Hyatt Regency Waikiki - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by FriendlySkies, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at this property in December, and can't wait until I return!

Front Desk:
    The hotel seems to cater to many tourists (duh), so the lines can be long. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the Platinum/Diamond line, which had an associate that was ready to help the next elite customer. Instead of waiting for fifteen minutes in the regular line, we were checked-in and walking to the elevators, in just five minutes. The agent at the desk upgraded us to an Ocean View King, while the other couple with me got the Penthouse Suite. The agent also gave us the Diamond amenity cards, which had some good choices.. A very nice fruit & wine basket was left in both rooms, as well as a hand-written note from the hotel manager.

[​IMG]

Ocean View King:
    The Ocean View King is an excellent room. As you can see from the photos below, you have a great view of Waikiki Beach, as well as Diamond Head. The room was nicely decorated, and the bed had amazing pillows (better than most Hyatt properties). The bathroom was a bit small, but adequate for just one or two people. Portico soaps and lotions were included, and seemed a bit nicer than the normal soaps and lotions.

[​IMG]

Penthouse Suite:
    After opening the door, I could tell that this would be a very nice room! :D Penthouse opens to a very large living room, complete with a small bathroom, bar area, large deck, couches, Bose sound system, and a table that was big enough for ten FTers to share wine/fruit :D

The living room included a very nice, flat-panel HDTV, as well as one of the top-quality Bose sound systems, complete with a large selection of DVDs & CDs. The hotel also provided an iPod dock.

With the bar area, there was a nice refrigerator, that included complimentary bottles of Hawaiian water. We were also given an Espresso machine, microwave, and some silverware.

While I did not sleep in the Penthouse, the bedroom did look very nice. The bathroom was huge, and included the upgraded soaps and lotions. The bathroom also included a wall-mounted, flat panel TV.

[​IMG]
    Living Room (sorry for the bad quality! We were so engaged with checking out the room, that I forgot to get a few more photos)

[​IMG]
    Master Bathroom

[​IMG]
    Master Bedroom

Regency Club:
    The Regency Club is located on the 40th floor of the Ewa tower. While the lounge is small (converted Penthouse suite), they are currently building a new lounge on the third floor of the Ewa tower. Unfortunately, the lounge will loose the great ocean views, but it will be able to accommodate more guests.

For breakfast, the RC has a very nice spread. Juices, tea, as well as coffee/espresso are available. They also had a nice spread of fruit, toast, muffins, and scones, as well as my personal favorite, Lox! :)

The staff in the RC are amazing. From helping you get a rental car, to giving recommendations of local restaurants.. They can't be beat!

Restaurant:

I'm blanking on the name of the hotel restaurant near the pool deck, but I would recommend them. Included in our stay was free breakfast, so that was a very good deal. There was a buffet that you could peruse, as well as a large menu (Eggs Benedict, etc) to order from. I went with the buffet, which included everything from teriyaki chicken and rice, eggs, sausage, ham, various fruits, muffins, scones, bread, and some pork items. Very good food.

Overall:

I'd highly recommend this hotel! From the outstanding front-desk staff, to the great atmosphere of the RC. This hotel is a great option for Waikiki!

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice review!

I believe the RC is currently in the Diamond Head tower (so if you have access to the club, it would be desirable to get a room in the same tower to avoid the long trip down and back up). The old breakfast/lunch restaurant was called Terrace Grill, and I really liked the buffet, too.

As you said, it's unfortunate that the lounge with its upcoming move to the 3rd floor is losing its awesome views. Sunset on the balcony with a Mai Tai was always an experience.

3. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    FS - Excellent review! We loved this property, lets plan a trip back there soon.

uggboy and FriendlySkies like this.
  4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'll be posting more photos, once I get back to my laptop. MPT only allows five photos per post :mad:

5. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll have my first visit here shortly - I'm only a Plat but am hoping for an upgrade of some sort. Looking forward to the visit.

uggboy likes this.
  6. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As promised, here are a few more photos..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dining Area in Penthouse

[​IMG]
    Kitchen

[​IMG]
    Diamond Head & Waikiki Beach

[​IMG]
    Ewa & Diamond Towers

uggboy likes this.
  7. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
  8. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FS, I excellent review and I enjoyed reading it.

ryandc99 and uggboy like this.
  9. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very much enjoyed our stay here in March. The staff (at check in, in the club, and at check out) were all warm and friendly. The room was big, and the view from the balcony was fantastic. Parking spaces were tiny and expensive (as in all major cities) - would just rent a car for the day next time. The club had a nice spread for breakfast and in the evenings. Would like to return soon.

IMG_1707.JPG IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1714.JPG IMG_1751.JPG

uggboy likes this.
  10. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just returned home from this property. Great reviews. I am a platinum member and was upgraded to an ocean view king. It was a nice spacious room, much like the above photos. One of the nicest amenities if you know to ask for it, is the use of a hospitality suite for a shower and change for the last night return to the mainland. It was great. The pool was nice and the staff hustle as it was forever busy. We ordered Chinese from the restaurant, to pick-up one night. What was interesting is the room service menu prices are actually less expensive than going to the restaurant and picking food up to go! Overall great hotel. Perfect location with awesome views!

