Hyatt Wiki - Comments & Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by peteropny, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was just notified by Mikel (at HOM) that they are now testing out the Wiki function in our Hyatt forum. This may be found at the top of this page. Please take a look and play with it and give us comments (good & bad) in this thread.

Thanks!!!

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice! So we can separate out discussions from content that's maintained by the users in a collaborative fashion.

3. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I actually have 1 suggestion already - for the Property Index & Review section - "my" first post in http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/hyatt-property-master-list-and-reviews.1663/ was copied over. We really should have it in one place - either in the "stickied" thread with a link posted in the Wiki or eliminate the stickied thread totally and just have it up in the wiki. Since otherwise this way, 2 places need to be edited to add "new" reviews - which is quite often right now that MilePoint is just starting up. If we keep it this way, it will get quickly out of sync. Let me know which way is preferred and I'll work with it.

4. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also, how often is the MilePoint database being backed up - I'm concerned about the unlikely event that "sabotage" occurs when the post is wiped out or edited with wrong information.

5. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yikes -- hadn't even considered 'sabotage'![​IMG]

6. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the 'wiki' format, but as much as we don't want to create more work (ie. updating in 2 places), it's probably best to keep the 'stickied' thread & post the link in the Wiki! I think most folks are accustomed to the 'sticky' format from teh other site, so it's easy to reference the reviews here![​IMG]

Kaanapali and peteropny like this.
  7. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't really care which way we go - but it's one or the other - not both - otherwise they'd be out of sync. Maybe we'll setup a "poll" on this (if I can figure out how to). Ok - I guess I can't add a poll to this thread - so I had to create a new thread on this - http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/property-index-reviews.2783/ - please vote (I'll refrain from voting so that I don't sway the opinions).

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Might be too much work to maintain given the number of properties, but ideally I'd love to find some generic (semi-objective) information about the properties summarized in the wiki. Obviously, everyone's experience is going to be slightly different and a generic "review" wouldn't be possible, but are there enough facts that could be extracted that aren't also on the "fact sheet" of the property on the Hyatt site? Thoughts?

9. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok - played with the Wiki a bit (specifically the Elite Tier section) - I noticed that there is a function to compare the "current" version with any of the "prior" ones - but that comparison is so technical that I can't tell what the changes are - is it possible to have the comparison in "English"?

10. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    May I suggest that "you guys" play with the "Hyatt Glossary" section of the Wiki since it's completely blank right now - to get a really good feel for the Wiki function here?

11. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel review part only has the US Hyatts in it, but Peter is totally right, but I'll generalize his comment: any information needs to be in one and only one place. I think that the hotel reviews should live in the wiki and be referred to in the forum. That way, someone wanting to research hotels would have an easier time. Plus it would also be better competition for tripadvisor, if that is desired. However, you'll have to go further than that to compete with tripadvisor, including very likely a way to rate the reviewers and a way for reviewers to award stars to hotels.

BTW, you know what I would like for every hotel: something that listed the SIZE of rooms in each room category, from the smallest entry-level room right up to the biggest suite. I'd love this to be consistent across all hotels, not just those in the Hyatt group. Then people like me, for whom size matters (at my age!!!), could go in and do a sort on, say, "hotel rooms in Tampa, Florida that are 50sqmt or larger, arranged in order of hotel quality rating," etc.

I don't think there is a website anywhere that makes it easy to find room size in a standardized way.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, as a software developer it makes sense to me :)

I just edited the elite tier page to try out the wiki. Have a look at the "diff" (comparison) of my changed version with the previous one:

http://milepoint.com/forums/wiki/hyatt-gold-passport-elite-status/compare/44/

The red text is what was deleted. The blue text is what I added. Unfortunately it has the forum/wiki markup in it, so you see tags instead of the actual formatting. If you see something you don't like, you can edit the text right below the comparison section, or you can simply remember what you want to edit and go back to the Rich Text editor and create a new version there by editing it in place.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the actual reviews should live in the wiki (unless we wanted to give each reviewer a separate page for their review and maybe suggest some basic format). A forum thread for each property where people can post their subjective comments, report their specific experiences and ask/answer questions (as on FT) seems the right approach to me. It shows who posted it and when. And it maintains some basic "order", i.e., no one can accidentally edit or delete someone else's review. What I was suggesting a few posts ago was to maybe consider summarizing some objective data (e.g., the room size per category, as you suggested, or information about limo/car services offered or nearby public transit) in a wiki format.

I like your idea, but unfortunately I don't think the wiki is the right tool for this. It doesn't offer any sorting capabilities and is really just a collection of web pages that are convenient to edit and link together. What you suggest would require some type of database structure. Not difficult to do, but I suspect that the forum/wiki software used here doesn't offer it.

RichardInSF likes this.
  14. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting Comments. Played a bit with creating a Gx bonus description for the most common G bonuses (G1,G2 and G3). Please feel free to add, edit etc as needed :)

RichardInSF likes this.
  15. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about adding the information from the thread I created recently about the hyatts with regency clubs closed?

RichardInSF likes this.
  16. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Note - anyone can add stuff to the wiki - that is the purpose - doesn't have to be an admin to edit.