Hyatt Regency Vancouver - Review

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by rajuabju, Oct 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just finishing up a 2 night award stay at the HR Vancouver....

I booked the basic award room which was 12k points per night. Upon check-in, was upgraded to a Club level corner room and they offered me both my Diamond amenity and 4pm check out, so good status recognition there.

Staff was very friendly and helpful, especially both Regency Room concierge people who helped with great recommendations on food in the area, and getting me last minute tickets to the Canucks vs Capitol's hockey game (so fun!).

Our room was good, nothing spectacular. 29th floor with a nice view. But the entry (due to being a corner room) was a bit odd, with about a 10 foot long hallway before entering the room. TV was tiny (32inch)? but everything else was nice, including a decent bathroom and very comfortable bed.

Regency Room is nice, was never too full when we were there, standard offerings of bages, fruits, cereal in the morning, light snacks later on, drinks in the afternoon (honor system, and only $4 which is great). Very nice views from the regency room.

We did have drinks at the Gallery lounge... it was ok. Nothing spectacular but a decent hotel bar, they had live Piano last night which was nice.

The hotel location is fantastic, in the heart of downtown. Everything is walkable, including the Robson area, Rogers Arena, Gastown, Chinatown, and we even walked to Granville Island. Access to the skytrain system is easy with the Burrard station half a block away but we didnt use it at all as the weather was nice enough to do some walking.

My wife used the fitness room, its smalish and really just treadmill and bikes, but thats all she needed, so its good enough.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay. We'd definitely stay here again if we come back to Vancouver.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing.

How was the fit and finish of the property? Was it in good shape?

3. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review! Thanks for adding to the MP collection!

4. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    The property is in decent shape overall and has nice views of downtown vancouver (and the mountains) from the top floors and the club lounge. As mentioned above, the location is truly outstanding.

SC Flier likes this.
  5. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think 'decent shape' is a good way to describe this property. I'd stay here again but it is not a memorable hotel. Convenient to the skytrain and straightforward to get to from the airport via public transit.

6. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Concur its in decent shape. I'd rate it slightly above average in terms of the property condition.

7. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds cool about the hockey game! Is that within walking distance as well? I'm not really a big hockey fan but have always wanted to check out a game.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  8. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a huge hockey fan, regular at LA Kings games, but always wanted to experience hockey in Canada. Rogers Arena was about at 20 minute walk from the Hyatt. As a comparison, Granville Island was about a 30 minute walk from the Hyatt.

Normally, I'm not down with walking... and with the Skytrain station so close, we almost didnt, but it was nice and cool for our trip, and we wanted to see some of the City, so it was real nice.

kenbo likes this.
  9. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at this hotel numerous times. The reviews above are spot-on, but I would say that everything changes if you use a confirmed suite upgrade and are upgraded to one of the two two-story rooms they have -- I can't remember what they're called. In a word, they're stunning. They're laid out as lofts with entrances on both floors, floor-to-ceiling windows, large balconies, multiple bathrooms, a skybridge from the upper-floor entrance to the loft bedroom area, and a bar and entertainment area down below. While Mrs Seaflyguy and I were there, we asked one of the employees about it. Apparently many famous people have stayed in those rooms over the years -- Bob Hope and Joe Montana had been in ours, and Wayne Gretzky had stayed in the other for the month prior to the 2010 Winter Olympics. Absolutely incredible.

10. vortoozo
    Original Member

vortoozo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently I've been staying at this property every 1-2 weeks. The staff are fantastic, and the occasional suite upgrade (as a Diamond) is always appreciated. I concur about the 2-story Executive Suite. I believe there are a few different layouts of the Executive Suite - some of which are two corner connecting rooms put together with a living area in one, and bedroom in the other, and some like the one described above.

Diamond benefit recognition is great - on the surface. My experience mirrors the OP with the amenity always being offered along with late check out upon arrival. However, there has been inconsistency with the rest. I've been charged for internet before, have received turndown service only once out of the past six stays, and have even noticed once that the 48-hour reservation guarantee wasn't available at a time where nothing other than a few conferences in Vancouver were occurring. I've also expressed a local newspaper preference which is inconsistently applied.

