I am retiring from mileage running.

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jfhscott, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hereby announce my retirement from mileage running.
    My career was short – only three years, so no gold watch for me. But it does not make sense for me any more. The factors are many, not the least of which is that I am among the unfortunate many who must work to support themselves. Did not help that my work travel patterns shifted from regular IAD-SFO to DCA-BOS last year.
    Higher ticket prices, along with the close of the clever things one can do with Thank You points have equally interfered. And, somehow, telling people that I have 2MM RDM's just does not make the impression that I think it should.
    And mileage running with a dog at home is not particularly easy.
    Its just time for me to burn, not earn.
    Earlier in the year, I shifted my DCA-BOS accruals to A3, and this past weekend, for my swansong, I paid $1000 for a DCA-ORD-SJU-ORD-DCA on UA, getting triple EQM's on A3. As such, I anticipate (based on other posts) *A Gold, with lounge access through 12/2014. I may requalify for UA 2P, and e+ will make things nicer than regular e as I redeem.
    BTW, SJU was quite fun, if a bit rainy. 48 hours there were well spent.

Gargoyle, desamo, ryandc99 and 9 others like this.
  2. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well let me be the first to say it's going to be ok to have a normal life back on your schedule.

Will be interesting the first time a juicy MR is dangled under your nose whether you will be able to resist the siren song and sit it out.

3. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tru dat, it will be like the first oppportunity to drink after leaving the Betty Ford clinic . . .

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's good that you have an exit strategy. Burning with no status isn't easy and would not be fun.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Amen. :)

jbcarioca and hulagrrl210 like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Is this a real retirement or are you gonna pull a Favre and reappear once those RDM start looking sparse? ;)

Either way, enjoy those trips!

Efilon87, perryplatypus, snap and 3 others like this.
  7. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely. I'm definitely good thru 1/2012 with 1P, and matched CO Gold. After that, I may requalify based on business travel, but am not counting on it. Having lounge access (including domestic lounges), along with free baggage and other goodies thru A3 *A thru 2014 should mitigate other indignties.

Also, when possible, I'll just book F.

jbcarioca and MSPeconomist like this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes lots of sense, since A3 *Gold gives you domestic lounge access, which isn't covered by *Gold through UA/CO or US, both of which are harder to get and don't last as long as A3. Of course, international FC or biz would give lounges and goodies, but probably nothing in IROPs.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of my RDM's are non BIS RDM's - the US trackitback promotion helped. Indeed, I may pull the ultimate sacrilige and convert about 100,000 of some my Chase "Choices" to pay for my SJU trip - I still have time to decide.

I may also do a paid TXL-BUD on Malev and get OW Sapphire to support trips I make using my AA miles.

It truly has been fun doing these MR's. It has is truly neat to "justify" weekends in Munich, Dubai, Sydney (with an IAD-FRA-SFO-SYD-SFO-FRA-IAD routing), and Singapore but truly, my favorite places are nearby - Belize, Charleston, Montreal, Southern California, and at home in Northern Virginia. And it is likely time for me to get working on a wife and kiddies, none of whom would understand my habit.

aptraveler and jbcarioca like this.
  10. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, it will be "don't you know who I was?"

I was reminded of this a couple of weeks ago on a MKE-ORD-DCA when I visited friends in MKE and worked to my A3 *A Gold. I booked the cheapest flight I could, which involved a 3 hour or so layover in ORD. went to the gate of an earlier flight and they hit me up for $50 for standby - only then did I appreciate this consequence of no longer being 1K.

BTW, if anyone knows, I'd appreciate some guidance - does *A Gold's standby priority mean that the *A member must provide free standby to other members' *a Golds? *A's webstie was not helpful.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll also add for anyone who might be interested that SAN-ORD/IAD-SJU-ORD/IAD-SAN, if available in the A bucket, earns 22,800 or so A3 miles (well enough for A3's *A Gold) for about $1000, plus, A3 gives you 1000 miles for enrolling, and more miles can be had if one interposes an SFO segment. I predict that A3 will realign its *A Gold status requirements at some point.

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alas, no discussion on cost. Just that you will be a higher priority than (some) other passengers if on a waitlist.

Kevinwou91 and jbcarioca like this.
  13. DLroads
    Original Member

DLroads Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, life changes, and it's good you have the status to burn miles with (gr8er availability, etc.). Hope you'd catch up. And I think it's about time airlines would become more pet-friendly. I have friends that would even buy a row in Y, if they could fly the dog in-cabin. Would not that be revneue profit for the industry? (put them in the last rows, if you wish... just let them fly with the dog on board!)

Well, another day, another vent.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have often wanted to take a break...like you, but then I'm home for 4 or 5 days in a row and a fare comes out that I can't resist and it starts back over again. I have resolved myself to the fact that I will always be an addict.
    I respect your decision and hope your life is fullfilled in other ways!

jbcarioca and travelingmore like this.
  15. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP I know the feeling, I just dont rebound like I did a few yrs ago

But just cant see not playing in the sand box. May alone will yield 30k EQMs all for $200.80 out of pocket.My JFK-LAX-SEA-LAX-JFK and JFK-IAD-SFO-NRT-LAX-IAD-JFK was paid for with my Flex pts both trips 50k and some help from the Mint before Flex stopped giving pts for those purchases Paid the $200 for a PHL-IAD-LAS-SFO-PHL run next week, 1 night in Vegas

So 1K is pretty much in the bag again for '12 , just dont want to cross the 1K mark till Dec

16. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am happy to say that we retired from status seeking last December when I hit my UA million miles and got my lifetime status.

Now we are learnin the tricks of the burning trade as opposed to the earning trade. Honestly, after 13 years as 1ks, it is a great relief to just relax and travel when we feel like it with no pressure.

17. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could you please elaborate on the comment?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many airlines give better award inventory to their elites as well as better phone service and fewer redemption, ticketing and reissue/change fees on award tickets. For example, on DL, there are no fees if I call them to reserve and ticket an award ticket, do it close to my travel dates, or change my mind many times and keep improving the award ticket I have.

I also get lounge access, elite check in and security lines, priority boarding, free domestic upgrades, free bags, and priority baggage handling when I travel. It would be less fun to travel without these privileges.

19. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot.

I don't have status with any airlines but got hooked with collecting miles recently. I guess I need to start collecting status as well. :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It makes a big difference. This is why most FFs are advised to try to concentrate their miles and points in one primary program for them.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  21. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is true. As long as you are ona paid ticket and have status, most programs kiss your fanny. No/lesser status on an award booking, and you are made to feel like an interloper.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Careful, it is easy to get sucked in!!!!

perryplatypus and jbcarioca like this.
  23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been treated well as a top-tier elite on award tickets too.

jbcarioca and travelingmore like this.
  24. Tex1899

Tex1899 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In '10 I was Plat, got engaged and got married. For '11 I'm Silver. For '12 I'm looking at no status...I might hit 10,000 EQM's this year.

Your priorities will probably change once you get married and have kids. At times you may miss the miles, but when you're with your family you probably won't.

Have fun!

25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations!

I have one colleague who likes to say:

"When I was struggling to get my business going, I was HON Circle. When it was running well, I was flying Private Jet. Now that I've cashed out- people can damn well come to me if they want something (He doesn't travel at all anymore- grows grapes and spends time with his kids)!"

jbcarioca and MSPeconomist like this.