I can't get there from here!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Dovster, Aug 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured I would be able to pick up a few SkyMiles, take advantage of my new Elite Plus status to get into some lounges, and spend a few days in Prague on my way to the Frankfurt Do in December.

In June, I made my reservations on Czech Air, TLV-PRG on Dec 1; PRG-DUS on Dec 5; and FRA-PRG-TLV on Dec 12. It worked out well as I got a guaranteed upgrade on a room in a good Prague hotel at a fantastic price and an award stay in the Hilton in DUS for four nights.

Yesterday, I wrote to Czech Airlines in Tel Aviv asking if, as an Elite Plus, I can take advantage of the "Preferred Seating" to reserve my seats now.

I received the reply at the bottom of this page a few moments ago. If, by some chance, one or two of you can not read Hebrew, it translates as follows:

"Flights on the Tel Aviv-Prague route have been cancelled by our company after Oct 29 at this stage.

"Because you bought your ticket from Orbitz, they should have notified you of this.

"Please contact me next week to check whether the flights have been reinstated."

הטיסות בקו תל אביב-פראג של חברתנו
    מבוטלות לאחר ה29 באוקטובר בשלב זה

מכיוון שקנית את כרטיסי הטיסה באתר "אורביטס" היה עליהם לעדכן אותך.

אנא צור עימי קשר בשבוע הבא על מנת לבדוק האם חודשו הטיסות .

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were there any DL flights in your itinerary? There's nothing on DL metal and it's not obvious that these would be DL codeshares.

What does Orbitz say?

3. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, the only connection with Delta is my getting SkyMiles, MQMs, and getting Lounge Access.

Orbitz is very disappointing. It says that it is up to Czech Air to handle the problem. I can either get a refund or fly before Oct 29 (about 5 weeks earlier). It says that Orbitz has no responsibility to put me on a different airline.

I will wait a week to see if the flights are re-instated and, if not, will have to figure out if I can make it to PRG.

4. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a problem, Dovster- Czech lost its operating agreement on the line (מפעיל נקוב) because another airline had a better bid on the license. I was surprised as well. Czech is a decent service airline and Prauge is always nice.
    Your best bet is to call CS (of Czech, but maybe GM desk can do it for you) and insist on either:

(a) rebooking you on another airline (i.e. ELAL or the new airline)
    (b) connecting you on ST metal (AF through Paris, or KL through Amsterdam- go with the latter, if possible-they fly the wide bodies to TLV!, AF uses A320)
    (c) your money back...

Sorry, it does suck that they did not contact you... well, still Czech...

5. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Czech Air is flying TLV-PRG again.

Its new schedule, however, does not include Mondays -- when I was supposed to fly. Their Customer Service rep in Tel Aviv, who has been very helpful and friendly during this whole matter, asked me if I would be willing to push up my flight one day (or push it back one day).

I didn't want to change my FRA hotel reservation (I got an excellent price at the Frankfurt Hilton because of the "Best Rate Guarantee" and don't want to fool around with it) so I still want to fly out of FRA on Dec 12. However, I was willing to spend overnight in PRG and continue my flight on Dec 13.

My only problem with that was that my FRA-PRG flight arrives at 8:10 pm, which makes it too late to get into town to my hotel, check in, and still enjoy any of Prague that day. I agreed to switch if they would give me the earlier flight out of FRA, which arrives in PRG at 10:35 in the morning.

They arranged that, and I will spend two days in Prague on the way back (my PRG-TLV flight leaves at 23:55 at night).
    All in all, I figure this trip will be a heck of a bargain:

TLV-PRG on Dec 1
    PRG-DUS on Dec 5
    FRA-PRG on Dec 12
    PRG-TLV on Dec 13
    SkyTeam Elite Status gives me a second bag (up to more kilos) for free on all segments as well as priority seating. My Elite Plus status gives me lounge access in TLV, FRA, and PRG.
    Total airfare: $447.85 (including taxes)

Four nights at a very good hotel in PRG, with an upgraded room already being held for me, at 165.2 EUR (no, that is not the price per night -- it is the price for the entire stay).

Four nights at the Dusseldorf Hilton on an award stay.

Three nights in the Frankfurt Hilton at 218 Euros (entire stay, including tax).

Now all I have to do is get one night in Prague on the return trip but I should be able to go to that same hotel (or another in its chain) and get, again, a very low price.

