i could be wrong but.....

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Photonerd71, Feb 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    OK, i admit i might be wrong but.......if you are a company who filed bankruptcy protection and want to keep your current customers happy (as well as gain new ones) shouldn't you at least attempt to have decent customer service? I'm not saying they are rude, unhelpful or anything like that...........i just can't get them to answer the damn phone. Over an hour on hold (thanks to speaker phone) to try and make a change to my reservation. Never did get through before i hung up and tossed the phone across the room. This is crap.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    :)

I hope for your sake you never have to call the North America BA line.
    I take it you are not EXP but the fact is my wife just got of the phone with AA reservations (Plat) and she was on hold for all of 10 seconds.:)
    Tossing the phone across the room is a sure fire way to get back at them:)

3. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ya I have never had to wait more than a min. And even when I was gld it was still never more than a min. I called Alaskan air and they said your wait time is about 45 min and it was every bit of 45 min.

rwoman and TheBeerHunter like this.
  4. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Called four or five times a couple of weeks ago to make award reservations and never had to wait more than maybe five minutes max.

rwoman likes this.
  5. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to call Continental last week for a modification of my award because of a flight cancellation by a partner. I was on the phone for morre than an hour once before I hung up. I then called back the next day and waited 1 hour and 15 minutes before I got a representative.

2soonold likes this.
  6. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No kidding...i feel lucky just to get on hold...most of the time it just says too busy to take the call and hangs up automatically...ridiculous!

2soonold likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When this happens, it drives me nuts. The recording should announce the expected wait time but then let you wait on hold if you need to talk with an agent.

Skye1, 2soonold and globalexplorer like this.
  8. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the OP called during a period of rebookings and such due to bad weather/mechanicals?

rwoman, Skye1 and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Possibly, or he just had some bad luck. And as noted above, it doesn't seem like AA's financial issues are what cause it, since others seem to have the same issues with other airlines. More of an industry problem it seems.....

rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  10. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Finally got through. Only took 15 min the second time around. Good news i was able to change my flights to a day earlier (another day of vacation) . Bad news have to ride in coach from iah-mia. (Still have the big comfy seats from mia-sdq though) she did say i could call closer to Sunday and see if a seat up front opens. Said because it was a "voluntary downgrade" i should be able to move back up if space opens....we shall see. Either way, it's an award ticket and ill be spending 6 days in the Dominican Republic so no worries. :)

11. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah...its causing me to credit less to the BA program...such a frustrating experience trying to talk to BA exec club

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it rang for an hour with no answer? Sounds like a problem with the phone circuit.

Or did you mean it answered and you were on hold for an hour? If so, when? I've NEVER had hold times exceeding 10+ minutes with AA unless there are irregular operations/weather somewhere. The best thing is to get status and note a phone number in your account so the system recognizes you and queues you appropriately.

rwoman, gemac and LETTERBOY like this.
  13. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    The first time i called (the reason for my rant that started this thread) was about 3:30pm central time. After dealing with that stupid automated voice thing finally got a live person (kept telling the computer i wanted a live person. I hate the automated things). Then the lady told me because my trip is international i need to be transferred to somebody else, and after almost an hour of bad music and the constant "your business is important to us" reminders that is when i gave up.

Called back about 9pm or so and after the "your wait will be approximately 3 minutes" turned into about 15, finally got through. All this for an extra day of vacation, at least they didn't charge me anything, that would have sent me through the roof

14. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I need to talk to a live person, I say "agent" to the automated recording and it redirects me. I am EXP but I think may work for the regular lines as well...just the wait times may be a little longer.

15. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never had this problem either, but you and I are EXP. I imagine it is a totally different experience for a Tin member calling on a day with major weather problems. Your advice to get status is spot on - and the more status the better. The OP does not tell us his status, but I assume he is not EXP. His suggestion that AA man its telephone lines for the peak demand they might experience during the year is not a good way to mitigate the problem of losing money, IMHO.

16. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    An update. No status on AA (only citi black card if you want to call that status). Started calling the advantage number instead of main number and much better results.

Got down graded to coach when i changed the flights to an earlier departure date. (Only on the iah-mia leg). Called every night for the last 4 nights trying to get bumped back up to the front, no luck. Got to the airport this morning and got added to the list for possible upgrade. (I was the only one on the list) and low and behold about 5 min before boarding GA said lets swap that boarding pass for you. :))

Knew the flight would go well.....there were 3 nuns flying in 1st class also. They blessed the plane as we got on. LOL. (They all had iPhones and ipads which made me laugh for some reason. )

Now a rest in MIA and onto SDQ in the morning.

On a side note. The people at AA do seem a tad friendlier these days. Lots more smiles and thank yous then i remember when i used to fly them more often. Maybe it takes a ch11 to make them appreciate the customers, or i just caught them on a good day. Who knows....I'm on vacation. :))

rwoman likes this.
  17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This might be key - before I had AA status, I never had a problem getting a live person via the AAdvantage line...I think if the wait would have been crazy, I would have reconsidered a status challenge. ;) IME, AA's customer service has been pretty good, especially international.

Glad you flights worked out.

LETTERBOY likes this.