OceanBreezes, Gtitan, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  11. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your best hope of an upgrade at this property would be if you select 2 beds instead of the 1 king. They always oversell the King rooms. We are Plats and have been offered this upgrade on numerous occasions.

OceanBreezes and alohastephen like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    At the end of my first stay, when checking out in the morning, the FD agent actually asked when our flight back to the mainland was (and when told it wouldn't be until 10pm) offered the use of the hospitality suite. I was a mere Platinum at the time. We had planned to tour the island that day and return the rental car to the airport, so we didn't take them up on the offer, but it's definitely worth knowing.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  13. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found them to be less generous than the courtyard I stayed at last year. St hyatt, it was check with us when you need it and we will tell you then if there is one available or the possibility because they were full. This means go out to the beach or wherever, get sweaty and we may or may not help you freshen up. The person I spoke to offered no other option if no rooms were designated for hospitality the next night

14. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I ended up in very good shape, got a king room overlooking the beach on a low floor with some street noise for my stay in the diamond head tower. I rejected the first room I was offered with two single beds in it and a connecting door besides.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I didn't inquire about the actual process, but I sort of assumed that it would be possible to reserve access or otherwise guarantee that it would be available. You are right, if there is no such guarantee, it's not a very useful option as I wouldn't want to gamble and end up flying back without a shower.

16. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:

yes that's where we stayed at. they gave us upgrade to a suite with ocean view - man i can't get enough of the ocean.
    location was prime! I didn't get to check out of the room service. We went to the club floor and asked the staffs to recommend some good Japanese restaurants so there we go :)

OceanBreezes likes this.
  17. noname2
    Original Member

noname2 Silver Member

Status Points:

18. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just checked in a few minutes ago. My first stay since the renovation began. Was told about the plan of moving the lounge to the 3rd floor (?) is going to be delayed. According to the letter in the room, it was slated to be moved by 6/1, but FD said it's not going to be happening then. She echoed my opinion, that they should leave the lounge alone on the 39th floor :)

19. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be checking in tomorrow for a quick trip. What does occupancy seem like right now? I was there back in February and received the Ambassador Suite and the year before that I received the Presidential Suite. Looking forward to another stay at this great property.

20. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to Yuko (the lounge attendant), the occupancy is "dangerously low" - that's her quote. I have stayed there at least 20 times in the past 3 years, and never received any upgrade. And as others have pointed out, diamond suite upgrades are worthless because they will only give you another extra room with connecting door.

21. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the diamond suite upgrades are definitely worthless! I wonder why some people get upgraded and some don't. I have stayed here fairly regularly over the last 4 years. Who knows! Have a great trip.

22. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    All I can say is that the elevators are SLOW.

23. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for saying that. I always bitch about the same thing every time I stayed at the HR Waikiki. The elevators seem to take forever no matter what time of the day or night.

24. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    Elevators haven't been too terribly slow this afternoon for me. Enjoying the sunset from my balcony. Received an excellent room as always. Will be a shame when they move the RC from the 39th floor down to the 3rd.

25. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    We stayed at this property for 5 nights (5/13-18). I used one of my Diamond Suite upgrades (from last year - booked almost a year ago) - and received an Ocean Front Parlor Suite (essentially 2 rooms with one being setup with a small couch and a folding Murphy bed) in the Ewa tower. For us, it was a good setup since there were 2 bathrooms but the room itself was certainly not more "luxurious" than a regular room. This would be a good use of a Diamond Suite upgrade if you were travelling with children (or more than 2 people together). In many ways I prefer the Ocean View rooms that are pictured above in the Diamond tower since I feel that the sideways view of the ocean with a view of Diamond Head is more interesting than the view from the Ocean Front (which you can only see the ocean). Also, the Club level rooms in Diamond Head Tower appear to have the Japanese Toto toilet (with warmer, various spray functions) while the rest of the rooms (including the Ewa Tower Parlor Suite 3209/3210) do not.

The toileteries at this property (at least in the Club level rooms in the Diamond Head Tower and the Parlor Suite in the Ewa tower) are the CocoMango products that people rave about at the GH Kauai. From the appearance, I swear that this is also a Portico product (shape of the containers, wrappers on the soap, even the "massage" bumps on the tub soap). Not that I'm advocating a switch chain wide to this "scent" since it's probably a bit too "tropical" for most city properties but just to note that Portico products can be pleasant (unlike the vile White Ginger).

Regarding the elevator speed, I didn't feel that they were too slow since I never waited more than about 30 seconds for one during either stay. Don't forget that the tower is 40 stories so they can't be much faster than they are. It also does seem like they were programmed appropriately, since it never appeared that 2 of the 4 elevators in each tower were on the same floor at the same time.

OceanBreezes likes this.