Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Jenny & Curt, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Had one-night stay here 2-11-11. Was a bit apprehensive after earlier (2007) truly awful reviews, but really quite enjoyed the stay.
    I think it's really important that folks who stay at a Summerfield Suites understand that there is a niche these "suite" properties fill, and it may not be the same as that filled by other Hyatt properties. So, things which might be annoying to a luxury traveler might be just right for families on vacation, which I suspect, in addition to business travelers during the week, is what they're aiming at.
    *Parking is free!
    *At check-in, FD staff was friendly, helpful and recognized Platinum status, welcoming us and asking if we wanted points or a fruit bowl for our amenity. We chose points, and they offered us each a beverage from the fridge in addition. FD area is bright and well-lit, as is the area beyond used for breakfast and lounge area. Meeting room(s) are also available if needed. Not sure if there is a charge for use.
    *A small but inviting pool is at the rear of the lobby area. There is also a "ball court" for tennis(?) or basketball, which I would imagine is great if traveling with kids -- not so much for those who might need to be asleep nearby during the day.
    *Small "store" area doesn't have tons of stock, but could keep one from starving.
    *We were not able to enjoy the evening social hour, as our stay was on a Friday. Each weeknight, though, rotating selections are available, such as Potato Skin Bar, Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Pizza Bar, Nacho Bar, etc.
    *Room was quite large, with separate bedroom and living/dining area. Fit and finish in kitchen and living room were adequate, and the bed and duvet were very comfortable. It was really nice to have a full-sized refrigerator, even for only one night, and not to have it full of mini-bar items I have no intention of purchasing.
    *No elevators, which is OK, but our room was right at the top of the stairs, and I noticed some noise coming up the stairwell from the lobby area. No problem for us, but it might have been had the lobby been fuller or the clientele been partiers.
    *Breakfast was quite a bit above Holiday Inn Express, but not full-service hotel quality. But, it was free for all guests, which I often, traveling as a Platinum, forget is really important. Cooked eggs and sausage, cold cereal. No cooked oatmeal. Juices, teas, coffee. Bagels, toast, English muffins.
    *Wonderful local restaurants, within walking distance. Fleming's was great for steak, if pricey. PF Chang's nearby, as are Paul Martin's, McCormick & Schmick's, Houston's -- lots of other options. Also, CVS Drug within walking distance, as is Fresh & Easy Market.
    *No shuttle to LAX, but the Green Line (Douglas stop) is right next door. (Though we noticed no noise at all from it.) FYI, the Metro doesn't go quite all the way to LAX, so you get off at the Aviation/LAX stop and take the free shuttle the rest of the way. Reverse for arriving here.
    *Prices can be a bit high sometimes, but it's the only Hyatt property anywhere near LAX.
    All in all, a nice stay.
    Wurm likes this.
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Stayed here twice, decent property. The staff was friendly and helpful. The second time I stayed here, the room strongly smelled of industrial cleaner. Maybe somebody had an accident in there. Staff quickly changed my room.
  3. I've stayed here three times now as I take advantage of Hyatt's Q2 promotion as it's the only Hyatt fairly close to LAX.

The rooms are spacious with a full-size kitchen, oven range, microwave, sink, toaster and coffee maker. Plates, glasses and utensils are supplied in the kitchen cabinets.

One desk for the computer with wireless access from AT&T - not the fastest as watching movies on my laptop on Netflix is pretty rough. Another small dining table, flat panel TV, couch and chair in the living area.

In the other room, a nice sized king sized bed, regular cathode tube tv (be nice to have a flat panel in the bedroom as well) and a walk-in closet.

There's a nice outdoor pool in the center of the hotel complex along with a Jacuzzi, sport court (basketball and racquet) and work out room. Free breakfast (nothing fancy) and a happy hour. The location is great as there are lots of restaurants, grocery stores, Starbucks/Noah Bagels literally next door. Front Desk staff are friendly.

It'd be nice if they would just slip the bill under your door like other hotels but you actually have to check out at the FD on the day you're leaving. Twice, I've stayed in rooms that face into the complex (e.g. towards the pool) and once outward (I could hear the Green Line so in the future, I'll ask for the inward facing rooms).

I come here on business but I can see why it's so popular with families. Overall a great value for both the business and family traveler!
  4. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Another group that SS seems to cater to is sports teams and school groups - the suite layouts and expandable bedding options can be good for those kinds of large groups.