Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by tom911, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrived at the check-in desk around 7pm, walking over from Metro at Union Station. Received a warm greeting and mention of my two-night stay. Problem was that I had only booked a one night stay and had documentation for that. The agent quickly cleaned up the booking and then said she'd see if she could find me a better room. That “better room” ended up being a nice suite on the 7th floor. Very happy there. I did notice an ice machine in the hallway outside this room but only heard it dispensing ice one time that evening when I was in the living room area. I doubt you would hear it in the bedroom section.

Visited the 11th floor Regency Club at 8:15 (cake from 8-9) and had some lemon tarts (only item out) and Perrier. There was a loud group of about 4 people in one corner that were hard to tune out, so I stayed about 10 minutes and left. Had my netbook along and wi-fi signal was fine in there. I didn't notice a lot of seating, maybe 4 tables, but there were doors on one side of the lounge that might open up. There wouldn't be a lot of room to work with for breakfast without opening up into that area. Anyone know if they do that in the morning?

Slept perfectly. Went down to the breakfast buffet off the lobby at 8 (3A rate with breakfast on this visit). They had a chicken apple sausage that was very good, and in addition to that hot items included bacon, hash browns, scrambled eggs, pancakes, and some type of egg white frittata (didn't try it). I also had some oatmeal with brown sugar. There were at least 3 different kinds of bagels to choose from, and an omelette station was up and running (didn't visit it this trip). There was also sliced melon, cantaloupe and pineapple, and a selection of breakfast cereals in glass canisters. Not as large a selection as Grand Hyatt, but more than Hyatt Arlington and Hyatt Crystal City, and a good amount of floor space so you're not bumping into other guests as you make your selections.

On check out I was billed for wi-fi, but that was removed when I mentioned my Diamond status. I had originally booked Hyatt Arlington but during the week this property changed its rate and was only $9 more for the weekend (G2 bonus, too, making it worth the change). Back again next week.

Two photos here with rest linked in THIS GALLERY.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice review! Thanks for posting :)

3. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like they gave you an Executive Suite.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And to think up until two years ago I had never stayed in a suite my entire life :) I've probably had a half dozen comped suite upgrades this last year in the U.S. and Europe.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. endodoc79
    Original Member

endodoc79 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have stayed at HR Capitol Hill many times, most recently for 2 days including New Year's Eve. When I had called for the reservation I asked to use a suite upgrade and was told no standard suite was available. Needless to say I was quite surprised at checkin when I was told we were getting the Premier Suite on the 6th floor (688).
    There was about 800 square feet of space including entry foyer, dining room table for 6, living room with working desk equipped with a Sony Vaio computer system, Bose stereo and DVD player as well as a very large separate bedroom and an oversized bathroom with separate shower and tub. The living room was a corner room with a lovely view of the Capitol. It was great for a New Year's Eve celebration.
    The Regency Club offerings for breakfast was typical with fresh bakery products, fruits, cheeses and bagels with lox. Evening fare included sea scallops, sliced chicken and raw vegetables, cheeses, olives, etc. The hotel was fairly empty and we were some of the only people to visit the club according to the attendant.
    The hotel is very large with 834 rooms and suites though it has a more boutique feel to it compared to the Grand Hyatt Washington which is about a mile away. The weekend rates have been very favorable, though the valet parking is expensive at $41 + tax.

YULtide likes this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would never have guessed it was that big. I can see why they heavily discount on non-convention weekends to fill those rooms.

7. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On my last stay I got upgraded to the Presidental Suite, which was a nice surprise.Also the manager on duty came out to welcome me back to the property and offered to walk me up to the room. The stay before I was giving a Capitol Suite and before that an Executive Suite like tom911. The Suite was located on the 10th floor room 1089 if I remember correctly. It had a two bathrooms, livingroom with chessboard, dining area and an office area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the Pictures from the Capitol and Presidental Suites.

tom911 likes this.
  8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was back again this weekend. On check-in the counter agent could not find my reservation, and I foolishly had not printed out my booking with the confirmation number. She did a lot of searching about in the computer and eventually found it, telling me that it had been canceled and reinstated (not by me--other than the initial booking I had not touched the reservation). Resolved in about 5 minutes.

This time I was in a 10th floor king which is what I had booked. Visited the Regency Club at 7:30pm and has some roast beef, sliced tomato, and salad. I sat across from a table of lawyers talking litigation and settlement below the TV tuned to CNN, so after 5 minutes bailed out. Just not large enough to comfortably fit in there. Also, only Pepsi in the refrigerator (no Diet Pepsi) so had a bottle of water instead.

Enjoyed the breakfast buffet again (staying on 3A breakfast rate), having pancakes rather than eggs this time.

[​IMG][​IMG]

FriendlySkies and Kalboz like this.
  9. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can confirm the Regency Club here is tiny. On weekends, when folks filter through over a long period of time, that would be fine, but on a weekday, with a rush at 7:30, I would think it would be unbearable.

10. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should add that the regency club has doors which open up to a more spacious area - one which I imagine may be meeting space. It seems that when the meeting space is not spoken for, it becomes available for the lounge, which is likely the smallest club lounge I have ever seen at any chain's hotels.

11. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The photos from Tom look like they have it arranged similar to the Hyatt ORD Regency Club.

12. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, none of the above photos depicts the regency club (I think the photo with the food is the restaurant, and it depict at least five times the square footage of the club).

13. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Even so, the arrangement is similar to the property that I mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint