I Averaged 7.1 pts/$ on Freedom card last month

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by jaw_24, Dec 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Base points earned: 987
    10% Bonus Points (linked with checking): 99
    Bonus 10 Points per purchase: 720
    Bonus from 5% categories: 3009
    Extra 5% Rewards for Kohl's: 2180
    Total: 6995 points
    Spend: $986.67

Not too bad. This is after adjusting for the delayed posting that apparently causes the last 5 days worth of points to roll over.

I love this card. My strategy is that I only use the card if I get a 5% bonus or the purchase is under $10 (thus earning minimum 2 pts/$ due to the 10/10 bonus).

Yes I spent $436 on Kohl's, some of which were actual purchases when the UR mall was having the 10 extra pt bonus. But, most of the spending was from gift cards...you should check out the GC rack at your local store to see if there are any interesting finds (hint: with one extra stop, you can convert to Amazon.com credit with the 10 pt/$ bonus). I'm finding the gift card game is like mileage running.

mommypoints likes this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would you mind explaining the hint a little more (in code, if need be) for those of us who are a little thick?

PS - Buen hecho.

3. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats OP on good maximization! I'm trying to do the same w/ my Freedom/Checking/Sapphire cards.

Wondering this too. How does one convert GC's bought at Kohls to amazon gift cards (which are almost as good as cash, IMO)?

4. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In my local store, they sell GCs for a 'Geek'y store where you can get Kindle credit. The second trick is remember who actually owns Kindle--credit there is the same...I had to look a little bit at the referenced store to find the Fire. (This tip was from FW.)

HaveMilesWillTravel sent me this link that lists locations where such gift cards are sold, if it helps. This will be very useful in future quarters, although I think Amazon.com is listed as a 5% bonus partner next quarter.

Sorry for being so opaque, I've had too many cases where these deals get shut down when they hit the Great Search Engine, although this deal is only good 'till Dec 31, and I'm sure Mill'Miles will pick it up if hasn't already. The problem comes in finding a store that allows GCs to be purchased with GCs, and this can easily be stopped.

PM me if you need more info.

5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. I didn't do the Kohl's thing, but we used our Freedom only at the 5x categories, so just a bit over 5 pts/$ with the checking bonus. At $1000 over the quarter, got over 5000 UR points. The UR Shopping Mall purchases went on the Sapphire Preferred for the 7% bonus in a couple of week.

Don't forget that on December 15 (so, today for some of us), you can activate next quarter's categories (Gas + Amazon.com).

misterbwong likes this.
  6. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Does this mean they'll be in effect today or in the next quarter? I haven't done my christmas shopping so 5x on amazon would be awesome.

7. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Starts January 1st. Next quarter.

misterbwong likes this.
  8. misterbwong

Status Points:
    Bummer. Thanks for the clarification!

9. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote="jaw_24, post: .. Yes I spent $436 on Kohl's, some of which were actual purchases when the UR mall was having the 10 extra pt bonus. But, most of the spending was from gift cards...you should check out the GC rack at your local store to see if there are any interesting finds (hint: with one extra stop, you can convert to Amazon.com credit with the 10 pt/$ bonus). I'm finding the gift card game is like mileage running.[/quote]

Nice job! I refer to this as "gift card churning" (to draw the similarity to credit card churning). You can read about it here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/frequentmiler/2011/12/05/the-art-of-gift-card-churning/

YULtide and infamousdx like this.
  10. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FrequentMiler likes this.
  11. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Always try and spend msot of your $1500 limit on the bonus category, if applicable. I blew most of the $1500 this quarter on furnishing our new home with stuff from Kohl's. Not to mention, I made all the purchases through the Chase UR Mall for 10x so all in all, I should end up with about 30k UR points just from the Freedom quarterly promo! Love this program

12. FrequentMiler

FrequentMiler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear!
    I can't tell you how many times I've kicked myself for getting the Chase Marriott card in my last churn instead of the Freedom! I hate to do yet another reconsideration phone call, but I need this card!

YULtide likes this.
  13. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a similar approach, and also look for ways to stock up on gift cards for places that do not or will not have bonuses in upcoming quarters. Grocery and gas are easy places for this, and when the restaurants category comes up I stock up on gift cards that can't normally be bought in a retail store. This quarter is especially good because of the plethora of holiday specials on restaurant gift cards.

