Hyatt Regency Tokyo - REVIEW

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by rajuabju, Aug 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finishing up a quick 3 night stay at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo, located in the Shinjuku district, so here's my review-

Location is very good. It's near the Shinjuku station, which is one of the major subway/rail stations, so makes getting around Tokyo very convenient. Plus the hotel offers a free shuttle which runs every 20 mins to the station, so didnt have to walk in the heat. There are also a few other stations a bit closer to the hotel as well, depending on what line you need to take. I give the location an A rating.

Hotel exterior... honestly, pulling up to the place, it looks like a prison. Wife and I were almost thinking "oh crap, we should have gone to the PH or GH instead" ... then we walk inside, and PHEW. It's quite nicely done! And in all honesty, I dont care if the hotel is crappy from the outside, if the inside is nice.

Lobby is fairly large, and I think well laid out with the front desk / concierge to the left, a restaurant to the right, elevator straight in front. Pretty nice IMO, and certainly very clean.

We had used a suite upgrade, to a whatever suite it was going to be, but upon check-in, was further upgraded to a Diplomat Suite, and LOVED the room. Spacious, clean, great bathroom. Amazing views (even though its only on the 6th floor, our corner room had very nice views). Bed was extremely comfortable. Wifi was fast (need to call front desk and get them to bring a wifi router into the room), and worked throughout the room. I'd grade the room an A. Only detriment, which was minor, is that the closet is near the entrance, no in the bedroom... kind of odd. But everything else was superb inside.

Regency Room was very nice. Its actually quite large, with 3 or 4 separate seating areas. The food selection was ok... nothing particularly insightful or special, but consistently acceptable. Staff in the Regency room were GREAT, very attentive (moreso than any other club room I've been to so far). One minor negative was no bottled water... and when Tokyo is hot and humid in August, this was definitely missed. I give the club a solid B.

Wife reported the fitness room was small but adequate. She did not try out the pool although she said looked very nice.

We didnt try out any of the on-site restaurants, so cant report on those. We did try out New York Grill at the Park Hyatt, and the views from there are stunning. Food was good (but not "amazing") ... very pricey. Live entertainment was nice although I hear the bar portion of the place charges a cover which is kind of odd but since we were eating dinner, no cover for us.

For the price, I think HR Tokyo is a very solid option. Sure, the PH is nicer, and perhaps the GH has a better location in Roppongi (debatable), but I wouldnt hesitate to stay here again, save a bit on the $, and splurge a bit more going out around town. Overall, I give the hotel an A-

2. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking at staying here next year...taking 2 other couples with us, so have to be sensitive to their $$$...so the PH is out. Honestly, at current USDJPY exchange rates...it is out for me too :). Going to shoot for the HR and use 3 suite upgrades...sounds promising.