I can't check in online. Upgrade?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SK2868, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to check in online for NRT - TPE tomorrow evening, and the message above pops up. My booking comes up on the site, but not able to check in. The seatmap on UA's site shows the eco cabin as almost full, but Flightstats shows alot of availability. Could this mean a possible upgrade? I'm SK*G.

I'm not planning on contacting Widerøe (where I bought the ticket), because it's a sunday, so they probably won't be able to reply on time anyway.

Thanks for any replies.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    First of all, I think you should try to check whether your ticket was properly issued and be sure to have paper copies of the documents when you go to the airport tomorrow. You should have received a receipt with a ticket number on it. This is different from an itinerary or reservation for your flights, which you normally should also have received. Every flight should match, between the ticket and the reservation, and every segment should appear as confirmed, sometimes indicated by "OK."

If everything is in order, it could mean that you will get your seat assignment at the gate. (From your post, I'm assuming that you don't already have a seat assignment or do you?) As *G you shouldn't have to worry about IDB but your upgrade priority is likely to be behind UA's own *Golds. To check loads on the flight, you might want to try a dummy booking on united.com, perhaps for 9 passengers, and see if UA is still willing to sell tickets and in what fare codes.

3. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I too have had trouble getting into the UA website this morning. On my United homepage, it says " login unavailable 1:45am to 7:45am CT" -- but it's 8:45 am CT right now, and I still can't log on........I'll try later -

4. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have already reserved a window seat. I was able to check in online for my flight TPE - NRT a couple of days ago. It's also still possible to buy at least 9 tickets in economy for that flight. Maybe online checkin is down at the moment...

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be, but I would personally worry as the message you received seems to suggest that there could be a problem with the ticket, perhaps that it was never issued. It would be wise to allow extra time to check in at the airport and have all documentation with you.

6. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was able to find my reservation on the check-in page using my e-ticket number instead of the booking code, but still with the same error about not finding my e-ticket number. The e-ticket number clearly shows up on checkmytrip and in the documents recieved by Widerøe.
    As Ueno Zoo (where I wanted to go tomorrow) is closed on Mondays, I'll probably end up going early to the airport.

Thanks for the replies. I will report back from the lounge (if I manage to get on the flight or not)...
    BTW, which lounges are reccomended for *G at Narita T1? ;)

7. JLSocks
    Original Member

JLSocks Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the same message a couple of weeks ago for a flight to Charlotte. Sometime after I purchased the ticket, the flight number changed, I noticed the change on the UA website and called in to talk to reservations to accept the change. The a week or so later, when trying to check in for the flight, I got that message and had to call in to reservations again. Reservation agent was able to fix it (whatever it was) and then I was able to check in.

8. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight still has the original flightnumber, so that does not seem to be a problem. I'll just head out to the airport and hope for the best... :)

9. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why don't you call UA today? When that's happened to me in the past it's always been a result of a misconnect or a flight has been canceled or changed on me.

10. Actonma
    Original Member

Actonma Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recommend you call web support, not reservations...I don't have the number handy but it is on the site.

11. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No problem checking in at the airport. No upgrade given though... :)