Hyatt - you continue to blow me away!

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Steven Schwartz, Jan 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been Starwood Platinum for almost 10 years. No, I'm not that frequent a traveler. At first I attained it as a benefit of American Express Centurion. Having experienced it and loved it, I did whatever I had to do to keep it up after AMEX ceased offering that as a benefit for their Black card. Each year it was a calculation of what I needed to spend and what I felt I could get out of it.

Then a few years ago, Hyatt offered a double-stay promotion combined with a promotion to get one free night with every two. Well, that's all it took. I booked enough stays at the three Hyatts in my area to reach Diamond while also getting free nights at the PH Paris Vendome and Washington DC. I was able to do this for two years and after that, it just didn't make sense. Like many non-business travelers on MP, many of my stays are free, making it hard to retain high level status. In the end, I had to let Hyatt Diamond go. But I still had one Diamond Suite Upgrade left so I used it to book a suite at the Grand Hyatt Bangkok from where I am writing.

Last June, we used Hyatt points to book a suite for three nights at the Park Hyatt Moscow. Now that is supposed to get you a Grand Suite King but to our shock, we were upgraded to the Wintergreen Suite with a solarium overlooking the Bolshoi Ballet! Remember, at this time I was no longer Diamond but only a Platinum courtesy of the Hyatt Visa

So we arrived in Bangkok yesterday. The Diamond upgrade we had used gets us a Grand Suite King which, at 80 sq meters is plenty large and certainly beautiful. At check in, we were informed that there were no Grand Suite available for check-in so they had upgraded us to an Executive Suite! OMG - we were taken up, the double doors were opened and our mouths dropped open.

In all my years, I have been treated better as a Hyatt Platinum than as a top-level Starwood Elite. For anyone who has never been here, this hotel and this city is incredibly special - hard to imagine any hotel could stetal my heart from the PH Paris Vendome but this place is amazing. The fact that they have a club and the fact that every time we walk in, we are addressed by name and warmly welcomed back - well, there really are no words. The hotel employees level of expectation is perfection. There was a small leak from the air conditioner that we noticed as we checked in and mentioned to the front desk. It was, of course, fixed immediately. But today, when we returned from touring, there was a box of pralines and a long letter of abject apology for what we experienced (?) yesterday with the leak and the hope it did not ruin our vacation! A tad over the top but a small indication of how well you are treated here.

I do miss my Hyatt Diamond status and I dont know that I will ever get it again. But I have no doubt whatsoever that they are the best and classiest chain out there, the one who always underpromises and overdelivers. I don't imagine they will ever make a lot of money on me - I still have a slew of Hyatt points and a lot of Chase Ultimate Reward points I can transfer there. But I hope they are happy knowing that they are so highly respected and valued by someone who does a fair amount of leisure travel and has enough experience to appreciate true excellence. it is comforting to know that wherever we choose to go, if there is a Hyatt, we will be exceedingly well cared for. Thank you.

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just spent December 15, 2012- Jan 12, 2013 criss-crossing North and Southeast Asia and stayed at Grand Hyatt Taipei, Park Hyatt Saigon and Grand Hyatt Jakarta as a Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum. It is the first time that I have ever stayed at Hyatt properties, having been a Hilton Honors Diamond for the last few years with no reason to stay elsewhere. The only reason I stayed at Hyatt properties this time is that there are no Hilton properties in those cities and I had just joined Hyatt Gold Passport courtesy of Chase Visa United MileagePlus Business Club card at the Platinum level. My experience is that even at the Plat level, I was very impressed by Hyatt overall, but I did also stay at some of the finest Hilton properties in Asia during this trip (Conrad Hong Kong, Hilton Sanya Resort and Spa, Hilton Shanghai, Hilton Singapore, and Conrad Bangkok (Jan 9-12)), all on HH points and my treatment as a HH Diamond at these properties in Asia was, I believe, equivalent to what you experienced at Hyatt as their top elite. I was upgraded to a suite from a standard room at every Hilton establishment and the service and personal attention that I got was, in my view, second to none! There are folks on MP who claim that there is no difference between being a HH Gold and HH Diamond. They are wrong. In order to really get the best out of a frequent guest loyalty program, I believe that one has to reach the very top elite level. In Asia, such a status is worth its weight in, well, Diamond!

Having experienced what I just did, I, for one, do fully understand your appreciation for the way you were treated at Hyatt Bangkok, for I can describe my treatment at Conrad Bangkok just as you did yours at the Hyatt. I am definitely looking forward to returning there for a longer stay!

Cheers!

3. The Deal Mommy

The Deal Mommy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could not agree more about Hyatt's customer service. Their team on twitter is especially amazing! I just posted how they saved me from being stranded in London on my blog.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My first stay as a Hyatt Diamond I was upgraded to the Presidential Suite at the HR Vancouver. They're pretty good about continuing to amaze.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two years as a Hyatt Diamond. Not a single suite upgrade that I didn't pay for with a cert. I guess it depends on when and where you stay.