Small things, all considered. The property is still my favourite in Vancouver, and much of that credit goes to the folks at the Regency Club.

Regency Club will close weekends starting in December, and for the weeks around the holiday season. Full breakfast provided instead..

11. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    The hotel website indicates $28 CAD parking per day, does anyone know of safe, reasonable alternatives?

I'll be driving in from Seattle, so it's not an option to ditch the car.

12. vortoozo
    Original Member

vortoozo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's higher than $28 now. If you're parking on the weekend, it may be cheaper to pay directly at the parking machine in the garage than through the hotel. The front desk clerks will know which one works out better.
    Alternatives include street parking if you get in late and are leaving early. Most overnight garages in that area charge similar prices.

13. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was CAD28 when I was there a few months back. And it is cheaper on the weekend if you don't need in and out privileges. Bear in mind, however, that Friday night is not part of the "weekend" as defined by the parking lot operator (although Sunday night is).

14. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    update on parking:

Hotel rate is 28 CAD + tax which comes to $37+ CAD with in/out privileges

Weekday Parking garage rate is $8 6pm - 6am and then starts charging $3 every 20 minutes after 6 am with a daily max of $23. no in/out privileges

if you don't require in/out privilieges the garage rate tops out at $31 ($8 + $23) so a better deal than the hotel rate and much better if you are leaving early.

Weekend rates are quite a bit cheaper, I don't remember exactly but something like $4 overnight and $8 daily maximum.

15. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently stayed at this property and had a great experience. I wanted to surprise my girlfriend for her birthday by having flowers waiting for her in the room. About two weeks out, I called the main GP Plat reservation number and was transferred to the in-hotel concierge (saving the international toll:)). Vanessa (the concierge) was super friendly and got all of the details needed. As we walked into the room, the flowers were above my (and of course my girlfriends') expectation. As we were walking out, I noticed Vanessa was working. I went over and without saying much other than introducing myself, she immediately remembered the occasion and wished my girlfriend a happy birthday. I was surprised at how on top of it she was. The only complaint I could remotely have is that the flowers were charged to my Hyatt Visa card directly from the florist, not the hotel, so no GP points on them.

We didn't drive to the hotel, but I seem to recall that the parking was more expensive than the prices mentioned in the thread. If you're coming from Seattle and don't need a car in Vancouver (which if you're downtown, you really don't), I highly recommend taking the bus or train to Vancouver. The bus & train stop are 3 skytrain stops away from the hotel (take a Waterfront bound train from Main St-Science World to Burrard).

16. silencer

silencer Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much.

17. Pierre48

Pierre48 Active Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here earlier this month. Late checkout offered on arrival. Club floor room on 29th floor very spacious and in good condition. The Regency Club itself has some outstanding staff. Location was very good. Easy walk to the Sky Train station. Would stay here again.

18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I requested by my booking instructions, my 2 traveling companions arrived before me to check into this hotel. My sister was one of my traveling companions and she was named in the reservation. Instead of following guest reservation instructions, the front desk clerk (Mr. Foxx) unnecessarily held them by not letting them a room. This was very inconvenient and totally not acceptable!

We are Hyatt members and booked using Hyatt.com website and yet the room we were assigned by the FD was on the 9th floor facing an office block! What a scene! I arrived very late at night and did not want to haggle about the location of the room. This building has 33 floors!

This was one of my companions' first visit to Vancouver and we wanted a high floor room to get the full effect. I am cognizant that it all depends on availability but other rooms on higher floors with better views of the city were available the next day. As we were touring early and returning late to the hotel, we suggested that we prepare our luggage and for hotel staff to move us! Again, the FD agent (a female this time) refused saying that Hyatt does not provide this kind of service!!! Really??? How difficult is it to have the porter move luggage from one room to another. Don't you have a bellboy or a porter? We were denied better room again because the staff are not properly trained on how to provide an enjoyable experience to their loyal guests.

We have stayed at at least 10 different Hyatt properties over the years and never been treated so poorly. Contacted afterward by Front Office Manager asking for details about our disappointment and when I sent him a detailed message, he never replied, not even an acknowledgement, adding an insult to injury!

The location is great ... but that was about all from our stay experience! This property is not recommended.