Hyatt sold out, and then not

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by dcw74, Feb 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dcw74

dcw74 Active Member

Status Points:
    We have an upcoming stay at the the Hyatt Tsim Sha Tsui in Hong Kong, and I called last week to apply a suite upgrade to our reservation. I was told that most of the hotel was sold out for the first half of our stay (and I checked online to confirm), so the agent applied the upgrade to the second half. Yesterday I decided to check availability again, and the website showed the regency suite as being available for all 4 nights of our stay (as well as many other room types). I called and was able to get the upgrade applied to our entire stay. Cool.
    I'm just wondering if this is a pretty common occurrence and what the cause is? A hotel being sold out for a particular time frame, and then suddenly having lots of availability. Did a tour group suddenly cancel? Were rooms set aside for third party booking agency and then released back to the hotel?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be as little as one room. That's the difference between available and full. ;)

dcw74, mht_flyer, marcwint55 and 3 others like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    it happens frequently, so it is a good idea to always check back.

Sweet Willie, dcw74 and mht_flyer like this.
  4. dcw74

dcw74 Active Member

Status Points:
    I still see suite availability so maybe it was two rooms =) Anyhow, thanks for the input. I've really enjoyed reading your blog and cast my votes for you at TravelSummary!

marcwint55 and Scottrick like this.
  5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    especially in convention cities or popular cities, hotels put blocks of rooms on hold, then if potential number of attendees declines, rooms open up.

dcw74, LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly- especially for Hong Kong and near trade fair time periods- as the block is automatically released a large amount of availability can open up.

dcw74 and Sweet Willie like this.