(I am not particularly bitter about it as I don't really value suites very much; I don't travel to hang out in hotel rooms, and especially when I am alone I don't need a lot of space to scatter around my belongings. So the point is merely to make sure there isn't the expectation created that Diamonds get upgraded to suites every time they set foot into a Hyatt)

TravelMusing, sc801, Kalboz and 4 others like this.
  6. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thank you for this reminder - I'm a long term Hyatt Diamond - 9 years now - and I can count on one hand the complimentary suite upgrades (other than at the former PH SF and PH LA) that I've received in all that time.

7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true. Most of the time it's a basic suite, and very rarely when I use a cert do I get anything better than the basic suite I'm entitled to.

8. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm at the PH Vendome, though my request for early check in was not honored (almost full day prior), I was upgraded to an executive suite. Very nice. At 1320 € per night it is surely steep. I'm using my Chase Hyatt 2 free nights and then points to complete my 3 night stay in Paris. Finished dinner at Pur and am already looking forward to breakfast. Stay tuned to my trip report.

9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I blame the Grand Hyatt Erawan for getting me involved in this crazy hobby of collecting miles/points & mattress runs! :D

Further, when we (with wife and two kids, one was only 10-months) last stayed there in Dec. 2011/Jan. 2012, we paid for one night and booked two others on points (30K GHP total) and used a Diamond Suite upgrade cert. They not only let us keep the suite for all three nights, the suite was overlooking Ratchprasong intersection for a front view of the NYE fireworks. Also, their baby toiletries kit was so awesome that it included a baby-bottle steamer which we never have seen offered at any other property before or since. When we moved to the St. Regis Bangkok (a "luxury" property next door), we mentioned this to the chief butler who said that they did not have this amenity but promised they will help us on sanitizing the baby's bottles ... they never followed up on their promise. :eek:
    [​IMG]

10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think the mention of expectations was exactly my point. Starwood tells you suite upgrades are available and sometimes you check the property online before check-in, see suites for sale and have to argue when you check in and they smile and tell you that you have been upgraded to a room with a better view! Then the negotiation begins. Hyatt has an easier time since they promise nothing! And in both my cited cases, I had a suite reserved - once on points and once with a Diamond suite upgrade. My thrill is that they went far above what I had coming and made the deal even "sweeter" (pun intended).

That said, I have also been the beneficiary of some absolutely wonderful suite upgrades at Starwood. They were the first for me and still the easiest for me to retain. But it's a big world out there and I do believe that Hyatt really does it right.

11. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    I couldn't agree more. I just wrapped up my 8th stay at this hotel earlier this week and it is still my number one Hyatt by some distance. Granted I've never set foot in a Park Hyatt, but I doubt any hotel could match the treatment that I get from the Club staff at the GH Erawan Bangkok.

12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey cennas, you like this GHE property so much that you profile photo is from their pool area on the 5th floor :)
    [​IMG]

TravelMusing, cennas, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  13. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I saw this thread on Trending Topics it struck my curiosity because all I saw was: Hyatt, you continue to blow me....

Oi, it's been a long day.

TravelMusing, Tenmoc, AUSsie and 7 others like this.
  14. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Damn, you beat me to it! I was about to post the same! :)

Dirty minds do indeed think alike.

TravelMusing, Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  15. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am seriously thinking of switching from SPG to Hyatt........what to do, what to do!!!???:confused:

16. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:

Sadly, that's only for Titanium Elites! No amount of mileage runs.......

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For me one of the biggest problems with Hyatt (perhaps the primary one) is their footprint. Just not enough properties to be loyal.

18. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup - that has been holding me back as well. But the service and upgrades at Hyatt have been much better than at SPG (without having to ask)...

TravelMusing, flyingdawg and Kalboz like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't have enough experience with SPG to compare. That said, if there is no Hyatt in a particular location, the better service doesn't do much for me :) I've come to the conclusion that top status with any chain isn't compatible with my travel patterns without signficant compromises. Guess what, last weekend I slummed in a Super 8 Motel and a Best Western :D

TravelMusing, cennas and Kalboz like this.
  20. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. If I can come to terms with the slightly higher rates, I'll probally make the switch from SPG to Hyatt.

Hyatts have decent enough coverage where I travel to give it a shot (again). But I do understand where you're coming from. Since I ventured away from Hyatt over the past couple of years their coverage toeprint has actually increased a little. So that will make things somewhat eaiser. And I fondly remember their excellent service.

21. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt portfolio in Asiapac is generally pretty good. Four star minus, generally. PHs are generally some of the better hotels you can use points at, but usually far from the best hotel in town.

Generally though it is weak chain in the US.

Beware of the haunted Taipei property...
    http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/grand-hyatt-taipei.html

TravelMusing and Kalboz like this.
  22. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the problems with SPG is that they have such great and unusual properties (like the Haciendas in Mexico) that no other chain can touch. They have far more interesting and unique places if you look outside the hotel boxes. One of the reasons I continue to (slowly) build SPG points.

23. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive only been a diamond for 3 yrs, but never once have I had a comp suite upgrade. They do usually give me a bigger room than I booked and happy with that. So if/when it happened, will be a nice surprise.

24. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    But that could be the epitome of a mattress run. :D

ClarkyBoy, TravelMusing and Kalboz like this.
  25. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is that really a problem?! ;) But I hear ya

TravelMusing, desamo and Kalboz like this.