Another way to double dip is on the grocery category, if you have a store that offers additional incentives, gas rebates, etc. Every few months, they run a 4X bonus where you can earn about 5%+ additional incentives.

infamousdx and FrequentMiler like this.
  14. freecia

freecia Active Member

Status Points:
    But they will allow Amazon.com gift cards to earn 5% during Q1 according to the sign up details. Amazon will come back Q4 2012, too. Good to stock up then.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  15. freecia

freecia Active Member

Status Points:
    GiftCardMall is also on Amazon if you'd like to get Amazon gift cards via Freedom then use the gift cards to buy other gift cards you need/want like Marriott, 90 day gym membership to 24 Hour fitness, or Home Depot + 2.99 shipping fee.

Try out a small transaction first to make sure you can "churn" the gift cards.

16. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the Sapphire last year and just opened my Chase Checking AND got the new Freedom card! It was a hard sell to get approved.from Chase, as I received 5 other cards from them in the last year! Only a supervisor would approve the Freedom card and I had to give up my Hyatt and Southwest cards. Not a big deal since I already got bonuses....and they are transfer partners on Sapphire....

I use Amazon a few times a month, and I am wondering if I should buy Amazon.com gift cards FROM Amazon for the bonus before March is up or if I should buy them from a local grocery store when they offer 5% on grocery purchases? Isn't it really the same thing? Honestly I have never purchased a gift card from a grocery store so I am not sure if there are any fees or expiration dates. At least according to Amazon's website those cards have no expiration date..

17. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not according to the current bonus categories calendar.

Are these actions mutually exclusive? ;)
    The Amazon gift cards I've purchased in grocery stores don't expire and carry no fees.

18. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the link with the Freedom and Chase Checking since I use the card for very small purchases (like $1, $2, etc) and the 10pts/transaction and 10% extra really add up. Purchase a $2 item 5x in a week = 10 + 50 + 1 points = 61pts. If its in the dining category (like last quarter), then it's 50+50+1 = 101 pts for $10 of purchases.

Maybe this quarter, I'll buy gas a gallon at a time :D

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

19. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    For all practical purposes with Chase, they are the same. However, you may double dip if the grocery store has a reward program. But I'd do both this year since Amazon and grocery bonuses aren't in the same quarter, and I like to max out the $1500 bonus limit each quarter. I usually buy other GCs like Target, gas, Home Depot, etc when the grocery bonus comes around, and Amazon is my 'go to' GC if I feel tapped out at another store.

20. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    My regional grocery chain also runs gas stations (and Chase see them as gas stations). This January 2nd. I bought gift cards to our grocery store at the local gas station. Easy to buy and easy to use. That will max out the 5% categories for the first nine months for me. Oh, and the gas station also has a wall of gift cards to Macy's, Amazon, and all the standard stores.

tondoleo and jaw_24 like this.
  21. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone used their Freedom through Amazon Payments this month? Did you get the 5x on there?

22. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I'm looking at my Chase Sapphire Preferred 2011 Statement Summary and saw that "STARBUCKS CARD RELOAD, WA" shows up under "Gas & Convenience Stores" ... it's the iPhone app reload charge (before I realized that buying a gift card at Starbucks and reloading manually forced it into Dining). Will it earn 5x points on the Freedom this quarter? It's the whole "& Convenience Store" part that's making me second guess, since only Gas earns 5x this quarter. Then again, how would they differentiate the two?

I went ahead and loaded $25 from my Freedom and will see what it says on my statement. It will be a useful charge to make on March 31 when I see how much Gas and Amazon purchases I have for the quarter and how much until $1500 I have left ... I easily spend a few hundred $ at Starbucks per year, so getting 5x UR points instead of 2x would be great.

tondoleo and FrequentMiler like this.
  23. 96MustangGT
    Original Member

96MustangGT Active Member

Status Points:
    I have not tried the Freedom card yet, but I did use my Amazon card last year and it did not give the bonus points for Amazon purchases. I only received 1x the payment.

24. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    See first page of the annual summary:
    In particular, I noted Wal-Mart under the grocery category, which is definitely not true for rewards (it lists as discount or wholesale store).

infamousdx and daemon14 like this.