I Decided Not To Upgrade to United Global First

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

I have an exciting trip to the French Rivera coming up that I have been looking forward to for months. Today, I received an email from United luring me to redeem my miles for an upgrade from paid BusinessFirst to GlobalFirst.

Out off curiosity, I checked the “price” of the upgrade, and I saw I had the option to upgrade my P-fare ticket from EWR-TXL for 20,000 miles and zero co-pay.

[​IMG] In normal situations, an upgrade like this is usually offered for 20K miles and a $550 co-pay. When I told some of my friends about my upgrade offer, they all immediately chimed in saying, “DO IT!”. These friends are also 6’3″ and 6’5″, respectively. I am 5’2″ on a yoga day.

I knew in my gut that I couldn’t justify spending 20,000 miles on an overnight flight just to have a slightly more-private seat, larger bed, an added soup entree, and “premium” bubbly, but I still thought about the possibility.

While I’m usually quick to just say yay or nay to these types of offers, I did in fact ponder a bit. My “earn and burn” mentality was conflicting with my rational side like the devil was on one shoulder and an angel was in the other.

I thought to myself, “With so many devaluations left and right, am I being utterly ridiculous that I’m ‘attached’ to these 20,000 miles? Or am I simply living up to my savvy self?”

I turned to Twitter, and thankfully the majority of responses made me feel better for leaning towards NO.

Sure, sitting in a “better” cabin is tempting, but temping and UA metal shouldn’t ever appear in the same sentence to begin with. I think my 5’2″ self will survive and arrive in Berlin just fine in BusinessFirst.

At the end of the day, I’d rather save those miles for a free flight in economy than have a United soup entree up front.

Now, if I had only been able to use one of my GPUs for this upgrade, that’s a whole different story…

What would you have done? Truly a #firstworldproblem, I know.

The post I Decided Not To Upgrade to United Global First appeared first on Just Another Points Traveler.

The post I Decided Not To Upgrade to United Global First appeared first on BoardingArea.

Continue reading...