Hyatt Regency Sochi (opens late 2013)

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by SC Flier, Jul 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt To Manage Hotel in Sochi Russia, Host of the 2014 Winter Games

Hyatt Hotels Corporationannounced today that a Hyatt affiliate has entered into an agreement with Yug – Novy Vek, a subsidiary of leading Russian real estate developer Snegiri Development, to manage Hyatt Regency Sochi, which is under construction and expected to open in late 2013 in Sochi, Russia, host of the 2014 Winter Games.

[​IMG]

2. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they meant "open to the elements"?

icurhere2, ballardFlyer and edcho like this.
  4. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hear that "Russian Time" is even slower than Mexican Time, Caribbean Island Time, or Irish Time! :D

5. zanadude

zanadude Member

Status Points:
    Oh well. I'm sure it will be ready by the next Sochi Olympics.

icurhere2 likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    On our way to Sochi, we stopped in Moscow for a couple of nights and stayed at the Hyatt Moscow. The GM there is responsible for the Hyatt Sochi. He said that the next day he was going to Scohi to review the situation in that the hotel was no where near ready to open. Many of the hotels that had planned to open for the Olympics were not complete. I personally don't believe that there will be the long term demand in Sochi for the big chain hotels. I know Marriott has stopped showing some of the hotels that they had planned for the Olympics.

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tough to foresee future demand exceeding that of the Olympics to utilize all of the unfinished hotel space.

8. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You need to remember that the Olympics wound up using 5 cruise ships to take care of the general public. So basically, even if all the hotels rooms had been finished, there would not have been space for all the Olympic visitors. There will probably be a few events that will require a lot of hotel rooms. The first being the F! Grand Prix race that is scheduled for the later part of this year. Of course one of the problems that they still have is that most of the hotels are in Sochi yet the events are actually in Adler which is a distance from Sochi.

9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where?

10. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A couple of the ships were in the Adler port (Grand Holiday and Louis Olympia) and three or four ships were in the Sochi port (Norwegian Jade, Princess Maria and Princess Anastasia plus one other I believe).

We were on the Grand Holiday and it worked out fine except for transportation to the venues.