Hyatt's Tokyo 'secret' to a good/cheap stay

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by dhammer53, Aug 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're going to Tokyo. I planned on using my 2 free nights from the cc bonus to stay at a Hyatt. Since I don't have status with Hyatt, it doesn't really matter where we stay.

You can read all about great stays at the PH with status, but without, the reviews are like any other hotel (I'm generalizing).

There's no point in wasting the 2 free nights at a great hotel if you don't have status. Yes, I'm aware of the Challenge. ;)

Instead, unless you can convince me otherwise, I'll stay at the HR (Regency) at 12,000 points per night, and save my free 2 nights for another city, where the room cost is $$$$.

GH 25,000 points
    PH 30,000
    HR 12,000
    Andaz 25,000

What's your opinion?

dh

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. konoyaro

konoyaro Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you have the Hyatt CC, by status I think I can rephrase your comment as "Since I don't have Diamond status..." is that correct? As Platinum I believe you're supposed to be eligible for a "preferred room" IRRC.

3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a Gold member.

I didn't mean to imply that I had the card, but will get the card when the time is right. ;)

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might also depend on where in the city you want to stay. Both the Park Hyatt and the Hyatt Regency are in an office district west of Shinjuku station. The area is a bit sterile. The HR is a perfectly decent hotel, but you probably won't have much of a view and the rooms (and windows) are on the small side. The recently renovated rooms are quite nice, but you probably would not get one.

The GH is located in the Roppongi area, and there is a lot more going on and a lot more to see and do in the neighborhood. It is in an area that caters to foreigners so it may not be a particularly authentic Japanese experience either. The rooms at the GH are much nicer, larger, and newer than the HR, and on higher floors you will have a nice view.

The Andaz is new and I haven't been there yet.

You'll have a more special trip if you stay at the GH or PH than at the HR. If your credit card nights can be redeemed at PH, why not try that? If you, and you are entitled to use the health club, make sure you check it out as it is pretty special. And at least have a drink at the NY bar at dusk. I think hotel guests don't have to pay a cover.

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you will be pleased with the HR, if only for the room. If you had diamond status, access to the lounge is nice, as they serve very nice snacks, etc., there.

WilliamQ likes this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have the free nights from the card, you'd also end up with platinum status.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it doesn't really matter where you stay, why stick with a boring Western chain, complete with the same boring Western breakfast spread every points and miles blogger takes boring pictures of, of the exact same food that you could get back home?

Why not stay in a really nice ryokan and get a truly Japanese experience?

Or heck, try a local chain or local boutique hotel?

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see the issues a bit differently. Without status, I would almost prefer to stay in hotels without lounges since lounge acess is an important high tier benefit. When the hotel has a lounge that you can't use, in a sense your booking is helping a little bit to subsidize the lounge for elites. However, this argument is a bit less strong with Hyatt since they give the free breakfast benefit to Diamonds in all hotels without open lounges.

WilliamQ and eponymous_coward like this.
  9. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to Japan in Sept and I am redeeming my 2 free nights for the PH. I'm also staying a few nights at the HR on points + cash. And I'll also visit the HR Kyoto on points + cash... I'll let you know how ny experiences are when I get back ;).

PS I just started my diamond trial. Just do it!

10. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

We have stayed at the Park Hyatt in Tokyo twice in the last two years.

I can't begin to describe how happy we have been at that hotel.

The service is fantastic, the location while not exciting is very close to the train station.

The food was excellent, especially the Japanese breakfast. I doubt that my wife would stay anywhere else in Tokyo after our experiences there.

While status gets you a better room, the service is the same no matter what status you have.

The Hyatt Regency around the corner does not compare even remotely.

Unless you are planning on using the nights in the Maldives, I don't think you can do better than the Tokyo Park Hyatt.

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your wife more likely would not be disappointed with Andaz Tokyo either. I like rooms and decor better at Andaz, however Japanese breakfast at PH and PH pool is something worth experiencing. I used points for my Andaz stay and it was very much worth it. The location of Andaz saved us at least 60 min of travel time daily.

dhammer53 and marcwint55 like this.
  12. Boraxo

Boraxo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100%. One of the best hotels I've ever visited in terms of service and the location was perfect (our free tour guides met us here) and a short walk from many restaurants including a fantastic sushi place in the basement of the office building.

If for some reason you want to conserve points I would use your 2 free nights here and then move to the Hyatt Regency - you can then why we all recommended PH. I would not pay 2x points just to stay in Roppongi (v. Regency) unless you plan to be out partying late every night and don't want to pay for taxis (and let's face it if you don't want to pay $25 for a taxi back to PH then you probably don't have the money to spend partying in Tokyo!). Heck if you are going to blow 25k just go all the way and use 30k at PH.

dhammer53 and marcwint55 like this.
  13. Tokyo Hyatt Fan

Tokyo Hyatt Fan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Despite my review, I think you should use the two nights at the Andaz Tokyo. It's brand new and a fairly unique experience, the pool is amazing, and there's not THAT much advantage to being a Diamond. Everyone gets the free minibar, and free drinks and snacks in the lobby. Even if you don't eat at the Tavern for breakfast, you can still enjoy a nice croissant and cappucino in the lounge.

Certainly an experience you'll remember.

dhammer53 and IDGflygirl like this.
  14. sheikkila02

sheikkila02 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're doing the Andaz in Oct with my in laws, the "better" location was a plus for sure.

It's not stopping me from checking availability for the PH whenever I'm really bored, but I'll get past that.

15. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, there is no really nice ryokan in Tokyo or even within reasonable commute distance of Tokyo. There are some boutique hotels but they all aim to be western-style. Good hotels in Tokyo, chain or not, do not have the exact same food as you will get back home. The Hyatt Regency, the cheapest Hyatt in Tokyo, has a Michel Troisgros French restaurant with two Michelin stars. You have something like that in your local Marriott?

If you have some secret knowledge to share, please pass it on.

As to the question posed by the OP, if you want a great hotel, pony up for the PH, GT, or Andaz. If you want a good hotel at minimal cost, go for the HR at 12, 000 points.

16. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    agree, if cost is a concern, HR works out fine, as a Platinum member, you get upgraded to a higher floor, i think i stayed at the 20+ floor, which was great

17. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt my knowledge or my taste of what is nice is up to snuff for the Luxury Hotel forum moderator on FT, so I'll pass on passing things on.