Hyatt's in the USA

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Thomask, Feb 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have only stayed once at a Hyatt Property in the US, namely the HR Jersey City along the Hudson river. I redeemed a suite night award and the room + view was superb!!! The breakfast, the service etc. was nothing special, especially compared to properties in Asia (and Europe) where I normally stay.

Is that a general experience in the US compared to the European/Asian markets? I need to make a Hotel reservations in Chicago and I am wondering if there are properties there that are worth the premium rates?

Here are some factors:

I am Hyatt GP D, but have similar status with most of the other International chains as well.

I will have a rent a car that I need to return to ORD on a Sunday morning, before I fly out around 10am. Is the parking downtown super expensive? (then I would return the car the night before and stay at a Hyatt or other Hotel near the airport that has complimentary airport shuttle)

I have never driven in Chicago...

I will be traveling with my family.

I do not have a lot of money nor do I like to spend much on Hotels. But I do have a fair amount of points and could do points/cash...

Any advise? Suggestions....

2. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO U.S. hotels are generally lower quality and lower service than their international counterparts, especially for U.S. chains.

Downtown Chicago parking is expensive.

Downtown hotels are nicer than airport properties.

Consider returning the car to a city location and taking a taxi, Uber or CTA blue line train to the airport

Thomask likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    @Seacarl mostly covered it. Hyatts in the US, for the most part, I find to be generally nice relative to the competition. There are some properties that are not as strong (llikewise for all of the main brands here).

Downtown hotels are nicer than airport hotels, and generally more expensive, depending on the day. Parking a car overnight downtown just to drive to the airport in the morning is too expensive. Just return the car downtown and use other transportation If you stay downtown.

Thomask likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    ...it is also in the US where Hyatt's small "footprint" is painfully noticeable because it seems like there is a Hilton or a Marriott in virtually every small town or back road...

Thomask likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As someone who travels to a lot of smaller markets in the us...a lot of the time the difference is between 1-2 hyatt properties vs a handful of barely differentiated hilton/mmarrarriott properties. Other times the market is small enough that none of these chains are present, but maybe ihg is. The numbers are somewhat misleading in terms of market coverage.

6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    But it is it not more expensive to return a car to a different location then where you pick it up? (pick up at ORD and return down town)

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not necessarily. Typically I see the same rate returning a car anywhere in the same metropolitan area, at least with our contract with national. I just checked this with chicago And it was the case.

Thomask likes this.
  8. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, will try that.

9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have since stayed at a Hyatt Place and a Park Hyatt in Chicago. I especially liked the location of the PH and its service. The breakfast was top notch and the service could not have been better. Parking super expensive. Another difference was the English spoken. Much better in the USA. ;-)