Hyatt Suite Upgrade certificates

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Dad to GO, Aug 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone,

I just got the Hyatt Diamond challenge and doubt I will reach the requirement to keep it so I want to maximize it by applying for the Chase Hyatt card and getting the 2 suite upgrades for point stays. Does anyone know how long they are valid? I wouldn't be using them until May. Are they good for a full year from card opening or just a certain length of time like a few months?

Thanks!

Gary

Tenmoc and uggboy like this.
  2. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, they are good for one year after issuance. Aren't these 2 suite award nts (as opposed to 2 suite upgrades)?:confused: AFAIK, award stays are not upgradeable with suite upgrade awards -- possibly with points, though.

uggboy and perryplatypus like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Diamond is confirmed suites nights.
    Platinum is suite upgrades on paid nights.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    and indeed they're valid for a year

uggboy and healinginfluence like this.
  5. bretta

bretta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, my wife got the Hyatt card in early July this year, and hers are valid until 7/31/2013, so 1 year, plus part of the month of issue, which is even better!

6. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gary, the suite upgrades are valid only on paid stays, not points stays.

healinginfluence and uggboy like this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen many reports where they use the 2 free nights and add one more night (start or end) that is paid; use the upgrade and get 3 nights in a suite.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I agree it's a worthwhile strategy. However, I thought Gary might think, in accordance with his post, that he could use both points and a complimentary suite upgrade certificate on the same night's stay.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My nights are just ordinary nights, so no confirmed upgrade on them for me.

11. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is up to the individual property, and not official policy, AFAIK. I have used a suite upgrade for a paid nt + award nts & the property applied the suite to all the nts. Actually in BKK, the property was kind enough to apply one suite upgrade (from my a/c) to mixed paid nts from myself & my friend!:cool:

edekba likes this.
  12. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do the Chase Hyatt suite upgrades have the same rules as the Gold Passport ones? Gold Passport: "When redeeming suite upgrades at a resort property, you must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc). At non-resort properties you must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate."

13. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:

My Chase awarded suite award upgrade T&C say "Guest must pay an eligible rate as defined in Hyatt Gold Passport terms and conditions."

And the Hyatt GP T&C has the line about Hyatt Daily rates.

"In order to redeem a Regency Club™ or Grand Club™ upgrade award or a Suite upgrade award at a Hyatt Resort property, member must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc.). In order to redeem a Regency/Grand Club upgrade award or a Suite upgrade award at a non-resort property, member must pay a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate "

viguera likes this.
  14. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe so. Any rate you find on Hyatt.com should work (AAA and Costco discounts work, though I'm not sure about corporate). If it's a resort, then you have to make sure you get a view room. Garden/mountain views in Hawaii don't qualify.

15. wanymayold

wanymayold Active Member

Status Points:
    Could you point me to the report of this?
    I happen to have a stay with two free nights followed by one paid night.
    Shall I just call Hyatt to apply my suite upgrade on the paid night and ask for the rest when I check in?

16. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think wanymayold was speaking of getting the two free suite nights and then doing a paid night with upgrade for the third night. If your credit card nights are for a standard room, you may or may not be able to work something out. Perhaps begin with the paid + upgrade night so that, if they want to just leave you in that room, they can. Also, I suggest checking with reservations to see if there are suites available on the nights you are thinking of, so that you have a preview of whether your strategy (or any) would work. Hotels cannot give you something they haven't got in inventory!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  17. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    We ended up using the 2 free nights (in a suite) to book rooms in May 2013 in Berlin and Milan. Am I correct in thinking that even if we are not Diamond status at the time of check in they will still honor the rooms as suites since we were Diamonds when the rooms were booked?