Hyatt testing GP Card as Room Key at Andaz in CA

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by peteropny, Jun 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Per Hotel Chatter article - http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...Your_Gold_Passport_Card_is_Also_Your_Room_Key - Hyatt is testing using Gold Passport Card as Room key at the Andaz LA & Andaz SD.

I'm not sure how it would work since FWIW my GP Diamond card does not have a magnetic stripe or a chip embedded (to my knowledge) and while I have not been to the Andaz SD, the Andaz LA uses room keys with chip embedded since it's proximity sensored. I'm assuming that a "regular" check-in would still be required in order to get your room assignment and the card programmed since the elevator at the Andaz LA requires a room key to access guest floors.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps the next wave of GP cards will have embedded chips?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How's this going to work if I want two keys? (which is the case pretty much every time I travel with my wife)

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a great idea. The less cards to carry, the better. What would be best in my opinion is if the credit card you checkin with can be your room key. I don't typically carry all my travel cards- just have their numbers on file.

5. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ease/reliability of use and cost-effectiveness/durability of the devices/system are just some of the factors to consider; but the key function of a door lock is securing from unauthorized access/use.

I hope they consider the possibility of criminals trying to access rooms.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't SPG field testing this also, but using your phone or some crazy thing like that? I think they'd send you some kind of funky MP3 that you could play to your door lock and it would unlock it.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? And when housekeeping is vacuuming outside your room, you can't get in because the noise overpowers your phone?

Fumbling around with his phone and finding the right "song" in the iPod app is exactly what I want the drunk guy in the room across the hall from me do at 3am. :D

Maybe they could try and solve a problem that is actually looking for a solution?

8. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What I do not like about this is that I prefer to leave my Gold Passport card stored, and I like collecting all of the cool hotel cards from the various Hyatts (Zurich, Kauai, etc.).

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep me too... I have a shoebox full of room keys going back years. I wouldn't mind keeping the collection growing, but I guess that's one of the problems that hotels have. I'm sure even if the keys only cost pennies to make, that adds up over time.

10. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    From memory it was some European IHG properties, which were trying out a one-time audible key.

Can't find a reference to it, but here's my recollection of how it worked from viewing the demonstration videos at the time:

The idea was that before your scheduled arrival, the property would send a multimedia message to your handset containing a one-time use audio file and your room number. Upon arriving, simply go straight to the room (hand off luggage to the porters of course), and play the audio file to the door mechanism. If verified, it would unlock the door and your room key for the duration of your stay would be waiting for you inside.