Hyatt Status Challenge Review--> From SPG

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by jmgriffin, Jul 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Applied for the Hyatt Diamond Status Challenge (link to full post) a few weeks ago with great results. Hyatt really brought out some awesome customer service and now is really giving Starwood a run for their money. Timeline:
    • Email 1: Tuesday at 11:35am — My request to Hyatt (matching from SPG Platinum)
    • Email 2: Tuesday at 7:49pm -- Hyatt Response
    • Email 3: Tuesday at 7:58pm -- I reply that I accept the offer
    • Email 4: Wednesday at 10:59am -- Hyatt confirms enrollment
    • Wednesday at 3:35pm -- Checked Hyatt app and found that Diamond status had been applied--book first stay for later that night
    • Wednesday at 8:21pm — Checked into Grand Hyatt Buckhead, was thanked for being a Diamond member and upgraded to “Luxury Suite” (best room offered: 1,240 sq ft, 1.5 bath, huge living room etc, kitchen etc…)

So within 24 hrs of initial request I had confirmation that I was enrolled, 3 hrs after that my account reflected Diamond status and 5 hrs after that I had successfully checked in with Diamond status. Thanks Hyatt!

For full details (copies of emails, screenshots and pics of my upgraded room!) check out my blog post here: http://www.weekendblitz.com/hyatt-diamond-status-challenge/

[​IMG]

karung99, Kalboz, tommy777 and 4 others like this.
  2. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had similar experience with Hyatt as well. I successfully completed the status challenge in March and have been very pleased with the service and consistent upgrades. My only "just OK" experience was where I least expected it. That was the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek. I was expecting a little better experience. Maybe the bar was already set too high from our experiences at the Andaz properties in Seattle and Napa. Overall, very pleased.

3. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, unfortunately most of my nights as a new Diamond have been at Hyatt Place or Hyatt House. I stayed at the Park Hyatt Vendome Paris on award points w/ no status and was practically treated like a Diamond--free upgrade, free champagne in room and free breakfast at their legendary buffet.

karung99, Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of this gushing is beginning to sound quite fantastic. Hyatt does not do that for their own Platinum elites on revenue stay, why would they do it for someone with no status who was spending no money at all at a property like Park Hyatt Vendome Paris? I spent 2 nights at Part Hyatt Saigon for $600/night as a GP Platinum and got zilch. Heck, even GP Diamonds are lucky if they get upgraded!

I do not wish to rain on the parade, but my sense is that once the "honeymoon" is over, you will need to (a) start thinking about requalifying that Diamond status, because it is the only status that matters in GP, and it can be a tall order, and (b) get used to paying higher room rates in hard $$ than at the other chains for comparable or lower quality properties.

karung99 likes this.
  5. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:

Gushing? Fantastic? Just trying to report on my experience, it is a fact that:
    • I'm enrolled in the Diamond challenge and have been impressed with the customer service with all Hyatt employees I've been in contract with
    • I've found the service to be better than Starwood, my main point of reference. Maybe just a "honeymoon" period, time will tell.
    • I had a 1-night stay at the Park Hyatt Vendome in March using 22k GP points where I was upgraded from a Park Queen to a Park Deluxe King at check-in
    • I had no status with Hyatt at the time, not even a single night with them...ever. My GP account was newly create just weeks before.
    • Was then offered to a complementary breakfast for being a "first time guest"
    • When we returned back to the room from being out there was a bottle of champagne on ice with a note from the staff welcoming us--> maybe they had me confused with someone else?
    Guess it was just a slow day at hotel? Either way it made an impression and they've earned a shot at more of my business.
    Good point, I can see that a bit already. Some of these Regencys look like they were out of date decades ago!

karung99 and Kalboz like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thread title promises a challenge review and not a fantasy. There are several threads that discuss the pros and cons of the GP program so that we have a realistic sense about what the program offers. Free upgrades for non-elites on award stays at top Hyatt properties is a fantasy and not a review of anything.

BTW -- the Park Hyatt Vendome thing sounds almost like a case of "mistaken identity".;)

karung99 likes this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... and, (c) fewer properties 492 Hyatts versus 1150 SPGs

karung99 likes this.
  8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The PH Vendome has been reported several times to be especially generous, either to first-time staying GP members or perhaps it was first-time GP members on awards being treated to breakfast and also some reports of Platinum breakfast though it may be the same phenomenon.

karung99, jmgriffin and Kalboz like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Luck of the draw....;)

karung99 and Kalboz like this.