Hyatt Visa Card One-Year Anniversary "Offer" - 1 free night, standard room, Cat 1-4

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Kaanapali, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a pretty lame offer imho....from the generic slow-mail brochure...(confirming earlier rumors)

"As a charter member of the Hyatt Credit Card, we look forward to celebrating your one year anniversary, and we are delighted to offer you a gift in recognition of your continued loyalty to Hyatt.

Following your anniversary in (month), you will be rewarded with an Award Night.

- Your award night will be issued in November
    - You're more than welcome to redeem your reward for any available standard room at a Hyatt hotel and resort in categories 1-4
    - As a cardmember, you will continue to enjoy this anniversary bonus each year hereafter."

Note there is no apparent distinction between Platinum and Diamonds in this offer (unlike the original issuance of this card, in which Plats got 2 free nights in any Hyatt and Diamonds got 2 free suite nights in any Hyatt).

Since most resorts in the US are at least at Cat 5.....this really is only good for a domestic "normal" Hyatt. It might have more value in Asia of course (where resorts typically are at a lower Category). Is a free Hyatt night in a standard room worth the annual fee? (No details in brochure if annual fee was going up or staying the same). YMMV

Kalboz, savydog, flyingdawg and 4 others like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

FriendlySkies, savydog and Horse like this.
  3. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the annual fee?

savydog, uggboy and Kaanapali like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    $75

uggboy and Horse like this.
  5. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eh, I think its still worth it for me. I'm sure I can get $75 in value out of the free night. I certainly would not have kept the card without it, but pretty certainly will with it. I would imagine its not a slam dunk for most though.

The worst part for me was seeing "one year anniversary" on the card...

6. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the free night counted to status (like let's say Hilton)....I would agree most would see value in retaining the card.

savydog, uggboy and Horse like this.
  7. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they can still be swayed :rolleyes:

savydog, uggboy, Horse and 1 other person like this.
  8. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Time to switch cards!

9. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree!

10. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    it's a bit of an odd offer. No hotel in New York City qualifies. No hotel in Tokyo qualifies. On the other hand, in other foreign cities, and in many other U.S. cities, hotels qualify

savydog, Horse and uggboy like this.
  11. Misterstuf
    Original Member

Misterstuf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like this offer makes the $75 annual fee worth it, but otherwise it doesn't really excite me. Now I jsut have to figure out if I'm going to keep this card after my anniversary.

Horse and uggboy like this.
  12. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weak offer....time to churn.....

savydog, Horse and uggboy like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'd be interested to know how much those of you who consider this a weak offer have run through the card over the course of the year.

kenbo, Horse and uggboy like this.
  14. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    No forex fees bumps up the worth a bit though, no?

FriendlySkies, Horse and uggboy like this.
  15. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it had this feature to begin with in the first year....

Horse likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it did. And if it was my only forex-free card (*), it would be worth quite a bit to me.

(*) I don't have the Hyatt card, but I have the PC and BA Visas, both of which are forex-fee free.

17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek::p:D

goheerow, flyingdawg and Horse like this.
  18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Of course, no category limit would be better. And making it a suite night for diamonds would be better. And a suite night with no category limit and a pony would be better still.

But this is a free night benefit that you didn't know you had and that before this communication you did not have! So don't look a gift night in the mouth :)

See, I"m keeping this card because it's a no foreign exchange fee visa which bonuses Hyatt spend. It's certainly not my primary card for spend, but I wasn't getting rid of it to begin with, if I get a free night that's nice. I'd rather use that free night in New York at one of the Andaz properties, or at the future Park Hyatt, to be sure. Rather than say in Ft Lauderdale.

But this does at least begin to address one of the shortcomings of the card, the two major ones are that it had a nice signup bonus (especially for diamonds) but not much to encourage retention and also that while they nicely encourage you to get the card there isn't a whole lot of reason to spend on the card outside of for non-US transactions.

I'd love to see the free night permissable at a higher redemption category, but it's a free night :)

I'd love to see some sort of threshold bonus for spend, X nights and Y stays towards status for spending $Z or XXX bonus points after $ZZZ in spend in a calendar year. Those would go a long way towards incentivizing real spend on the card, something I don't do a ton of presently.

I'm curious how this free night benefit will manifest itself for me. I wasn't a charter member of the card, I didn't get it until March (because I was actually putting off the free suite nights, since they expire in a year). Since this is an annual benefit, I assume it isn't really just for charter cardholders. But will folks receive the benefit each November? Or on their cardmember anniversary?

19. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I do see value in $75 for a free night in a Cat 4, how does this card really differentiate itself from let's say a similar Chase product for Marriott - the Marriott Rewards® Premier Visa® Signature Card. (which among other things does not only give you a free night on cardmember anniversary for a Cat 1-5, 15 nights to status, the forex free, but also manages to give 2pts for dollar spent on airline, dining and rental car purchases - all for a $65 annual fee). Moreover, and to address the threshold bonus for spend, the Marriott Chase card product earns 1 elite night credit for each $3k in purchases, with no limit to how many elite nights you can earn. See https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/marriott-credit-cards.aspx

I am not advocating getting the Marriott card - as I believe Hyatt's elite program is far superior. But it is an interesting comparison for the respective Chase hotel -branded cards.....nonetheless....

Gleff - the fine print on the brochure says the Hyatt Cat 1-4 free night will be awarded 6-8 weeks after your cardmember anniversary (so I presume that led to the quoted generic language in my brochure)

uggboy, Horse and gleff like this.
  20. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agreed on all of that. The Hyatt Visa is not the most generous card out there. But if it makes sense for you to carry anyway, such that you were already keeping the card, this just makes it better than it was before.

If you're not sure it makes sense for you to have the card, this may not tip the scales considering other card products you might be considering.

uggboy and Kaanapali like this.
  21. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    What benefits does a charter member get during the year that a regular cardholder does not? Do they get different renewal benefits? What renewal offers have you received in the past?

I did go back and look at the Hyatt Place I normally stay at a few times a year. It is only a category 2 and the rates are usually $125-$284 depending on the day of the week. So after rethinking this, I would probably keep the card and use the free night when rates are high on the weekend during one of my trips.

goheerow, uggboy and Kaanapali like this.
  22. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is the first anniversary of the Card (it only came into existence last fall I believe). There is no news afaik regarding whether Charter Members get something that regular cardholders do not - but that is an interesting question.

23. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like everyone I want something for nothing, but on reviewing what I can get with this free night I am satisfied.

PH Saigon is a category 4, rates there are normally between $200-$300. It is actually my favourite Hyatt, I prefer it over GH Kauai, so for us this free night will get us something decent.

Kaanapali, kenbo and uggboy like this.
  24. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    this was unexpected, I just got the same mailing as Kaanapali yesterday. It's a nice gesture and it'll make the annual fee a much easier sell. Still I'd hope for some benefit upon reaching a certain spend threshold, like hilton's spend $40K and get diamond.

Kaanapali and uggboy like this.
  25. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed
    it does for me, however I wasn't a charter member (at least I don't believe I was), if I'm not going to get the one free night, then I search for another CC that offers no forex fees and go with that.

Kaanapali, kenbo and uggboy like this.