights on Iberia, too, but the previously no-miles fare classes now accrue.

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
  5. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    ouch... i would freaking cry if that happened to me... 32k is a lot...

6. purduecal

purduecal New Member

Status Points:
    So, if I'm flying on a CX codeshare (i.e. AA 6000) from SFO - HKG on an L (non-eligible on CX) fare, I will receive AA miles as long as I give them my AA number, right?

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right. AA code share flights earn miles as if they were AA metal.

rwoman and estnet like this.
  8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a very nice feature of the AAdvantage program.

9. dmaphy

dmaphy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope I'm right here. Not sure if I got that correctly:

I'm planing on booking a BA flight operated by JAL and credit the miles to AAdvantage. Booking class is O (LHR to HND and back). Do I now earn 100% of base miles as I woud with British, or just 50% as I would with Jal?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

10. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would check that because it is an L class, they might deny you the miles,.gotta be H or higher.

11. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    The post you responded to was from 2012, so the plane has long since left the tarmac, so to speak :)

In any case, nothing has changed. If the flight is an AA code share (booked with the AA flight number), it earns as though it were operated by AA and the AA earning table applies.

MSYgirl likes this.