Hyatt workers launch week-long strike

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by uggboy, Sep 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt workers launch week-long strike:oops:

A week-long strike was launched at Hyatt hotels in Chicago and in three other cities Thursday morning, part of an escalation of labor unrest at the Chicago-based hotel chain.

Unionized workers at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, the Hyatt McCormick and at Hyatt hotels in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Honolulu launched the protest citing working conditions and outsourcing.

“Hyatt is one of the most abusive hotels in their treatment of housekeepers and has the worst record on subcontracting,” Unite Here Local 1 President Henry Tamari said in a statement.

The union says the hotel chain has replaced career housekeepers with minimum wage temporary workers and notes housekeepers at some Hyatt hotels clean as many as 30 rooms a day, nearly double what is typically required at union hotels. It contends injury rates for Hyatt housekeepers are high and says to date federal and state safety regulators have issued 15 citations against Hyatt at ten hotels and three citations against two of the Hyatt’s housekeeping subcontractors.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/7536203-418/hyatt-workers-launch-week-long-strike.html

2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be at the PH Chicago this weekend - will report here if there are any strikes. Have had some unpleasant encounters with striking union workers at the Andaz WeHo in the past.

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh dear.
    Personally- I don't like the idea of outsourced housekeeping- the people associated with the hotel have a strong interest in keeping you and your belongings very safe- is this necessarily as true for an outsourced company? I am not sure enough to bet on it.

uggboy likes this.
  4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    But if this is an issue for you, how do you know that the housekeeping staff isn't outsourced at any of the other hotels or chains you stay at?

uggboy likes this.
  5. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just informed by my PLA that Suite Upgrades are not possible to confirm right now at the affected hotels due to limited staff.

Quasiconvexity, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  6. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Staff have been picketing at Buckhead (ATL) Grand Hyatt for quite some time. Don't know if they are one of the properties being affected by the strike now or not.

uggboy likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't always know- however hotels with "not interested" housekeeping staff I don't stay at twice.

uggboy likes this.
  8. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for keeping us updated on the situation first hand!

Agreed!

With Hyatt at the moment, everything seems possible!

flyingdawg likes this.