I’m Airline & Hotel Status Complacent — Are You?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    I often get questions from readers about which airline or hotel status they should go for next. Something along the lines of: "It's only halfway through the year, and I've already (re)qualified for [airline/hotel loyalty program] [precious metal]. Which status should I go for next?" I can relate to the struggle in general. If you're a goal oriented person, it's only natural to want to move onto the next goal once you've completely "qualified" for one. And the feeling isn't unreasonable, given that almost across the board loyalty programs don't do enough to incentivize marginal loyalty above the top tier, in my opinion. For example, Hyatt gives you four confirmed Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards when you achieve Diamond status, each of which can be used to confirm a suite upgrade for up to seven nights. Potentially you can confirm upgrades for up to 28 of the 50 nights needed for Diamond. But you don't receive any extra Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards if you spend 100 or 150 nights in hotels. So your percent of nights spent in a suite decreases the more you stay. The post I’m Airline & Hotel Status Complacent — Are You? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...