DLroads, rwoman and mtkeller like this.
  6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad it worked out, Dovster! I've been wondering what's up with OK, as they keep making strange changes. (Still no presence in the UK, which leaves me rather dumbfounded. I had to fly via CDG to get to PRG instead of having a non-stop option from LON to PRG.) Sounds like a nice trip, too, although I do have to say that I preferred BUD to PRG (both nice cities though...Czech food is nothing compared to Hungarian food, however).

Dovster and rwoman like this.
  7. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been to BUD three times and, yes, the food is great there. On the other hand, I can get wonderful duck dinners in PRG for pennies -- and, having only visited the city once, want to see it again.

DLroads and rwoman like this.
  8. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it ultimately worked out!! VERY crazy! :)

Dovster likes this.
  9. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely want to re-visit, too. I mainly made the comparison because I have a friend who lived in PRG and a friend who lived in BUD and they kept arguing about which was superior. I decided to be the arbiter for them :D I guess I need to email them my findings.

Where's the duck dinner location, for future reference? I had to switch to non-Czech food to find edible stuff there.

DLroads likes this.
  10. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had great duck in two places -- one was across the street from the Galileo Hotel and the other was at this place: http://www.ukalicha.cz/shop/index.php

DLroads likes this.
  11. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a reservation at another hotel in the chain -- four star hotel, center of town, and it is costing me 37 Euros, including buffet breakfast.

DLroads likes this.
  12. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've lived in both (Prague now) and Prague is better.

And of you think arriving at 8:10pm and still not being able to enjoy the nightlife.....well that is an incorrect presumption sir 

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

13. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    You forget that I am a senior citizen, long past my prime, and far from being in the best of shape. For me to enjoy Prague's nightlife, I would have to arrive at a bar or nightclub no later than 6 pm, meet a young woman, introduce myself and charm her into returning to my hotel room me -- and still have the strength to make love to her three times before falling asleep at 10 pm.

mtkeller and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  14. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could see PRG being a better place to live between the two. I think if you made me pick one of PRG and BUD to live in, I'd probably pick PRG. However, on the tourist side, I liked BUD better.

15. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just man up already ;)

16. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    In short, she would be getting the senior's "early bird special".

DLroads likes this.
  17. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    glad it worked out goldster... you can always find something to do in Prauge

Dovster likes this.
  18. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    [ deleting tasteless comment about how she can leave at 10:10 and still be able to make a night's wages. ]

Gargoyle and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have a strong dislkie for Orbitz. In my experience they have absolutely no interest in supporting, or even assisting, their customers when anything gets tangled up.

DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you know you'll be using DL (and codeshares or SkyTeam partners), I don't know why one would book through Travelocity, Expedia, or worse. You're just adding someone else into the picture to cause problems, although of course it's better not to pay a fee for such service.

DeltaExpert and rwoman like this.
  21. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Czech Airlines' website does not provide for layovers. I could book a trip TLV-PRG-DUS and return FRA-PRG-TLV, but I could not stop in Prague on my way.

More than that, the cheapest fare I could find for those days (again, without being allowed a layover) on the Czech site was $537.16 (as opposed to the $447.85 I am paying through Orbitz).

I can, indeed, book my itinerary on the Delta website. It will not be non-stop as the only itinerary it offers me is on KLM. Each leg goes through AMS and the cheapest economy ticket it is offering for those days is $7,363.45. (Yup, that is right -- I did not put a decimal in the wrong place.)

As far as I can see, the Skyteam website will help you find flights but you can't book on them.

Which of the three -- Orbitz, Czech Air, or Delta -- would you have chosen?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As an elite, when I don't like what delta.dumb offers, I just call the DM line, for example yesterday to ask prices to book a trip with different inbound and outbound fare codes that I can't specify one by one on the website. (I was trying for cheap in one direction and A/P in the other for the "guaranteed" upgrade.)

DeltaExpert likes this.
  23. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The phone?

DeltaExpert likes this.
  24. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be interesting to see what kind of price the DM line would offer you for my itinerary. Would you mind calling and asking?

My schedule is:

CZECH AIRLINES CSA - OK 287 ECONOMY
    THU 01DEC TLV-PRG 0605 0915

CZECH AIRLINES CSA - OK 526 ECONOMY
    MON 05DEC PRG- DUS1715 1830

CZECH AIRLINES CSA - OK 535 ECONOMY
    MON 12DEC FRA-PRG 0925 1035

CZECH AIRLINES CSA - OK 286 ECONOMY
    TUE 13DEC PRG-TLV 2355 0435

DeltaExpert likes this.
  25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did you try the multi city option, listing each city where you want to transit?

DeltaExpert likes this.