I am being charged for a hotel night when I was involuntarily evacuated

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by avflyer, Mar 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really.

The night of the tsunami, I could not stay in my room, yet, the hotel is charging me for the night. I have requested a refund, but the hotel says they are still "considering" what action to take in this regard.

Am I missing something here?

2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where were you? What Brand/level hotel? and btw, did moving save your life?

DYKWIA likes this.
  3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at the Sheraton on Big Island. I'm an SPG plat, and we would have been OK had we stayed. IMHO, none of this makes any difference. We were evacuated, we could not use the room, and we weren't even allowed back the next morning to shower etc.. It is not my fault the facility was unavailable. I understand that it wasn't Sheraton's either, but it seems to me that this is the cost of doing business.

4. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like service was no delivered as ordered regardless of the tsunami or not. You paid for a room you didn't use. I'd dispute the charge.

doc, avflyer and 2soonold like this.
  5. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It wasn't that I DIDN'T use the room, it is that I was forcibly prohibited from using the room.

C/B / Dispute is exactly what I am going to do

2soonold likes this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Forcefully removed for your own safety, how inconsiderate of the hotel to take and action like that, If you had not been removed and something had happend, now you would be complaining that the hotel was lax in the operaton of keeping its guests safe. Instead of asking for your money back you should be giving the hotel high marks for keeping you safe.

DYKWIA likes this.
  7. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You really need to read postings better before you apply snark. I didn't say "forcefully removed" from my room. I said "forcibly prohibited from using my room". Further I did not even say it was the hotel management preventing me from using my room, it was, in fact, the local Civil Defense authorities.

I have no complaint with the safety procedures of the hotel. They, in fact, were justified and correct. What I do have a complaint with is that I am compelled to pay for a room night when the facility was out of service. Again, I feel that this is the cost of doing business. Sheraton should do the right thing and refund the money.

mht_flyer, Wurm, doc and 2 others like this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And should carry insurance to cover them when something like this happens.

ahow628, Wurm, hulagrrl210 and 2 others like this.
  9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given the explanation, I can understand disputing the charge. The hotel still likely come though. Good luck with the claim

PAinNY and avflyer like this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that you should dispute the charge, especially given your SPG status. It would be the least they could do to show they appreciate your continued business. Plus its just the right thing to do.

avflyer likes this.
  11. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    This seems to me comparable to hotel reimbursement when a flight is cancelled. If it is the fault of the airline (like a mechanical problem), the airline has to pay for a hotel room for you. If it is not the fault of the airline (for example, weather), they don't pay for a room for you.

In this case, the hotel provided a room for you. It is not the hotel's fault that the Civil Defense authorities prevented you from staying in it. You are, of course, free to ask for your money back, and you might get it. If you do, I would regard it as a favor to keep your business and not as something you were entitled to.

It was Governor Neil Abercrombie who prevented you using your room. Send him a bill.

avflyer likes this.
  12. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very well & simply put..
    I could not agree more..
    Frankly, I'm surprised a class SPG property would be doing this?
    A mistake perhaps?

avflyer likes this.
  13. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The analogy, although close is not quite on point. In the case of the cancelled flight, the airline will put you out on the next available flight or refund your money. In this case, there is no value received for payment. The night is gone, never to come back again. I think if they offered me a free night or points or some equivalent, I would go for it, but they have not.

PAinNY and doc like this.
  14. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did the hotel allow you to store your bags in the room? That is value received.:)
    The hotel provided you with a room. They were not the ones who prevented you from using it. If you have a beef, it seems to me your beef is with the Governor, as stated above. He is the one who prevented you from using the room. The hotel did everything that they contracted with you to do. The room was there, empty, and they gave you a key to it. They didn't keep you out of it.

If you were out driving, somebody hit you, and you went to the hospital and had to stay overnight, would you expect the hotel to refund your night's charges because you were prevented from using the room by a third party?

15. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have no quibble with the governor, as you seem to. The evacuation was called as was necessary. I'm sure Linda Lingle would have done the same thing. Counter to your point, the hotel did not "provide me with a room". The facility was unavailable for occupancy, therefore collecting money from the guests is, at best, disingenuous.

If you paid for a night of hotel and all you could do was store your luggage, would you consider that satisfactory? Besides, who on earth stores his luggage in a hotel that will potentially be destroyed by a natural disaster?

16. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel did not make the facility unavailable for occupancy. The governor did. That is why I think your ire, if any, should be directed at him.

You didn't address my last question. I'll pose another situation. You are mistakenly arrested and forced to spend the night in jail by the government. Should the hotel refund your paid room? In both cases, the hotel had a room dedicated to your use, and gave you a key to use it, but the government prevented you from using it.

In fact, in your situation, had you been in your room and stayed in it, I suspect you would have been in it all night. I have experienced tsunami evacuations in Hawaii, and the Civil Defense never entered rooms to see if someone was in there. During the February, 2010 tsunami, we had a party in my room on Maui. There was, of course, no problem.

17. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dispute the charge with you're credit card bank for non-services rendered!

kenbo and avflyer like this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you already checked into the hotel? Did you stay the night before?

I had a somewhat similar situation: the night of he quake I was supposed to be at the GH Bangkok, but I never made I to BKK because my flight to NRT was diverted and the flight from NRT to BKK canceled. The room was prepaid, so I was a no-show from the perspective of the hotel.

19. Lighthouse
    Original Member

Lighthouse Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the Princeville St Regis guests on the lower floors were also evacuated. The GM sent us and all the other guests in the hotel a short note and a small can of chocolate covered macadamia nuts. While I understand both sides of this argument I would have expected for those left in the lobby from 12 midnight to 4 AM a bit more generous a gesture.

avflyer likes this.
  20. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see many suggesting that you dispute the charge. I agree, do so both with your credit card company and Starwood as well as with the hotel. Also leave a note here in the hotel programs Starwood forum or start a conversation with William (spg champion) or email him at

William R. Sanders
    Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com

chrislacey, avflyer and IMGone like this.
  21. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you ask the hotel to reconsider? I know others canceled their ressies after the cancel time and fees were waived due to being diverted

avflyer likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am actually at the hotel right now for a six night stay (the one night I missed was independent of it; in-between we went to a beach resort). I am planning to bring it up during my stay here. I had sent email to Hyatt customer service to ask if their cancellation waiver applies to this situation, but they just referred me to the property.

I don't think a credit card chargeback in my case would be the appropriate response from me. The hotel isn't responsible for the quake, and it's my responsibility to get to the hotel.

IMGone and avflyer like this.
  23. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    and people complain about FT. wow.

first, no shows have nothing to do with OP.

four seasons hualalai >
    http://www.annarbor.com/business-re...-hawaii-is-evacuated-as-tsunami-wreaks-havoc/
    http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2011_1st/Mar11_FourSeasonsHualalai.html
    four seasons bora bora >
    http://twitter.com/FSBoraBora/status/47351347841994752
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jimmy-kimmel/jimmy-kimmel-tsunami_b_835389.html

24. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have contacted the SPG Plat concierge twice now to no avail. The second time the accountant was out sick

25. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had similar experiences as well. Usually when weather / natural disaster prevents me from making a prepaid or guaranteed reservation, I call the SPG Plat concierge and they have things waived.